advertisement

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably a lower rated sales tax with no exemptions whatsoever.
Right..I don't see why it needs a plan and costings. They know what the % figure they gather is already, it's probably online everywhere. Output less input. Just apply that figure to the product or service.

No doubt it is a bit more complicated than that....and so I'm all ears. Someone once tried to tell me a sales tax is not a good idea. I can't remember what the argument was but I was not convinced by their claim that it does not work in the US. I hate VAT. It is the most damaging part of my business. I spend far too much time and money on it.

Gotta love the Mirror front page today, but is it a comment on their IQ as well?

_107306021_mirror.jpg

McVey on Marr avoiding answering any questions in any depth.
Vacuous soundbite after vacuous soundbite.
An utter moron.

I think it is on paper an easy equation. If every sales transaction gathered 10% instead of gathering 20% on the sale and allowing 20% on the input (which in my company's case is half the retail price of the product. What I mean is, they know what they are gathering net it is in our VAT returns. They just need that amount.

In practice I wonder how challenging it will be. All those POS machines and all the 'office' expenses that companies are used to. This is a big avenue for fraud. I can get a hoover, fridge, microwave, bikes, cleaning products, bin liners, teabags, sugar, milk, clothing, all kinds of stuff to make my personal income less burdened, reduce my net profit and enable some VAT to be claimed.

Right..I don't see why it needs a plan and costings. They know what the % figure they gather is already, it's probably online everywhere. Output less input. Just apply that figure to the product or service.

No doubt it is a bit more complicated than that....and so I'm all ears. Someone once tried to tell me a sales tax is not a good idea. I can't remember what the argument was but I was not convinced by their claim that it does not work in the US. I hate VAT. It is the most damaging part of my business. I spend far too much time and money on it.

Some great points (esp in bold), Rich, but there must surely be a (nasty) twist to this. I don't recall Gove ever coming up with a good idea.

How has Michael Gove costed scrapping VAT? In a declining economy that revenue will have to come from somewhere.

He probably hasn't but it raises a good point in that VAT is way too complex and needs simplifying to a general sales tax. In fact, any new PM should sign up to simplifying UK (unbelievably complex) tax rules, full stop - easier to implement and police, harder to circumvent.

About 15 mins spent talking about his cocaine use and right at the end of the interview about 10 seconds on his plans to replace VAT with something else, which would be a hugely significant development affecting the whole country.

BBC journalism at its best.

Although I am always up for giving the establishment a bloody nose, the drug thing is quite weak. Most people I know, if not all of my age, have tried something. It must be hard to find an MP that also has never taken drugs.

Anyway, off with his head. Unless he defo scraps VAT. The business community would remember it as his greatest legacy. Sorry, I mean the only decent thing he did as PM.
I think the point, for those not waving sticks at hippies, is that the prisons are full of young black people who've done less that what Gove has admitted to, because people like him are pushing an irrational and vindictive drug policy. I mean, in Gove's case, he was literally writing articles in support of tough drug laws during his period of uh youthful experimentation.

I think the point, for those not waving sticks at hippies, is that the prisons are full of young black people who've done less that what Gove has admitted to, because people like him are pushing an irrational and vindictive drug policy. I mean, in Gove's case, he was literally writing articles in support of tough drug laws during his period of uh youthful experimentation.
I think that’s a good point, but I haven’t seen it being made anywhere else.

Sales tax on basic foods and medicine etc??
The advantage of VAT is that is hard to cheat if you have suppliers. Sales tax always leads off the book to cash transactions
I'm thick. This is not a loaded question. But why does it? If a customer comes to my warehouse, a 5% discount for cash is still attractive to me even though I paid vat on the input.10% is borderline attractive, based on my net contribution is about 10%.

People are in prison for snorting coke?

Looks like it would be very good for you, as a European exporter to the UK. Bad for everyone else. Just going by this, I'm no expert.
https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog...vat-could-be-a-tax-increase-and-help-imports/

The problems implicit in Gove’s plan are fourfold. If his sales tax is ‘simple’ it will be charged on everything. So get ready to welcome sales tax on food then, for example. This tax is, then, much less likely to be fair then. In fact, we can be sure it will be more regressive: it will be paid in higher proportion by those on low income than high income.

Second, there is no guarantee of there being a tax reduction. A sales tax may be at a lower rate, say 5%, But it is charged right throughout the supply chain. Suppose goods change hands five times before reaching the end consumer. A 5% tax could actually increase end price by more than 27% in that case. Prices matching current VAT are likely. Reductions may well be few and far between. I am not saying there will be none: I am simply saying there will be big winners and losers.

Third, there is the massive bias in favour of imports to consider. Suppose something is made in the UK. By the time everything is assembled, through several layers of supply chain, sales tax of maybe 20% might be included in the price. An almost identical product can, though, be bought from Europe, where they would have VAT still. There would be no VAT charge for the European exporter of that product and they would have just 5% sales tax to pay in the UK. So their product would be substantially cheaper than the UK made equivalent. This tax would then massively undermine UK business and favour imports.

And, fourth, it would also bias against exporters. That's because only the final exporter would not charge the sales tax. All the sales tax on the way through the production process would be a cost. UK exports would, then, be much higher than EU (and other country) equivalent domestically made products. So our exporters would not be able to compete because of Giove's sales tax.

As incompetence in tax design goes suggesting a sales tax takes some beating. But Gove has done it, with a guarantee to destroy British jobs built into the idea. Maybe he was high at the time he thought it worth suggesting. Those who are stone cold sober will not see anything of merit in what he is proposing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back