advertisement

RIP Neil Burnett Albarry Music amplifiers

trio leo

pfm Member
It feels unreal to be posting this, many of you may own or have owned in the past or maybe heard at HiFi shows the beautifully entertaining music from Albarry amplifiers.
It is with deep regret I convey that Designer Engineer Neil Burnett passed away this morning after a very brief illness aged 68.

Neil and I were close friends for over 35 years, back to the days of the first "pork pie" Albarry M408's, through the HiFi haydays of the 80's and 90's and the relaunch of Albarry in 2010.
He was always keen on having the music sound as the artists/musicians intended, with passion!, he was an accomplished musician himself, on piano and guitar and used his encyclopaedic knowledge of electronics and mathematics as a University Lecturer.

As for the future of Albarry I don't know yet, it will be down to his family. I will post as I know more.

Alan

Really sad news, which I'm so sorry to hear. I absolutely love my Albarry pre-powers, they bring music to life in ways so few amps seem to manage. I met Neil a fair few times since the relaunch in 2010, he was without doubt a lovely guy, a gentleman in all senses as well as being a talented and knowledgeable designer. I will miss him, and can only hope the Albarry legend will live on.

Cheers, Neil. Thank you for the music.

Sorry to hear this. I always classed Albarry amps as one of those brands which made UK hi-fi so interesting and diverse.

R.I.P.

Thank you for your lovely thoughts chaps, I remember the days of Bespoke Audio Stockport, our reference system back then was a Trio L07D direct drive t/table, EMT cartridge hand built by Mr Van den Hul, Trio L07C pre amp, Trio Lo5m Monoblocs and Allison 1 speakers, we thought that was the best available in 1977. one day we had lunch in the local pub, Neil drew a schematic on a beer mat and said that will beat the Lo5's.

So Albert said " ok build it" and so he did, named after Albert and Barry, Albarry amplifiers were born, as they say, the rest is history, but it's been an absolute pleasure for me to have been involved since the beginning, music is so visceral and infectious and that tangeable experience is all that Neil wanted to portray in his work, I feel he achieved his goal and brought musical excitement to many enthusiasts.

hopefully his legacy may continue.

cheers Alan

Sad news and my condolences to Neil's friends and family, I spoke to him a few times about making me some bespoke amps and head amps etc. Neil was very knowledgeable and a gentleman to communicate with and will be missed.

This is really sad and in this day and age 68 is young. I'm really very sorry for your loss and my deepest condolences go out to you, his family and his other friends.

I enjoyed meeting Neil and Alan at Bristol and Whittlebury Hall.

Neil was extremely helpful with advice about the old PP1 (great little amp). As others have said, he was a very friendly man and clearly interested in hi-fi because of the end result - hearing music in the best possible way.

Just saw this - RIP. I use to drool at his amps when passing AT Labs in Gants Hill s a teen in the 1980s.

I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of Neil. I always kind of wanted a set of his electronics. Any chance of that at this late date?

advertisement

Back