advertisement

Kitchen cabinets

Would you consider being buried IN the cabinets?

Something to consider - many companies offer vinyl wrapping services, and the heavy-duty vinyls are superb.
Vinyl wrap? What, for my funeral? No, I'm going with the cardboard coffin and the woodland site, the one where they plant a tree over you, keep the animals off it and in years to come it turns into a wood, or at least a field with trees.

No, I'm going with the cardboard coffin and the woodland site, the one where they plant a tree over you, keep the animals off it and in years to come it turns into a wood, or at least a field with trees.

Yeah, my uncle did that, he went with a wicker coffin but that's about it.

Wicker coffin is a good idea. Me, I'd go with a hessian sack but it would upset the natives. I think it's the Muslims who bury their dead without coffins, just a plain white shroud, which seems like an eco friendly thing to do. I'd sign up for that. There's a woodland place in the Yorks Dales, views of Ingleborough. I'd take that before being stuck in a churchyard.

back to the kitchen!

We are having a completely new kitchen, designed by me, made and installed by a joiner, who happens to be my nephew! Resin double sink and all ash tops. I have been cooking (domestically and the odd 'do') since I was 18, and estimate I have made 18,000 meals in that time. I think I know what a kitchen layout should be, but I have had to work in some really poor ones. Even one where the cooker/range (6 ring/two ovens) was eight feet from the nearest work top, and I had to prepare food for 60! Fortunately only the main course and the (real) custard.

Poggenpohl cabinets

Also, there are companies that will supply new doors and drawer fronts, another way of keeping cost and disruption to a minimum.

My parents had Poggenpohl cabinets of the 1980s generation, and in about 2015 they tried to get one of the door replacement companies (in fact several quoted), and in the end replacement doors were prohibitively expensive, and some of their Poggenpohl drawer fronts and cupboard doors were non standard sizes. It was going to cost about £4k for the doors, drawers and infield plus more of replacement work surfaces......so they decided a new kitchen was better value

Whatever you do don't get a lovely nice glossy black glittery silestone worktop.
Expensive and looks lovely but shows every, and I mean every, handmark, thumbprint, grease spot etc.. a nightmare to keep looking good.
I realised I'd f****d up the day after it was fitted :mad:

Likewise, although we inherited it with the house. Looked amazing on the first day but as you say a nightmare to keep clean

i have used Howdens kitchens a few times , they are ready assembled that saves times and pretty good cabinets . Its interesting to go into a WREN showroom and you will see all the makes on display to compare against the other makes

Recently used B&Q cabinets which are rediculously cheap and not too bad but certainly not the best

magnet are still very much in business and i can imagine they are superb

N;o Howdens don`t allow the public; it has to be through your kitchen fitter
(Answer to BJP)

Allow the public what? Entry to view stock? They certainly did 4 years ago as I visited two branches a number of times to look at their display areas. I'd be surprised if that'd changed. My friend fitted a kitchen earlier in the year and got it from Howdens direct (with 'discount') and he's nothing to do with the trade.

Mind you, he could have fiddled it somehow; not difficult as it's all business to a thriving company.

Last edited:
Two months ago I was refitting my daughter’s flat.

we wanted a type of cabinet size only available at Howdens.

I phoned up asking if they would supply me. They said no problem. I went down and picked it up. No trade card needed.

A friend in Cornwall chose her Howdens kitchen in person at the warehouse, no tradesmen involved. Went back and forth changing things no problem. In my experience these trade only suppliers will deal with anyone.

Last edited:
I bought a Howden's kitchen with granite work surfaces 20 years ago and it has worn very well, in fact I'm about to replace the doors, it could go on for longer I'm sure, but I have someone good ready to do the work and in London I've learned to grab that opportunity. Infive years I expect it will start to show too much wear.

Whether they will supply to you without a tradesman depends very much on whether the person you're dealing with feels like being cooperative for you.

Advice appreciated about cupboard doors.

From Howdens (which is where I want to go) I have three choices -- chipboard, MDF and paintable.

I want to make a decision with the guy who's going to install on Friday, so please, if you know something, please don't hesitate to post!

I've had paintable BFP for 30 years and each time I redecorate they come back as good as new.

I thought the people who advertised as selling to trade were simply trying to make us think they're cheaper; never had one turn down a sale.

Advice appreciated about cupboard doors.

From Howdens (which is where I want to go) I have three choices -- chipboard, MDF and paintable.

I want to make a decision with the guy who's going to install on Friday, so please, if you know something, please don't hesitate to post!

unless you live in a house with the humidity of the Sahara desert avoid MDF like the plague!

advertisement

Back