advertisement

England in the eyes of Katie Hopkins

What the hell is a "Corbyn propagandist"? Lumping in the best hope for social democracy in this country in decades with a bunch of far-right hate-preachers and dictators is, frankly, idiotic.

I was just highlighting trying to discredit mainstream media is a technique used by just about everyone looking to promote a minority cause. You can not deny Momentum etc fall back on it time after time.

I was just highlighting trying to discredit mainstream media is a technique used by just about everyone looking to promote a minority cause. You can not deny Momentum etc fall back on it time after time.
The difference is mainstream media *is* biased against the social-democratic left. It has been from day one of Corbyn's leadership, and several academic studies have demonstrated its extent. There is a fact of the matter. I know relatively few members of Momentum who would condemn mainstream media outright but they often question the narrative and are often right to do so, in my view. For what it's worth I believe the mainstream media has its place but the flaws in (e.g.) the BBC's "impartial" stance are increasingly obvious.

Anyway, here's an excellent article from Paul Mason about the threat of the far-right:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columni...e-facing-an-international-far-right-alliance/
We know how the game ends. People get sick of chaos. They demand order. And all the people Trump feels comfortable with have shown us how order can be brought: with the electrified fence, the rubber bullet, the body slam and the choke hold. The murdered journalist; the corrupted judge; the state of emergency: this is the chaos the authoritarian right will bring to Europe, if we let them, so that strong men, modelling themselves on Trump, can step in and restore order.

Three sets of people need to change their strategy. The liberal centre has to stop attacking the left and fight the right. The left has to unite, preparing itself to defend democratic institutions and ethnic minorities and women’s rights through action, not words. And ordinary people have to wake up and understand. However rubbish the institutions that hold the world together are, chaos is worse.

The references I quoted are academic studies and as such peer reviwed, not someones "what I reckon".

Freedom of speech is a very important and fundamental right and must be defended especially when people say/represent things you don't like. The best way to deal with Hopkins is to debate her in a structured way (maybe someone like Nick Clegg could get his hands dirty and provide Hopkins with the ego massage she craves by debating her). The interviewer in this video is a limp wet lettuce and has not prepared any facts or arguments to challenge Hopkins. Maybe the approach was to let her speak and wait for her to do his work for him, but that's a lame/dangerous strategy.

Allowing professional hate merchants to spread their toxic message, and incite violence, partly resulted in the murder of Jo Cox.
I'm not saying we shouldn't shine a light on them, but only the truly thick need more than an hour of two to work out Hopkins and her ilk has nothing useful to offer.

The anti-Islam agenda in my view is growing in the UK and is sadly not been adequately debated back down, with atrocities like Manchester it's not easy I guess.
PFM is doing good work in this area and I admire the stance here.

On pfm you very recently appeared to be part of the problem.

I believe both must unite to fight the far-right.

Absolutely, and to kick out the Tories.
Every 'hard left' and 'liberal fascist' piece of foolishness devides us.

Allowing professional hate merchants to spread their toxic message, .

I don't think Hopkins is very professional, it should be fairly easy to dismantle her in a public debate...has it already been done?

I still follow Sam Harris' arguments, they are well constructed.

I don't think Hopkins is very professional, it should be fairly easy to dismantle her in a public debate...has it already be done?

It has, but like BF she is all over social media inciting hatred and confirming the bias of (amongst others) the Islamophobics.

I don't think Hopkins is very professional, it should be fairly easy to dismantle her in a public debate...has it already be done?
Hadn’t you noticed? She doesn’t debate, she plants extreme hate sound bites and runs. Never retracts lies unless sued and covers those with further lies. She does have an audience though- some are more ripe for subscription than others.

The references I quoted are academic studies and as such peer reviwed, not someones "what I reckon".

the is a personality measure called "uncertainty orientation" and people who score highly on the dimension are very uncomfortable with ambiguity. you can also see this in the reactions to assange where it's difficult for some to accept that he may be a flawed person but still deserving of justice at the same time.

The trouble as I see it and it's huge and demands a complete rethink in how to engage the threat, isn't that the likes of Hopkins don't have their arguments/attitudes/lies taken apart it's that too many aren't prepared to listen-her ilk offer simple(and final)solutions to complex problems/issues.

The trouble as I see it and it's huge and demands a complete rethink in how to engage the threat, isn't that the likes of Hopkins don't have their arguments/attitudes/lies taken apart it's that too many aren't prepared to listen-her ilk offer simple(and final)solutions to complex problems/issues.
If the smart people don't listen and respond to Hopkins, I regard that as defeastist and letting people like me down.

If the smart people don't listen and respond to Hopkins, I regard that as defeastist and letting people like me down.
I see your problem. The smart people are responding-but they aren't the problem, they aren't the ones swallowing this bulls!t.

the is a personality measure called "uncertainty orientation" and people who score highly on the dimension are very uncomfortable with ambiguity. you can also see this in the reactions to assange where it's difficult for some to accept that he may be a flawed person but still deserving of justice at the same time.

What is the correct term for pretentious and condescending “intellectuals” who believe Assange is above justice?

advertisement

Back