advertisement

ZYX Cartridge Opinions

DimitryZ

pfm Member
I now have a table that allows for very fast cart/headshell changes, so I have been building up a representative low-cost MC collection.

I now have about 10 cartridges from the great lines: AT, Ortofon, Benz, Hana, Dynavector, Denon, Koetsu as well as storied Hifi companies - Yamaha and Pioneer. Most of these have been carefully purchased as lightly used for a few hundred dollars or less, with the exception of the vintage Koetsu Rosewood ($1k).

Should I round out my collection with the ZYX R50 Bloom III, their lowest priced offering, but certainly not cheap at about a thousand dollars. An alternative would be to seek a Clearaudio MC, which my collection also lacks.

My goal is not to get "best cartridge" but rather be able to appreciate the differences between the great cartridge designs, past and present.

Very good cartridge but works best with medium mass tonearms , compliance is around 12cu if memory serves but fairly light weight . I’ve had mk2 and regret selling it , one day definitely I buy one again , I found it more to my liking than more expensive R100.

I've had a few ZYX carts (R50L, R50H & R100) and really rate them. It was only when I got a Decca Gold I realised they were quite a similar sound but the Decca was just more engaging and enjoyable.

That's a heck of an ambition, Dimitri, and maybe the basis of a comparative review in that price ball-park. I'd baulk at setting up each of those cart's for optimum performance, though, even if they're in detachable head-shells. The Rosewood stands out a bit there in many respects. think you need to add Transfiguration and Lyra to that list, although the former is, alas, no more.

That's a heck of an ambition, Dimitri, and maybe the basis of a comparative review in that price ball-park. I'd baulk at setting up each of those cart's for optimum performance, though, even if they're in detachable head-shells. The Rosewood stands out a bit there in many respects. think you need to add Transfiguration and Lyra to that list, although the former is, alas, no more.
I would like to, but alas I think both are above my usual price points...

If you buy a bunch of mid priced cartridges I’m afraid all you are likely to discover is that many cartridges sound very similar.

If you buy a bunch of mid priced cartridges I’m afraid all you are likely to discover is that many cartridges sound very similar.

Is this confined only to budget or mid-priced cart's? Is an AT, Denon or lower Ortofon going to have similar presentations? I have no experience at this end of the ladder but would be surprised if this was the situation.

In truth it’s a bit of a generalisation Mike. However, I would say there are, in my direct experience, similar brand based differences. As the price increases these house sounds start to fracture. The majority of budget cartridges share a lot of qualities defined by their stylus shape, tip mass etc. and, for whatever reason, mid priced cartridges often seem to conform to a given house sound. It is only when you get to the higher end models that more care appears to have been spent in their voicing (potentially both a blessing and a curse).

Very good cartridge but works best with medium mass tonearms , compliance is around 12cu if memory serves but fairly light weight . I’ve had mk2 and regret selling it , one day definitely I buy one again , I found it more to my liking than more expensive R100.

You can increase the mass of any ZYX cartridge with the addition of a TB or SB headshell (+2.7gms & +4gms respectively).
Note: These can only be fitted when ordering the cartridge from new. Some of the more expensive models (Ultimate 4D, Ultimate Omega, Ultimate Dynamic and Ultimate Diamond) come with these fitted as standard.

In truth it’s a bit of a generalisation Mike. However, I would say there are, in my direct experience, similar brand based differences. As the price increases these house sounds start to fracture. The majority of budget cartridges share a lot of qualities defined by their stylus shape, tip mass etc. and, for whatever reason, mid priced cartridges often seem to conform to a given house sound. It is only when you get to the higher end models that more care appears to have been spent in their voicing (potentially both a blessing and a curse).

Genuine question for my benefit but what are we calling mid-priced cartridges, could you give specific examples in, say, the AT, Ortofon, Dynavector ranges? Obviously I have my own view but want to be sure what we're talking about. Thanks...

Just a starter for Scotty above, based upon prices a couple or so years ago. Guess this should be in two categories; m.m. and m.c., as magnets and the like tend to peak at well below the £1000 mark. Very little experience of these, so for m.coils, let's say:

Up to £1200 = budget and £1250 to £3K = mid-price and, from £3K to £10K (and above?) high end.

Of course, cart's (among other audio aspects) have never been so expensive, with the lower £ and 20% VAT. VAT alone, which doesn't represent any intrinsic value whatsoever, on a £3K cart. is nearly £600. This would buy you a very decent m.m. cart !

I'm sure there will be other price point opinions. After all, we talk about budget, mid-price and high end, but can we put a price tag of those arbitrary segments?

I've had a few ZYX carts (R50L, R50H & R100) and really rate them. It was only when I got a Decca Gold I realised they were quite a similar sound but the Decca was just more engaging and enjoyable.
I would concur with this after owning Zyx r100 (twice lol) and a Decca Gold.

On my system I much preferred the Decca just sounded more musical than the Zyx which I felt had no soul if that makes sense?

You can increase the mass of any ZYX cartridge with the addition of a TB or SB headshell (+2.7gms & +4gms respectively).
Note: These can only be fitted when ordering the cartridge from new. Some of the more expensive models (Ultimate 4D, Ultimate Omega, Ultimate Dynamic and Ultimate Diamond) come with these fitted as standard.
Waiting time made me to order what was in stock and I used extra spacer/weight between headshell and cartridge , I ended up with 6gram to get me to 10Hz resonance .

Just a starter for Scotty above, based upon prices a couple or so years ago. Guess this should be in two categories; m.m. and m.c., as magnets and the like tend to peak at well below the £1000 mark. Very little experience of these, so for m.coils, let's say:

Up to £1200 = budget and £1250 to £3K = mid-price and, from £3K to £10K (and above?) high end.

Of course, cart's (among other audio aspects) have never been so expensive, with the lower £ and 20% VAT. VAT alone, which doesn't represent any intrinsic value whatsoever, on a £3K cart. is nearly £600. This would buy you a very decent m.m. cart !

I'm sure there will be other price point opinions. After all, we talk about budget, mid-price and high end, but can we put a price tag of those arbitrary segments?

I would have regarded cartridges up to £200-300 as budget, mid price ranging up to in around £1K and high end to be priced from £1K upwards, though maybe I'm behind the times, of course there is always the cartridges that perform above their prices, Denon 103, Shure V15vmxr, Lyra Dorian, etc

That's sort of where my head was too Darren. In my mind I also had a greater than £2/3k as esoteric and beyond the bounds of any sort of financial categorisation :)

I would concur with this after owning Zyx r100 (twice lol) and a Decca Gold.

On my system I much preferred the Decca just sounded more musical than the Zyx which I felt had no soul if that makes sense?

I have owned aboutn 10-15 £3500 - £7500 top end MC carts. If I had to have/keep/use just one, it would be the Zyx Universe. There is definitely no lacking of soul !

Genuine question for my benefit but what are we calling mid-priced cartridges, could you give specific examples in, say, the AT, Ortofon, Dynavector ranges? Obviously I have my own view but want to be sure what we're talking about. Thanks...
You're straight into the world of; just how much is 'rich'?
MM's tend to peak out around £600ish, so there I'd have said budget is £25-50,(AT 95E) mid range £60-£300 (ortofon 2m Blue) and high end MM's are £300+
MC's start around £250 so budget for me was always £250- 500ish, ( the Ortofon quintets maybe), mid range was 500-1500 (like the dynavector 20 / At 33 etc) and over 1500 is the high end...it goes very very high indeed in price, but then so does everything. Me, I'd not pay more than £2000 since there lies the Ortofon cadenza Black and if that ain't enough then you are into serious exotica territory! Except for a Lyra. I would have a Lyra..Oh and an AN Io gold...that too maybe.
To the OP I think an Ortofon SPU would be a sound contrast, as would a Lyra Delos if you could fine then used in budget.

advertisement

Back