advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

I have just played Lou Donaldson - 'Mr Shing-a-Ling' and again another great recording and mastering in this Tone Poet series. I think I'm never going to be the greatest fan of soul jazz and organ, but as Graham said side two here is very good and Donaldson and Lonnie Smith on the Tone Poets and BN80's are slowly winning me over.

I have all the Tone Poet series now and I'm looking to Blackfire and Introducing Kenny Burrell arriving on Friday or Saturday.

Mr Shing a Ling definitely a one sided LP, but what a side. The final track alone is worth admission price IMO.

Looking forward to the Burrell and Hill too.

From what I can gather from Joe Harley posts over at H-man, Hutcherson’s Oblique and a single LP of The Kicker have also been confirmed for 2020 release. I was hoping for Dialogue, but it’s good news regardless. Fans of Ellington will be pleased to know Money Jungle has been confirmed. About time that album was given some respect, reissues have been pretty poor so far.

Kevin,
I have played my copy now and the only adverse thing I hear is a little very low level non fill noise at the very start of side 3, that pretty much disappears as the music starts. Otherwise the wonderful inky black background of all these Tone Poets. I assume you are not mistaking the finger clicks, particularly on side 4 'Throw it Away', where the frequency is close to each record revolution in places,for vinyl faults? [...]

And I really liked her interpretations on this record and the guitar fills by Fabrizio Scotti. I had to play it through again straight away as the impressive sound quality distracted me from the music at first. I have about 4 of her albums on CD and they are good, but not in the same league as this.

Hi

I had another listen last night and side 3 and 4 are a little crackly in place - intermittent pops and a few spots where the track crackles for a couple of rotations.

TBH I can live with it and, for me, it's not at a level to give a reason to return it. Despite the few crackles it is still better that 75% of new vinyl I pick up, just nowhere near as silent as the other Tone Poets I've bought so far.

I agree about the quality of the record - sonically its rather beautiful but it is also a very fine record regardless of the remaster. Like you, first time Rond I was listening to the the recording not the music but then stated to really enjoy the arrangements and playing.

Kevin

I agree about the quality of the record - sonically its rather beautiful but it is also a very fine record regardless of the remaster. Like you, first time Rond I was listening to the the recording not the music but then stated to really enjoy the arrangements and playing.

Kevin
...... and your right earlier about the lack of song writing credits on this album. It's usual to add this and the Music Publishers for copyright reasons. Strange and I think only Dylan gets a mention in the thanks list?

Mr Shing a Ling definitely a one sided LP, but what a side. The final track alone is worth admission price IMO.

Looking forward to the Burrell and Hill too.

From what I can gather from Joe Harley posts over at H-man, Hutcherson’s Oblique and a single LP of The Kicker have also been confirmed for 2020 release. I was hoping for Dialogue, but it’s good news regardless. Fans of Ellington will be pleased to know Money Jungle has been confirmed. About time that album was given some respect, reissues have been pretty poor so far.

I thought the series ended in 2019 - is there an updated list of tone poet releases for 2020? That's going to hurt my wallet.

I thought the series ended in 2019 - is there an updated list of tone poet releases for 2020? That's going to hurt my wallet.

Joe Harley over at Steve Hoffman has confirmed the Tone Poet series will continue in 2020 and 2021. The thread is currently at 2017 pages, but no complete future lists have been finalised or announced yet, just the odd title confirmation by Joe. Good luck, and yes, it may cost you a small fortune:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tone-poet-jazz-reissue-series.795822/page-217

If a complete list for 2020 is announced, I’ll post it here.

Joe Harley has confirmed that the series will now continue into 2021:
"Hey guys, I get just as excited about getting new test pressings as you do when the release comes out believe me. I was telling Don the other day that much of my motivation comes from wanting to hear my favorites in the best possible way, just like everyone else. 2020 is going to be better than the 2019 TP series, there's no doubt about it! And I'm getting excited about 2021 as well, grabbing titles for that too. There are SO many worthy titles that are crying out to be presented..."

Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor Vol. 1, Duke Ellington- Money Jungle, Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game, Chet Baker - Sings, Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (and or possibly The Kicker, but the whole recording on CD is about 54 minutes so would really require a double album) are confirmed by Joe Harley for 2020, but no release dates.

Joe Harley over at Steve Hoffman has confirmed the Tone Poet series will continue in 2020 and 2021. The thread is currently at 2017 pages, but no complete future lists have been finalised or announced yet, just the odd title confirmation by Joe.

Wow 2017 pages :eek: would take some effort 217 (now 218) is bad enough to keep up with. ;)

Wow 2017 pages :eek: would take some effort 217 (now 218) is bad enough. ;)

Whoops! Very warm here today, and my mind is elsewhere immersed in Robert Macfarlane - that’s my excuse. But don’t worry, like the MM thread it will probably easily reach 2017 pages in time......

BTW, did you see the post by JH page 215? The Kicker will probably be a single LP, dropping the only standard If Ever I Would Leave You. Apparently the feeling is the LP is preferable without it. Another one to look forward to.

Whoops! Very warm here today, and my mind is elsewhere immersed in Robert Macfarlane - that’s my excuse. But don’t worry, like the MM thread it will probably easily reach 2017 pages in time......

BTW, did you see the post by JH page 215? The Kicker will probably be a single LP, dropping the only standard If Ever I Would Leave You. Apparently the feeling is the LP is preferable without it. Another one to look forward to.

Yes I just caught up with that page and came back here to edit my post Graham, but you beat me to it. I said it was difficult keeping up over there.

"Highly likely that it will be a single LP and drop the standard If Ever I Would Leave You. The rest of the program are all original compositions and the whole thing just flows so much better without that tune. Cuscuna and I spoke at length about this and he agrees 100%, even saying he wishes now he had never included it on the original release". Joe Harley.

Very warm here today, and my mind is elsewhere immersed in Robert Macfarlane - that’s my excuse. .

Are you reading Underlands? I finished it last week and think it was one of the best books I've read for many years: his use of language is astonishing. I got totally lost in it and was left with a desire to head underground and into silence.

Kevin

Are you reading Underlands? I finished it last week and think it was one of the best books I've read for many years: his use of language is astonishing. I got totally lost in it and was left with a desire to head underground and into silence.

Kevin

Yes I am, and I'd agree with your comments - except I suffer with claustrophobia and just reading this book requires a certain degree of claustrophilia. I'm about two thirds through, and finding it difficult to put down. I'd recommend all his books, he's a very diverse, imaginative and engaging writer. When the weather is this hot I find listening difficult, even Tone Poets.

Just picked up the Burrell and Hill. Packing for the Burrell was a bubble wrap sleeve placed in a paper envelope. Luckily the sleeve hasn’t been creased. Null points Amazon

Just picked up the Burrell and Hill. Packing for the Burrell was a bubble wrap sleeve placed in a paper envelope. Luckily the sleeve hasn’t been creased. Null points Amazon

Blimey - my Amazon-delivered Hill arrived today clad in bubble wrap, a sturdy cardboard sleeve, then place inside a box with plenty of padding. Complete overkill - but no dents :)

Blimey - my Amazon-delivered Hill arrived today clad in bubble wrap, a sturdy cardboard sleeve, then place inside a box with plenty of padding. Complete overkill - but no dents :)

That’s how many of the others have shipped. Apart from this one they’ve always been in at least a sturdy cardboard mailer.

Looks like Lee Morgan's 'The Cooker' recorded in 1957 can be added to the above list of titles that Joe Harley has confirmed for 2020 or 2021.

Just settling down to play the Kenny Burrell & Andrew Hill albums :)

Just on my second listen of the Kenny Burrell and, to me at least, what a wonderful thing it is too. The Andrew Hill will take me another listen or two to get into it as, again to me at least being new to all this, it's a more difficult listen not having more "mainstream" rhythms. Would that be a reasonable comment or am I that "jazz naive" to not even get that right?

advertisement

Back