advertisement

Labour conference 2019, Tom Watson, Momentum etc

JC on Marr. I'd be interested if anyone thought his handling of the admittedly biased, but thoroughly predictable questions was impressive.

1970s trade union dinosaur Len McCluskey on Sophie Ridge show now burping up Trump-like ‘fake news’ rhetoric, blaming the media for everything etc... and Labour wonder where all their centre-ground vote-share went...

The fact is that Corbyn and his dafter chums like McCluskey have always been anti EU, yet the majority of LP members, including Thornberry, Starmer & Watson are strong remainers. It’s an insoluble problem until Corbyn and his pals get thrown out.

In fairness your lot are a heck of a lot worse now they are just a UKIP club for tax-exile millionaires and fraudsters! All the Tory moderates and remainers are in the LDs now!

JC on Marr. I'd be interested if anyone thought his handling of the admittedly biased, but thoroughly predictable questions was impressive.
That is how interviews work, or have done since the 60s. Questioner always adopts the opposite position to test the merits of what is being said. I struggle to think of an example of a neutral question in this context. If JC came out of it well then that is a successful outcome & shows he has some merit.

That is how interviews work, or have done since the 60s. Questioner always adopts the opposite position to test the merits of what is being said. I struggle to think of an example of a neutral question in this context. If JC came out of it well then that is a successful outcome & shows he has some merit.

Indeed. The spotlight should be intense and unwavering, the problem being when some parties are placed under a far brighter spotlight than others. As an example if I had ten minutes to script an interview with say Farage, Rees Mogg or whoever all ten would be used on their dark financing, lies and corruption. Their political opinion is far less important than who owns them IMHO. It sickens me these people evade scrutiny and are allowed to drop their ugly divisive far-right nationalist payload without the financial scams behind it being correctly assessed.

I thought he got it wrong. Marr's bias and attempts to trip were all predictable. But JC's attempts at humour were rather toe curling and he came over as tetchy and condescending which is presumably the kind of reaction Marr was after. He just really isn't a leader and I'm afraid it does matter.

Why are Labour so far behind in the polls given we have possibly the most treacherous and deceitful PM in our history? Maybe it has nothing to do with Corbyn's toxicity with voters, but is solely down to a "coordinated establishment/Blairite/right-wing/media". Silly me, why didn't I realise?

I thought he got it wrong. Marr's bias and attempts to trip were all predictable. But JC's attempts at humour were rather toe curling and he came over as tetchy and condescending which is presumably the kind of reaction Marr was after. He just really isn't a leader and I'm afraid it does matter.
Apologies, I am not a Corbyn supporter BTW, I think I misread your intentions. I thought it was the regular trope of Corbyn standing up against media onslaught 'oh Jeremy' etc. Media bias is very difficult to pin down but BBC tends to favour Govt (I'm afraid they have to & this isn't always a conscious decision) other outlets may favour the opposition or the more extreme parts of the tories. I get a little tetchy on this subject as people generally want a media channel that they agree with, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I have a friend who is more left than I who quotes the Morning Star a lot, thinks it is excellent journalism, whereas in reality it is no more neutral than the Daily Telegraph.

Yes, I agree that Corbyn’s attempt at humour fell on stoney ground, trying humour with Marr did not work. However, what Corbyn says on policy matters and detail. He doesn’t go after the big money grabbing headlines, and it might not get in the Mail, but he has drilled down into a detail that effects effective teaching. Dealing with teacher stress has to be a first and fundamental step to improve teaching.

An interesting new book, it's an academic study but looks to be pretty accessible

4744.jpg

https://www.plutobooks.com/9780745340661/bad-news-for-labour/

Tetchy is a good word for Corbyn. He's always been prone to anger and grumpiness in interviews, but he's a proper grump now, even with the likes of nice Beth Rigby.

Poor temperament for a Prime Minister.

Tetchy is a good word for Corbyn. He's always been prone to anger and grumpiness in interviews, but he's a proper grump now, even with the likes of nice Beth Rigby.

Poor temperament for a Prime Minister.

True, but I’d rather have Eeyore than Lord Flashheart.

Corbyn's Shrodinger's Brexit is a disaster. I doubt it convinces leavers, remainers will be repelled and neutrals confused.

It's also economically illiterate to say we will be better off unless the resulting deal is close to the SM/CU that it makes remain an even more obvious option. I suppose we could be charitable and assume he meant better off in an aggregate sense not just in terms of jobs and money but I don't think anyone will read it that way.

Corbyn's Shrodinger's Brexit is a disaster. I doubt it convinces leavers, remainers will be repelled and neutrals confused.

It's also economically illiterate to say we will be better off unless the resulting deal is close to the SM/CU that it makes remain an even more obvious option. I suppose we could be charitable and assume he meant better off in an aggregate sense not just in terms of jobs and money but I don't think anyone will read it that way.
Anyone not fixated on the idea ‘better off’ can only be in relation to money could well think he meant something other than how you define ‘better off’.

There was a huge pro-EU march in Edinburgh this week end. That’s going to leave the hopeless Scottish Labour Leader, Richard Leonard further out to sea on a punctured li lo, lost in the mists of Lexit, courtesy of Labour HQ. Can the party remind us, which flavour of Brexit produces as many jobs and protects employment rights as much as our current arrangement with the EU?

Yes, I agree that Corbyn’s attempt at humour fell on stoney ground, trying humour with Marr did not work. However, what Corbyn says on policy matters and detail. He doesn’t go after the big money grabbing headlines, and it might not get in the Mail, but he has drilled down into a detail that effects effective teaching. Dealing with teacher stress has to be a first and fundamental step to improve teaching.
Are you referring to Ofsted? I don't think it should be abolished, steps have already been taken to make the inspection progress less stressful. I am in favour of more reform on this front but abolishing it is a political misstep if nothing else; just gives the Govt an easy line of attack. I do think league tables should be scrapped, they are utterly meaningless, drive up house prices & increase inequality.

There was a huge pro-EU march in Edinburgh this week end. That’s going to leave the hopeless Scottish Labour Leader, Richard Leonard further out to sea on a punctured li lo, lost in the mists of Lexit, courtesy of Labour HQ. Can the party remind us, which flavour of Brexit produces as many jobs and protects employment rights as much as our current arrangement with the EU?
Can you remind us, how would Scottish independence in 2014 have made Scotland economically better off? Were you considering more than short term economics?

advertisement

Back