advertisement

Brands that disappeared very quickly

:)

I seem to remember Tim designed the amps for him which is a huge plus...

I also remember that Steen used to design some very nice speakers too.
The original design was, literally, scribbled on a piece of scrap paper. It was a Tim design that he wrote down to explain how an amp worked. John paid something like £20 to Tim for the piece of paper. It was a good design which Tim refined for John Shearne but was never really a proper, bespoke design.

Tim took the 'design' to Zia Faruqui to make for him.

Steen Doessing made some excellent and interesting speakers including his 'ribbons' which he made from Bacofoil.

Reactions: GT
Lecson amplifiers were designed by one half of Meridian I think a Mr Boothroyd comes to mind.
I still have my LP 12 on a Sound Organisation table when I was one of their customers in 1983 and I have a Target Hi Fi rack 5 shelves suits me Fraim way too expensive for me.
I also had a couple of wall stands for the Kans made by The Sound Organisation.

Regards,

Martin

The original design was, literally, scribbled on a piece of scrap paper. It was a Tim design that he wrote down to explain how an amp worked. John paid something like £20 to Tim for the piece of paper. It was a good design which Tim refined for John Shearne but was never really a proper, bespoke design.

Tim took the 'design' to Zia Faruqui to make for him.

I remember Zia had some involvement in the brand. Tube Technology was another good brand that disappeared too early. I guess Zia didn't have the heart to continue after Jackie passed away...
Just trying to think of Steen's speaker brand?

I still have my LP 12 on a Sound Organisation table...

An almost on topic question...

I remember seeing a stand designed to house something like an LP12 with a 250 below, with room for a couple of half-width boxes alongside, such as a 32-5 above a Hicap. Sound Organisation, or something else?

i had one of these sound organization racks, once upon a time. ironically, the SO LP12 stand was the worse stand i had ever put my LP12 on. step within 5 feet of it, and needle bounced. i had the stand in several apartments and houses, and i got the needle bounce whether it was on a suspended floor, or concrete slab.
DSCN0018.JPG

i had one of these sound organization racks, once upon a time. ironically, the SO LP12 stand was the worse stand i had ever put my LP12 on. step within 5 feet of it, and needle bounced. i had the stand in several apartments and houses, and i got the needle bounce whether it was on a suspended floor, or concrete slab.
DSCN0018.JPG

One of my Target racks is like that. Did Target copy it or was it the other way round? Any way the Target ones are good enough. I got my 4 tier one for no more than £30 ( I cant remember the exact sum now) from EBay a few years ago, I had to go collect it all the way from Ruislip and take back to South London. ( What one will do for a good deal)

I remember Zia had some involvement in the brand. Tube Technology was another good brand that disappeared too early. I guess Zia didn't have the heart to continue after Jackie passed away...
Just trying to think of Steen's speaker brand?
Steen Doessing produced SD Acoustics speakers.

Tube technology went belly up as you say but that doesn't excuse Zia for all the dodgy things he did after. He still owes me thousands and I have had several people contacting me over the years who sent amps to Zia and never saw them again. I believe he now resides in California.

Well I am still here, sorry Geoff, and co.

50924331_2212833425701393_5619873318501875712_o.jpg

safe_image.php

Remember these and now every Tom, Dick and Harry make them, strange how the world of Hi-Fi Poo Poo any idea out of the box, and then others copy with no concept of original Thoughts.

26168932_1951677608483644_1006410198321595057_n.jpg

Does anybody remember an amplifier company from Cambridge called Harrison Chapman.? I had one of their Amps about 40 years ago, very blingy but not bad.

Alexander.

Interesting range of speakers notable for their sheet-steel enclosures and directly coupled bass drivers (Seas).

Founded by one James Alexander Neal, in the late 80's.

I still have a pair of the top model, the Aurora, pretty good they are too. Cleverly, the resonance of the un-braced and un-damped enclosures compensated for the lack of baffle step correction you'd normally get from a high-pass filter.

Also:

Rose: a nice tube preamp circa 1990.

STD: prehaps someone at Strathclyde Transducer Developments might have thought twice before deciding on that acronym as a brand name. In any case, the turntables themselves (I've just been inside a 305) didn't advance the bouncy-castle art in any particular way.

The Source: a high-end bouncy castle with more springs than anyone else's.

Beard: Tube amps, the P35 being the single worst hifi mistake I ever made.

Magnum: Amps seem well regarded to this day, certainly the pre-power I heard was a cracker.

Syrinx: Made the wonderful PU3 tonearm, for which we should be very grateful.

Does anybody remember an amplifier company from Cambridge called Harrison Chapman.? I had one of their Amps about 40 years ago, very blingy but not bad.

A friend had a Harrison S200 back in the 70's and it was a lovely thing - 100 watts per channel and led VU meters, whats not to like. I can still remember it pushing out music through a big pair of Goodmans in his larger than average lounge.

STD: prehaps someone at Strathclyde Transducer Developments might have thought twice before deciding on that acronym as a brand name. In any case, the turntables themselves (I've just been inside a 305) didn't advance the bouncy-castle art in any particular way.

I liked the STD when it came out, though I could never have afforded one at the time. The main problem it had to my mind was putting the controls right underneath the cartridge/stylus. I wonder how many cartridges were ruined?

std-305d.png

I still have a 305S, but it is sick, with suspension hanger bushes crumbling with plastic rot and a motor bearing vibration

Anyone recall JPW loadspeakers ?

25 or so years ago they were always at the Penta & Bristol shows if I recall. Not sure what happened to them ?

On the subject of Ion Systems, I do remember them being on the BBC Money Programme or some other similar business news show from about 30 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

I don't recall why they were on though ? Anyone else remember that ?

I did a bit of delving on JPW. They were based in Plymouth and apparently the cabinets were assembled by inmates of HMP Dartmoor !

I always thought their speakers sounded decent at the hi-fi shows back in the day.

advertisement

Back