advertisement

Dogs

richardg

Admonishtrator
We are in the process of choosing a medium-sized dog.

In the shortlist are:

1. Jack Russel
2. Whippet
3. Mutt from dog home

Posh breeds, trendy mixed breeds are all out.

Any other cheapish dog we should consider, please? Retired greyhounds are too big.

PS, dogs are ace, cats are rubbish. So cats are not making the shortlist either.

No. 3 option for us, the kennels are overrun with lovely woofers.

Choice of dog can change when visiting a rescue centre, our young adults changed our mind on which breed to pick.
Best thing, along with rowing, to have hit this household.

Bloss

Border Terrier, try Border Terrier Rescue, my last two have been rescues, you will not regret it. Otherwise anything from The Dogs Trust gets my vote.

Border Terriers? You are joking. Nasty, snarling, aggressive towards other dogs. Never come across a nice one yet.

We have two whippets, both with slightly different characters.

Relatively robust dogs with no known breed health problems.

Contrary to beliefs, very placid dogs at home, preferred option : sleeping. Completely different in the woods, where they switch to seek-and-destroy modus and sprint up and down the trails. Have a high prey drive, which needs to be kept in check.

Not the easiest dogs to train, but generally ok.

50% cat, 50% racehorse.

Would recomend.

Jack Russells can be aggressive or highly strung. My Grandma had 4 over a 25-30 year period. The first I never knew, apparently she was lovely. The 2nd was highly strung and spent half her life quivering. If spoken to she would quite often pee on the floor out of fear. She'd never been abused, she was just like that. The 3rd was very good, but went under a car, the 4th was hard as nails and lived to about 15 years old. She was convinced she was in charge of the world and three time the size of a Rottweiler. She nearly died when she picked a fight with an Alsatian, but still went through life growling and biting first then asking questions later.

But dogs are ace. Get one.

Extreme view! They look cool, though. But aren't they a bit pricey?

Not an extreme view at all. Based on experience and observation.

Buy one and get back to me.

Got my first dog aged 7 and have never been without a dog since. Normally I've had two. Two is better as they keep each other company.

Jack Russells can be aggressive or highly strung. My Grandma had 4 over a 25-30 year period. The first I never knew, apparently she was lovely. The 2nd was highly strung and spent half her life quivering. If spoken to she would quite often pee on the floor out of fear. She'd never been abused, she was just like that. The 3rd was very good, but went under a car, the 4th was hard as nails and lived to about 15 years old. She was convinced she was in charge of the world and three time the size of a Rottweiler. She nearly died when she picked a fight with an Alsatian, but still went through life growling and biting first then asking questions later.

I can't imagine a life without my dogs. I totally agree with your findings re Jack Russells.

yes, the Jack Russel seems like a bawx o' chocolates. Yappy, lap dog, hunter, child-biter, perfect family pet. You never know which one you're gonna get. I might be tempted to go for an adult if we got a Jack Russel.

Rich, don't discount designer crosses. Cockapoos are brilliant.

No, I don't have one and never have had one. But they're ace dogs.

We have a labradoodle and a (black) golden doodle. Both terrific dogs with bags of personality and great with kids. Maybe a bit larger than what you’re after, but - in terms of temperament- they’re fantastic.

Dogs, like cats, are generally well tolerated by their owners.

This is not necessarily the case with the rest of us, who only hear endless barking and only see dogshit and the equally offensive bright red dogshit bins strategically placed alongside otherwise pleasant footpaths.

Also.. the typical assurance that ' He won't bite', is no real comfort in the case of all too frequent cases of unleashed dogs deciding to growl at or jump all over some innocent dogless child or walker. I was recently attacked by a dog which the owner assured me had only done so because I awas carrying a stick. I was out walking FFS! The dog and owner were very lucky that I didn't give them a real reason to dislike my stick.

The fact that there are THREE sodding great vans now parked within a few hundred yards of my house proclaiming 'Dial a Dogwash' or somesuch.. plus the fact that another local resident is offering dog grooming services from their garden shed, quite possibly in contravention of local By-Laws, is further evidence that the current Dog Mania, is in need of further regulation.

If the number of deaths from dog attack in this country was matched by deaths from attack by, say, pet spiders, snakes, etc I'd be prepared to bet that much more regulation would have resulted. And pet snakes etc., don't generally shit on public footpaths.

End of rant.

We have a labradoodle and a (black) golden doodle. Both terrific dogs with bags of personality and great with kids. Maybe a bit larger than what you’re after, but - in terms of temperament- they’re fantastic.

+1 though I don't own one.

advertisement

Back