advertisement

Amarra, Roon, Audirvana, or something else?

Amarra, Roon, Audirvana or something else?

• Total voters

Chris P

pfm Member
What do you guys think it’s the best audio software? Some are expensive others not so much.

Which one in your opinion provides the best quality of sound?

Personally I’ve used all 3 but I always end up with Amarra Luxe.

There are a lot of software missing from that list.

I used Audirvana, but when I bought Roon I switched to Roon with HQPlayer. I'm currently using Roon by itself as the upgrade price for my version of HQPlayer is so expensive.

I've also tried Pure Music but found it rather buggy.

J River Media Center should be on that list.

If I just wanted to listen to my own music, I would pick J River. But now I am a heavy user of Qobuz so Roon is my preferred player, though I miss some of J Rivers features.

Audirvana used to be great, the new version is terribly buggy, although the interface is probably the best there is. There isn't a use that goes by without a crash, stall, unable to find track etc etc I wouldnt advise anyone purchasing it.

The customer support is also horrendous, I too am looking for an alternative now. J River is good, but a little too 1990's Windows PC for me.

I used Audirvana for a few years, previously having tried Pure Music & Amarra.
A couple of months ago I tried Roon & despite its heavy cost, it makes all the others I've tried look & sound amateur.

Audirvana used to be great, the new version is terribly buggy, although the interface is probably the best there is. There isn't a use that goes by without a crash, stall, unable to find track etc etc I wouldnt advise anyone purchasing it.

I used Audirvana for years, but Roon + Qobuz won me over. I know Audrirvana can access Qobuz, but the way Roon does it is in a different league.

Today I paid for Roon subscription (with Tidal or Qobuz), so that would be my choice.

I couldn't go back after living with the Roon interface for 2 weeks.

Roon - it just works, and well.

I had Jriver for a while - but ye gads you need to be an expert to play with it - the menus are a mile long.
And trying to make an interface that looked decent - and then you discover the complexity of trying to get other peoples' add-ons to work - this is not a turn it on and play music option. Great if you are a hobbyist.

Audirvana, never misses a beat ime and the plug-in facility allows room correction to be seamlessly integrated along with streaming services. The room correction makes more positive difference than any other aspect or kit for me.

Not sure it quite fits, but Logitech Media Server (opensource and free despite it's name) and Squeezelite works across many platforms and is extremely well supported by it's 'community'.

I opted for Amarra 3 over Audivarna+. Haven't tried the rest (so have no real idea which is best).

I used Audirvana for years, but Roon + Qobuz won me over. I know Audrirvana can access Qobuz, but the way Roon does it is in a different league.

I would be up for changing to Roon, but my CA 851N isn't Roon Ready sadly, and its a great DAC and Streamer, trying to beat it with a Roon ready device would end up costing a fortune. So maybe when it breaks....

J River Media Center should be on that list.

If I just wanted to listen to my own music, I would pick J River. But now I am a heavy user of Qobuz so Roon is my preferred player, though I miss some of J Rivers features.
I added the J River Media on the list..

Not sure it quite fits, but Logitech Media Server (opensource and free despite it's name) and Squeezelite works across many platforms and is extremely well supported by it's 'community'.

Thanks Jen,

I’ll add those two as well..
:)

Great point, LMS and Squeezelite are still the best free distributed audio system you could conjure. Only reason I switched is Roon, otherwise I’d still be using it.

Another to add to the poll is mpd which is leveraged by the likes of Volumio

I can’t add any
Great point, LMS and Squeezelite are still the best free distributed audio system you could conjure. Only reason I switched is Roon, otherwise I’d still be using it.

Another to add to the poll is mpd which is leveraged by the likes of Volumio
more options for voting. I’ll have to take something out to include the Squeezelite and MPD

advertisement

Back