advertisement

sad day for johnsons bakery

graystoke4

pfm Member
hi i live in notts just been told today my local bakery /bread shop is closing its doors today, not because he is doing no trade the place is always packed and you have to order bread and rolls at least a day before, meals are always sold out on the day road diggers and gas men etc ,NO this is a great family business, he and his brother are just fed up of getting up at 02-00am every morning to start making the doe, etc, been doing it for 50 years, nice guys nice shop, but sometimes life and health comes before money , me and people on my street will be sorry to see them go,just thought i would let you know it is pissing it down now v-heavy in notts, another great shop going

inside-the-head-of-the-drunken-bakers-creator-2-1556649912-9-Te-L-column-width-inline.png

http://viz.co.uk/category/drunken-bakers/

We had a local bakery with 6 or so shops in town and the villages. The last one went 10 years or so ago loved their rolls and fillings, cakes etc,
all irrelevant as I am gluten intolerant.

Bloss

hi i live in notts just been told today my local bakery /bread shop is closing its doors today, not because he is doing no trade the place is always packed and you have to order bread and rolls at least a day before, meals are always sold out on the day road diggers and gas men etc ,NO this is a great family business, he and his brother are just fed up of getting up at 02-00am every morning to start making the doe, etc, been doing it for 50 years, nice guys nice shop, but sometimes life and health comes before money , me and people on my street will be sorry to see them go,just thought i would let you know it is pissing it down now v-heavy in notts, another great shop going
It is sad, my local grocer and butchers closed a few years ago and it was real loss to the high street and the local community. They were successful and busy shops ran by a husband and wife, however the lady running the grocery had a cancer scare and although she made a full recovery, her husband (the butcher) decided at it was time to call it a day and start enjoying their lives whilst they still had their health. I think they did the right thing, they were in their 70s by the time they retired. The local barber has just retired too after about 50 years working from the same shop, he’s in his mid 70s, enough is enough. Someone else has taken over the barber shop, hope they have similar success.

who really want s to work 80 hrs a week ouch
Nobody in their right mind, I’ve done as many as 90 hours in a week, but not because I wanted to. I’d got a baby on the way, unplanned pregnancy, still lived with my parents, I did what I needed to do to get a nice first home for my family... I couldn’t have sustained it long term, it really sucked.

My local butcher was sold recently, the original owner was still working at 86, another family has taken over but I rarely go in there now, I used to buy steak for the family every Saturday, did that for about ten years but we now buy steak from Aldi which is easily as good and about half the price of the butcher and occasionally we buy from Donald Russel.

Nobody in their right mind, I’ve done as many as 90 hours in a week, but not because I wanted to. I’d got a baby on the way, unplanned pregnancy, still lived with my parents, I did what I needed to do to get a nice first home for my family... I couldn’t have sustained it long term, it really sucked.

Mid 80s a pal took up a baker apprenticeship with a national chain.
His hours weren't too long, but brutal shift times (2:30am - 9.30am) and only Sundays off.

Not that sad a story, they've run a successful business & have the sense to get out before it's too late. Plenty of really good bakers around near me.

advertisement

Back