advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+22)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want some scary polling? Of course you do!

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1143156829343457285

Brexit preferences if a deal has not been approved by October 31st:
44% ~ Leave without a deal
23% ~ Cancel Brexit
15% ~ Delay Brexit to hold a 2nd referendum
7% ~ Delay Brexit to provide more time to negotiate an acceptable deal
11% ~ Don't Know

This is the killer though:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1143189819692081152

Leaving with no deal on 31st October if no deal has been approved is the preference of 14% of remain voters.

Presumably these are the ones who argue that the people’s vote is sacrosanct
I guess there'll be some of them. Others will just be so disgusted with the state of the remain campaign since the ref that they've gone over to the other side. Whether they'd go through with it in the booth is another matter. But it's a reminder that there is a range of remain opinion - a pretty f____ing wide one!

I guess there'll be some of them. Others will just be so disgusted with the state of the remain campaign since the ref that they've gone over to the other side. Whether they'd go through with it in the booth is another matter. But it's a reminder that there is a range of remain opinion - a pretty f____ing wide one!
Not so much hard Remain as soft and sloppy Remain. Remainorrhoea.

So some people are not basing their choices on economic or social positions or on evidence, but on a dislike of the ‘remain side’ (whatever that is.)

That’s Jeremy Hunt that is.

Stephen

So some people are not basing their choices on economic or social positions or on evidence, but on a dislike of the ‘remain side’ (whatever that is.)

That’s Jeremy Hunt that is.

Stephen
Probably some, yes. If you insult people for 3 years it doesn't do your position much good.

You want some scary polling? Of course you do!(snip)
Leaving with no deal on 31st October if no deal has been approved is the preference of 14% of remain voters.
Brexit has become a religion. It always was a decision based on faith and not philosophy, after all there were as many versions of Brexit as there were Brexit voters. Everybody thought they could cherry pick from the range of EU options. "Yes please, well I'd like the tariff-free beef (50% outside the EU), my wife will have the tariff free VW Beetle, and we'll have the tariff free Prosecco. All served up by an English waiter. Thank you".

Didn't work out like that did it? But the 52% still want out, and they now want out *at any price*. It's an item of faith.

So were are now in a land of Brexit fundamentalism. There is only one true path to enlightenment. It has to happen and there can be no deviation from the course. Here we go, it's going to hurt.

Probably some, yes. If you insult people for 3 years it doesn't do your position much good.

We are talking about people who haven't been insulted or called names, but who feel sorry for leave voters that have.

It's upset them so much that they'll change their view on the most momentous decision the UK has faced in a hundred years.

Insults have been both ways in this divisive, pointless Brexit.

And the leave side wins on racism, incitement to violence and actual death of a MP, does it not? Is that an insult? Is pointing out to Labour leave voters that they voted for a Tory Brexit? Are facts an insult now?

I wonder how many leave voters have been tempted to change their opinion to staying in the EU because of Farage and Johnson's racist comments? Or the loss of jobs and opportunities? Or the drop in the value of sterling and credit rating?

Stephen

So were are now in a land of Brexit fundamentalism. There is only one true path to enlightenment. It has to happen and there can be no deviation from the course. Here we go, it's going to hurt.

Polly Toynbee in The Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/25/britain-remain-brexit-tory-party

An extract:

"Out in the real world, only a quarter of voters want a no-deal Brexit. For more than 18 months YouGov founder Peter Kellner has recorded a majority who now think the referendum result was wrong. For a year there has been an eight-point lead for remain, among all polls. This has become a remain-majority country. This seminal fact – mostly due to Labour voters changing their minds, plus the older, more pro-Brexit voters dying, and the young, more remain, entering the register – is missing from most public discussion. Why?

A Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday found 54% for remain, 46% for leave. Did you miss that? That’s because the Brexit-backing paper omitted it from its report, but it’s on the Survation site. Also missing was Survation’s Westminster result: Labour in the lead on 26%, Tories 24%, Brexit party 20%, Liberal Democrats 18%. Add in 11% for the Greens, Scottish National party and Plaid Cymru combined, and in total remainers are well ahead of the leavers.

Yet the UK is in mortal danger of being dragged into a no-deal Brexit against its will, with no vote, no say."

Polly Toynbee in The Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/25/britain-remain-brexit-tory-party

An extract:

"Out in the real world, only a quarter of voters want a no-deal Brexit. For more than 18 months YouGov founder Peter Kellner has recorded a majority who now think the referendum result was wrong. For a year there has been an eight-point lead for remain, among all polls. This has become a remain-majority country. This seminal fact – mostly due to Labour voters changing their minds, plus the older, more pro-Brexit voters dying, and the young, more remain, entering the register – is missing from most public discussion. Why?

A Survation poll for the Mail on Sunday found 54% for remain, 46% for leave. Did you miss that? That’s because the Brexit-backing paper omitted it from its report, but it’s on the Survation site. Also missing was Survation’s Westminster result: Labour in the lead on 26%, Tories 24%, Brexit party 20%, Liberal Democrats 18%. Add in 11% for the Greens, Scottish National party and Plaid Cymru combined, and in total remainers are well ahead of the leavers.

Yet the UK is in mortal danger of being dragged into a no-deal Brexit against its will, with no vote, no say."
This is precisely why the Conservative Party can never accede to a public vote on their real world Brexit - it would kick the stool out from under their feet. The fact that Corbyn is pursuing the same line ( but softened with ‘maybe yes maybe no/ we don’t think it’s so important to let the people decide) speaks volumes about their predicament- ie they may not get out of this alive either.

I wonder how many leave voters have been tempted to change their opinion to staying in the EU because of Farage and Johnson's racist comments? Or the loss of jobs and opportunities? Or the drop in the value of sterling and credit rating?
One of my friends has. He did a lot of reading before the vote and said "you know what, on the balance of probabilities I think we're probably economically better off out". It was a well researched, non partisan, philosophical view. His view is now "I may have got it wrong. Having looked at the events of the last 3 years it appears that the financial costs may be greater than they appeared to be prior to the vote. Still, it's not too late to back out."

If only our politicians could be so mature.

This is precisely why the Conservative Party can never accede to a public vote on their real world Brexit - it would kick the stool out from under their feet. The fact that Corbyn is pursuing the same line ( but softened with ‘maybe yes maybe no/ we don’t think it’s so important to let the people decide) speaks volumes about their predicament- ie they may not get out of this alive either.
48125305283_8dfba6f17b_o.jpg

It destroys everything it touches. I reckon the tally will be three Prime Ministers and at least one leader of the opposition, followed by the “United Kingdom”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back