advertisement

Verging on vegetarianism, by accident.

Weak.

So it’s just your opinion then which counts for much less than you’d like to think.
Not weak at all. If you kill an animal and eat it, you’re contributing to damage to the environment, possibly the breeding and rearing of that animal in questionable circumstance and all the other very good reasons for being vegetarian.

Exactly the same if you kill the animal and wear it rather than eat it.

The animal has still been reared and lived in exactly the same way, the only difference is your choice to put its products inside you or wrap them around you.

The animal has lived and died just the same

Yeah all very true but as far as I understand it no one put you in charge of defining what a vegetarian is or isn’t.

If there’s a motivation to see fewer people eating meat then shaming them over their footwear and handbags is hardly going to encourage them.

I only don't eat much meat because I can't be arsed with the expense and hassle of cooking it.

I will occasionally make my own burgers from a bit of 20% fat mince, but actual cuts of meat? I can't remember when I last bought any.

Yeah all very true but as far as I understand it no one put you in charge of defining what a vegetarian is or isn’t.

If there’s a motivation to see fewer people eating meat then shaming them over their footwear and handbags is hardly going to encourage them.

Agree with crimsondonkey.

The OP is only talking about diet & arguing about wider definitions is just avoiding the point - interesting how this almost invariably happens whenever veggie and/or vegan diets are discussed.

I’m pescatarian (och, aye, & a Presbyterian too, if not a practising one), but I do feel there is an environmental imperative to move towards a primarily vegan diet. It will eventually happen, if only for economic reasons.

However, I do eat some meat and I do wear leather shoes so I cannot, in all conscience, call myself a veggie.

I think you are maybe confusing vegetarians with vegans. To my mind the former is purely a diet-based thing, e.g. one could be a vegetarian and even go elephant hunting (assuming one was a totally psychopathic arsehole) as long as you didn’t eat the thing. Vegans have a far more considered mindset and will do nothing that hurts an animal. I don’t think I could ever be a vegan, though I respect the idea hugely.

As I mentioned upthread I am a veggie primarily due to an utter repulsion towards meat as a food, though I do still to this day have/use some leather products. I realise I should improve this aspect and I think I’ll make a decision to buy no more.

There are loads of areas where one can easily be tricked too as meat products are in just about everything, e.g. I like a nice bottle of wine, and there are animal byproducts used in that process. Same with things like mints, sweets etc. Dairy products are dodgy too, e.g. cheese contains some vile animal products way beyond milk, and I really like cheese! Medicine is the same as there is gelatine or whatever in many pills. With society’s current attitudes, which are thankfully changing, it is very hard to avoid it entirely even with the best will. I’ve come to accept that.

I only don't eat much meat because I can't be arsed with the expense and hassle of cooking it.

I will occasionally make my own burgers from a bit of 20% fat mince, but actual cuts of meat? I can't remember when I last bought any.
I don’t know why you feel the need to personalise what is after all just an expression of an opinion backed up by argument. I thought that’s what forums like this were about? If you wish to wrap yourself in a veggie flag that’s up to up, but if that flag is hiding a knee length leather coat underneath any subsequent questions do have a certain legitimacy I feel

I don’t know why you feel the need to personalise what is after all just an expression of an opinion backed up by argument. I thought that’s what forums like this were about? If you with to wrap yourself in a veggie flag that’s up to up, but if that flag is hiding a knee length leather coat, any subsequent questions do have a certain legitimacy I feel

Eh?

I think you are maybe confusing vegetarians with vegans. To my mind the former is purely a diet-based thing, e.g. one could be a vegetarian and even go elephant hunting (assuming one was a totally psychopathic arsehole) as long as you didn’t eat the thing. Vegans have a far more considered mindset and will do nothing that hurts an animal. I don’t think I could ever be a vegan, though I respect the idea hugely.

As I mentioned upthread I am a veggie primarily due to an utter repulsion towards meat as a food, though I do still to this day have/use some leather products. I realise I should improve this aspect and I think I’ll make a decision to buy no more.

There are loads of areas where one can easily be tricked too as meat products are in just about everything, e.g. I like a nice bottle of wine, and there are animal byproducts used in that process. Same with things like mints, sweets etc. Dairy products are dodgy too, e.g. cheese contains some vile animal products way beyond milk, and I really like cheese! Medicine is the same as there is gelatine or whatever in many pills. With society’s current attitudes, which are thankfully changing, it is very hard to avoid it entirely even with the best will. I’ve come to accept that.
Sorry, but I disagree. Choosing not to eat meat is fine, but confining yourself to just stopping eating meat will do little to slow down meat production. If a cow is slaughtered it is rendered into meat for human consumption, dog food, leather goods, glue and a hundred other things, just taking human food out of the pile without reducing the other piles will not have the necessary impact

I don’t know why you feel the need to personalise what is after all just an expression of an opinion backed up by argument. I thought that’s what forums like this were about? If you with to wrap yourself in a veggie flag that’s up to up, but if that flag is hiding a knee length leather coat, any subsequent questions do have a certain legitimacy I feel

Far out, re the first sentence, I was going to say almost exactly the same thing. I also dislike cleaning up afterwards. Animal fat mess, blurrgh. I'm far more likely to eat meat if someone else does the dirty work.

I buy salami once in a while for pizzas, and the occasional specialty sausage. A good venison sausage is tasty and low in fat and faff.

Ultimately though I'd be quite happy to go without meat if it wasn't an option. I was strictly vegetarian for much of the 90s and know the ways. Cheese is another story!

Not cheese any more. 95% of cheese has veggie rennet from microbial sources. Pretty much 100% of UK super market stuff. Look on the label.

That is excellent news! For a long while I’ve deliberately not looked on the label as I love cheese and if I knew it contained some vile boiled-up cow gunk I’d not buy it!

Having spent 10 years as a near-vegetarian (failing on several counts per points raised in the thread) and a further 20 as a pescatarian I have in the last couple of years started to eat meat, very occasionally. Primarily in the form of steak and chips, the only meat I ever really missed, about once a month.

Why? Partly because I like steak. However, I’ve genuinely influenced more friends to cut down on meat, in their cases eating veggie meals once or twice a week, than I ever could when I was a non-meat-eater.

Bizarre.

Overall, the planet is utterly f-ed (for human habitation purposes) if we don’t ALL start to feel that our small changes of habit will contribute to an improvement. Even if that only buys us more time to find climate-change-reversal methods in the next few decades - which I suspect is our only true hope.

I don't each much meat; mainly chicken and that's not really meat, is it?

I gave up meat in the early 90s but when in Australia a few years on from that and saying I was a veggie I often got the reply, 'so you eat chicken then?'

Weird. You're not from the land down under are you Joe?

One of the tricky aspects of going veg is the risk of putting on weight by eating more carbs...

I've got a daughter with exactly this problem, she fills up on carbs and cheese.

I 'm not a veggie but I eat far more veg than any vegetarian I've ever lived with.

Overweight but at least my critical health markers are all on spec.

advertisement

Back