advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
no cropping?

None! Uploaded straight from the iPhone 6S to Flickr without going anywhere near my Mac or any editing of any kind (the iPhone can take square pictures and I’m really enjoying composing for that format at present)!

None! Uploaded straight from the iPhone 6S to Flickr without going anywhere near my Mac or any editing of any kind (the iPhone can take square pictures and I’m really enjoying composing for that format at present)!

OK, i see.

the very first art photo in history featuring a teen fantasy of a truck...

image.php

Superb eye and composition, as ever, I like them a lot, but there is something about your post-processing that just irritates the hell out of me! I think it is either excessive sharpening or a really bad image resizing algorithm that gives almost a 1980s low-res CGA monitor jagged stepping to any diagonal line. I don’t see it in anyone else’s images here.

PS It always makes me quietly chuckle that you find so much beauty in the structures and beacons of capitalism and corporate finance, yet hate nature photography! ;-)

Superb eye and composition, as ever, I like them a lot, but there is something about your post-processing that just irritates the hell out of me! I think it is either excessive sharpening or a really bad image resizing algorithm that gives almost a 1980s low-res CGA monitor jagged stepping to any diagonal line. I don’t see it in anyone else’s images here.

tony.

there is no sharpening. i did add some contrast, but they were almost high-key in shooting. i will PM you a full-sized unprocessed image.

Vuk,

It's not excessive sharpening. It's the resizing algorithm your photo editor uses.

To quote Stanford algorithms expert Don Knuth, "Who are you? How did you get in my house." *

Joe

* Well, that's what he said when I asked him about it. (Apologies to XKCD)

Agree with Joe, Vuk sent me a link to the full size image and it is spot-on. The issue has to be in the resizing algorithm.

tony sent me a resized version using his software and the algo is less severe on the diagonals but also a bit "soft".

i also need to update my OS soon and there is now a totally revamped version of gimp which behave differently.

in any case, it doesn't really bother me very much and in some ways adds to the cartoon-like effect with these architecture shots which i am often seeking.

Hey, I didn't know this thread existed until just now!

Anyway, a few favorites from Chiang Mai and Bangkok. No post, Fuji X-T1 with 18-135mm.

31682028978_ef3c36b6d6_b.jpg

45554565171_c97ed8a32f_b.jpg

44829330714_df1e01d19b_b.jpg

44829321134_0f0b021a26_b.jpg

44640270305_308c756f9d_b.jpg

31682032928_5035ffe9ae_b.jpg

It always makes me quietly chuckle that you find so much beauty in the structures and beacons of capitalism and corporate finance, yet hate nature photography! ;-)

it is funny, but i don't actually hate nature photography -- just find a lot of it interchangeable and based on a kitschy foundation. the problem is that pretty things are compelling -- even though often wrong in an artistic sense -- and a lot is pretty in nature. i thought i had transcended the vulgar with the one below yesterday, but this morning i find i was severely mistaken and it makes me think of something from a big russian cold-war era chocolate box that a granny would cut the sides off of and put up on her kitchen wall...

image.php

processing/editing pictures whilst having a few drinks is not a great strategy.

@vuk

I have fond memories of my grandmother doing that with chocolate boxes. Oh, and playing in the old biscuit tin with its hundreds of odd buttons, buttons of every description and size you could possibly imagine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back