advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+22)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Tariq Ali quote from The Independent article, which came out on 16 May 2016:

"Jeremy Corbyn is “completely opposed to the EU” and would be campaigning for a vote to leave if he was not leading the Labour Party, one of his oldest political allies has claimed."

One time International Marxist Tariq Ali was 100% right.

Corbyn has turned out to be as much of a con artist as Theresa May, Cameron, Boris Johnson and the rest of them.

Corbyn did hardly any campaigning for Remain prior the Referendum and is an out-and-out Brexiteer.

This is why he still won't agree to a second referendum on any deal, which would include a Remain choice.

Tariq Ali voted to Leave. I saw him do a Q/A session after a documentary about left-wing politics in the Sixties and Seventies a few years ago. He was great.

As it says in Wiki "He has been described as "the alleged inspiration" for the Rolling Stones' song "Street Fighting Man", recorded in 1968. John Lennon's "Power to the People" was inspired by an interview Lennon gave to Ali."

Jack
Have you nothing else to say about anything Jack? I'm sure we're well past the point of thread crapping by this stage.

Have you nothing else to say about anything Jack? I'm sure we're well past the point of thread crapping by this stage.

Thread crapping is precisely what you are doing. I have replied to a post put up on this thread where Tariq Ali said that Corbyn would be campaigning for Leave if he wasn't the leader of the Labour Party.

Your comment here is, to be quite honest, pathetic.

Jack

Thread crapping is precisely what you are doing. I have replied to a post put up on this thread where Tariq Ali said that Corbyn would be campaigning for Leave if he wasn't the leader of the Labour Party.

Your comment here is, to be quite honest, pathetic.

Jack
Sorry Jack I shouldn't have personalised, it's just that it's relentless finger jabbing stuff. Best I just let go of this, to be honest.

Sorry Jack I shouldn't have personalised, it's just that it's relentless finger jabbing stuff. Best I just let go of this, to be honest.

Thanks Sean. I was going to suggest we ignore each other's posts, but that would undermine the debate. :)

Ironically enough Tariq Ali left the IMG and joined Labour in 1981. He did this to support Tony Benn in his bid to become deputy leader. They were both political heroes of mine, apart from the EEC/EU and no doubt one or two other issues.

Jack

Hoey and Flint at least supported the Government again. They’d vote against a no confidence as well I suspect.

How do these people still have the whip? Voting against a Labour motion?

I lost the will to Search further.

Stephen

Will the eight Labour MPs against the proposal today vote to ensure No Deal happens on October 31st, because there will be another effort to stop it. It wouldn't surprise me if they do.

It is starting to look like Johnson could be PM. The original Sky rundown after his speech today mentioned the questions he didn't answer, like cocaine usage. Later on when reporters were querying Tory MPs all of that seemed to have been swept under the nostril.

I don't think Osborne's Evening Standard mentioned it at all. They seem to be backing Johnson to be PM.

Martin Fletcher at The New Statesman has got it right though Repellent, chaotic and a serial liar, Boris Johnson would be a catastrophic prime minister https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...JrzGPdNlivu8qJglGpDflH6OSQmgcNAvKVPw-VIrRzATs

Jack

True. Makes it hard for him to act!

But voting against a no confidence if they do has to be a sacking offence.

Stephen
I imagine that would be. In the mean time there's no point sacking people who you need to win around, and may well still be able to: apparently 5 of the 8 hadn't rebelled on Brexit before, so they're not die hards. WTF they're actually thinking then I don't know. But underlying it, according to Stephen Bush anyway, is the assumption that this isn't the last chance they'll get to stop no deal (Bush isn't so sure).
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/06/britain-heads-no-deal-mps-gamble-brexit

Rory Stewart’s thin veneer of common sense fell off and shattered on the ground on C4 news earlier when Cathy Newman challenged him on why he’d sided with the hard-Brexiters and voted with the government despite all his prior rhetoric. His defence was hopelessly weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back