advertisement

sad day for johnsons bakery

Count your blessings, sadly I reckon you're in the less than 1%.
I do feel lucky. I think it gets easier with age. I've had jobs I absolutely hated and stuck them for years. I remember once driving to work and there had been an accident so there was a jam. My immediate thought was "Oh s**t, a jam...ah well, better than being in that f*ing factory". That's when it's time to get out. It changed for me when I had the accident. Life changing injuries and 18 months out of work with time to think. A "permanent" job turned out to be nothing of the kind when they dropped me like a hot brick as soon as the extent of my injuries became clear. Some "temporary" work turned into the career change I have now been following for 8 years and plan to continue until I retire. That's probably another 8 years, maybe more or less, depends on how I feel. I don't want to stop working yet, having experienced a long break I worked out that work has a function other than simply providing money. It's about making a contribution, having a purpose, and part of your identity. I'd still do something resembling work if I had a lottery win. OK, I might not be in a factory somewhere dull, but I'd do something. Water supplies in Africa, food production and distribution systems in the 3rd World, and so on.

Last edited:
I followed 'do something you can enjoy' advice from mentor.
imo this is the secret of a long working life.

I followed 'do something you can enjoy' advice from mentor.
imo this is the secret of a long working life.
Sure. Now know how to identify it at a young age. Then continue to enjoy it over a 40+ year working period. Bear in mind that over this time you will change and so will the job. Not so easy, all of a sudden.

ime the secret of a long working life is also knowing when it's time to move on.

hi i live in notts just been told today my local bakery /bread shop is closing its doors today, not because he is doing no trade the place is always packed and you have to order bread and rolls at least a day before, meals are always sold out on the day road diggers and gas men etc ,NO this is a great family business, he and his brother are just fed up of getting up at 02-00am every morning to start making the doe, etc, been doing it for 50 years, nice guys nice shop, but sometimes life and health comes before money , me and people on my street will be sorry to see them go,just thought i would let you know it is pissing it down now v-heavy in notts, another great shop going

Hi Graystoke, I don't suppose this is in Colwick by any chance, kind of behind where the KFC is on the run out to Netherfield? If it is, I went to school with both of the brothers Gary and Kevin as I recall. I recall Kevin (if it is them and who was in my class at school) fondly telling us how his father made a fortune in the seventies when everyone else was on strike, he worked around the clock and had customers queing for miles!

I can't blame them for not wanting to keep getting up at those ungodly hours, must really take its toll after a while. Hope they are all okay as you mentioned health? They are a lovely family and I have fond memories of messing about as yoof with Kevin, I'll never forget, and I doubt he will, running into the back of him a t-junction near to where he lived (Thurgaton at the time) after not long passing my test, talk about school boy error! ;)

I no longer live in Notts but spent the best part of 40 years there so no it very, very well!

If it happens to be them and your passing by or popping in tell them Fitzy says hi

Cheers

Gingerbeard (Fitzy)

Hi Graystoke, I don't suppose this is in Colwick by any chance, kind of behind where the KFC is on the run out to Netherfield? If it is, I went to school with both of the brothers Gary and Kevin as I recall. I recall Kevin (if it is them and who was in my class at school) fondly telling us how his father made a fortune in the seventies when everyone else was on strike, he worked around the clock and had customers queing for miles!

I can't blame them for not wanting to keep getting up at those ungodly hours, must really take its toll after a while. Hope they are all okay as you mentioned health? They are a lovely family and I have fond memories of messing about as yoof with Kevin, I'll never forget, and I doubt he will, running into the back of him a t-junction near to where he lived (Thurgaton at the time) after not long passing my test, talk about school boy error! ;)

I no longer live in Notts but spent the best part of 40 years there so no it very, very well!

If it happens to be them and your passing by or popping in tell them Fitzy says hi

Cheers

Gingerbeard (Fitzy)

Could be. The one I'm thinking of is in Sneinton on the corner of two streets from memory, I've stopped off and got a cob from them a couple of times, not recently though. Might have it confused with a different one though

Could be. The one I'm thinking of is in Sneinton on the corner of two streets from memory, I've stopped off and got a cob from them a couple of times, not recently though. Might have it confused with a different one though

Yes, you're probably right I couldn't think of the area as I was thinking St. Annes initially but figured that was just a bit to far away, so yes it more than likely is Snienton. I'm sure it must be them, what are the chances of there being two bakeries called Johnsons run by brothers with that surname in Nottingham! :confused::)

hi gingerbeard , and matt, yes you are both right great guy's but years and years getting up at 2am must wear thin especially after so many years at the helm, i mean what time would you have to go to bed 20.oo pm , i hope they can find another baker to take over, don't really know what the chances of that happening though, are bakers a dying breed, and it would never be the same,
thanks to all, i have had so much feedback to this simple personal thread,

advertisement

Back