advertisement

Buying a Porsche but is a cheap one a non starter ?

A £5K Boxster will be a 15 year old or more car with likely 70K or more miles. If it has been well looked after and everything replaced when needed then fine. Also, if you are driving it as a second car and doing relatively low milage then servicing and tyres will be relatively low. But you could be handed a bill for a couple of thousand pounds if something big goes. Even from a good independent garage.

Get one from a reputable dealer or get an inspection, good service history and keep a couple of thousand extra in your back pocket in case something that is 15 years old drops off. Regular servicing and a good mechanic will help spot things that are getting old before they become a problem - hoses for example. So even with a low milage make sure you get an annual service.

Many thanks for the updated messages, I have 7 months to make the search so will take on board the advice & for those guys who have, or are, Porsche afficinados I will drop you a PM for a bit of brain picking if you don't mind.

:);)

I was serious about a 2nd hand 928. Even joined the Porsche car club for more info.
One article related how one poor punter needed a new engine, in the 90s, cost £4500

Then a very friendly customer let me drive his Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo which made my Saab 900 2.0 turbo seem lame
The boss now has a Saab 2.3 9-5 HOT Aero. Dangerously fast

Not so fast compared to today's offerings Mike. A little 1.5 Fiesta ST fractionally quicker to 60. Any of the 2 Litre 'hot hatches' are now quicker . I don't say this in a schoolboyish way, it's just that time and tech marches on and whilst such a Saab is by no means slow, it's somewhat unremarkable by modern standards. Many dangerously fast cars now.

Just a different perspective you may wish to consider...

I owned a 987.2 Cayman S. Nicest car I’d ever owned or driven. Planned to keep it forever.

Two years into ownership other priorities took over, and I accepted that it had to go. Had a tear in my eye when it went!

Now, the interesting bit. After a week I realised I’d never really, really, driven it anywhere near its potential. It’s just not possible on public roads. Well, maybe in the highlands or something, but living down south I’d only scratched the surface of its abilities.

Then, a couple of weeks ago my son and I went to Thruxton, and each did nine laps in Caymans.

Wow.

These things are so utterly capable that I quickly discovered that my abilities/balls fell short of its. Over 100mph through long bends it just loved it (as did I), and after a few laps I grew into it a bit and did have it screeching through the slower long corners. Left the circuit with a massive smile that lasted for hours. I’ll be going back next year.

So, if you want the Porsche experience you can have it for £150 a go. Highly recommended.

Sound advice. I think it wouldn't be stretching things too far to say the capabilities of most high performance/sports cars far exceed the capabilities of the majority of drivers like us. Even something as basic/low powered as the humble Caterhams or entry level Elises will be a hell of a lot quicker than most drivers :)

Reactions: AV8
Totally dependent on the driver, of course.

And the drivers of the Audi and Beemer will fall asleep on anything but a blast!

Sound advice. I think it wouldn't be stretching things too far to say the capabilities of most high performance/sports cars far exceed the capabilities of the majority of drivers like us. Even something as basic/low powered as the humble Caterhams or entry level Elises will be a hell of a lot quicker than most drivers :)

Alan, entry level Elises are now supercharged 220 bhp cars that will hit 60 in a shade over 4 seconds and outperform some seriously expensive kit on the track. And the "humble" Caterham now tops out at £60k plus for the flagship 620's.

Even the low volume/low cost Brit pocket rockets have succumbed to the power and the price race sadly.

Yes Kenny, nothing humble about Caterhams or a Lotus Elise!

Hi Ginger, I've been a fan and a customer of both firms for many years, maybe denying myself the chance to try out some of the exotic foreign metal on offer.

However like many loyal enthusiasts of the marques I can not now get my head around how cars built on the old Elise platform are now at Mclaren prices and way north of 100k, crazy. I think it's making a few die hards like myself contemplate a leap to the dark side :rolleyes: Having said that Morgan have gone the same way and so will TVR if ever the new model gets released.

I wasnt aware that's how prices had gone. I've only driven an Elise once but I really can't fit in one. I almost had to reach between my legs and under my left knee to reach the gear-lever! I'm 6'3'' and simply couldn't get comfortable, so I can't say I had any time to get to grips with it. I undertand there are 2 or 3 places in teh UK for Caterham hire - one in Scotland with a weekend option taking in 3 or 4 different versions. Might do that this year. Last year was off-road riding in Wales. In fact, I might have a closer look at that now....

I wasnt aware that's how prices had gone. I've only driven an Elise once but I really can't fit in one. I almost had to reach between my legs and under my left knee to reach the gear-lever! I'm 6'3'' and simply couldn't get comfortable, so I can't say I had any time to get to grips with it. I undertand there are 2 or 3 places in teh UK for Caterham hire - one in Scotland with a weekend option taking in 3 or 4 different versions. Might do that this year. Last year was off-road riding in Wales. In fact, I might have a closer look at that now....

With a lowered drivers floor and especially in the SV Caterham you'd have no problems re. legroom etc. Ginger I'd hope.
Boyd who runs the Scottish hire business actually has SV's in his fleet too he told me so you'd find out soon enough then.

Yes, Lotus and Morgan have had price increase upon price increase over the last 24 months, usually leaving tasty bits off in the process whilst doing so.

Top Morgan is now way over 100k and the Lotus Exige 430 Cup with a few packs will be over 120k. It then sadly puts these marques especially Lotus in to direct competion with Mclaren and high end Porsche......a stratagy which makes me fear for their future.

You're right, 2 SV's and a 260. That's more expensive but it'd be shame to go all that way and miss it out...

Alex: the S2000... lovely looking cars, ageing superbly I think. Got to be a classic in the making, if not already.

I agree they look lovely but my few experiences of driving and being a passenger in one was that it was a cramped, noisy and generally uncomfortable car. The S2000 engine is a marvel in many ways but its a dog under 2000 rpm - maybe that's why they called it the S(upposed to be above)2000. On the other hand the general consensus on the Boxster is that although a little cramped, it is a civilized place to be in, unlike my experiences of the S2000. In addition to this you get a flat six with a Boxster as apposed to an inline four with the Honda.

advertisement

Back