Do Power Cords Make A Difference?

• Yes they do make a difference

Votes: 145 39.8%
  • No they don't make a difference

Votes: 166 45.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 53 14.6%

• Total voters
Just been looking at the Sony PVX 550 trimaster OLED Professional broadcast/post production monitor; around £25,000. In the box, one bog standard ac power cord.
https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/oled-monitors/pvm-x550
These type of uber quality monitors are used by (amongst others) colourist/graders in the TV and movie industry to tweak the image before 'broadcast' be it for cinema or TV. Planet Earth II in 4k HDR for example will have been adjusted/corrected on one of these. They have to be an accurate reference of what they are fed with-if a mains lead was capable of changing this then it all falls apart as a reference....maybe we should all contact Visual Impact and order replacement power cords for a PVX550......

Last edited:
Upgraded my power cord first I got a loan of it from the music room in Glasgow.. took it home before connecting it to the HiFi I watched a bit of tv then changed the Tv power cord with the loaned one. There was an improvement In picture quality. Next the HiFi. Cleaner sound so I bought.

Did it make the sun shine and England win the football also ?

I've just finished a bottle of wine and my mains cables are sounding better than ever.

# drinkresponsbilly

I
I have a degree in electonics and 30+ years experience in the power electonics industry.
I have done several experiments with power lead configurations

Please show the PSRR of the equipment you have tried them on and the methodology used in the experiments.

This could provide the conclusive proof that has been eluding mankind for years and you have the experience and presumably access to the necessary test equipment.

But they are all lying as our friend Keith suggested. They are lying, they know others are lying. It's all a massive con that designers, manufacturers, journalists, dealers and others all know about. If you think that can work for any length of time you need to explain the processes for it happening, explain the role of each element in this con. Describe how respected journalists and designers con themselves into believing this nonsense. If it's okay for some modestly qualified 'engineers' to riff about how stuff works, how about they explain how the con works.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you VW emissions.

The proportion of Yesers is creeping upwards again. It will be interesting if a point is reached like Brexit where the balance is almost equal but everyone has to accept the will of the tiny majority. Those who have tried to hear difference but were unable to do so will have to behave as if we have. Voted into submission.

........ Those who have tried to hear difference but were unable to do so will have to behave as if we have. .

Clearly not.... they will just be getting on with their lives and occasionally listening to music played on their gramophones . Maybe you could do that? Instead of kicking this dead horse down the road all the time?

Did it make the sun shine and England win the football also ?
Why would a cable make the sun shine ? Cables don't improve sound by adding anything the can make the signal path quieter resulting in Cleaner/ clear sound. As for England I'm Scottish who will be happy for England to win the world cup.

So from reading the comments of anti-cable people it seems to me that, according to the 47% anti-cable peeps, the reason that 40% of people hear a difference is due to the following massive conspiracy theory:
sometime in the 1990s speaker/interconnect cable manufacturers (and some hifi component manufactures) conspired to design power cords which they knew had absolutely no effect on SQ, but they had the potential to boost the balance sheet in the tough times that were emerging. This concept was then sold to dealers, who bought into the idea due to the high margins available on sales of the cables. The power cable idea is then sold to journalists, who bought into the conspiracy as it meant more advertising income from ads for the cables. All three parts of the conspiracy - the manufacturers, the dealers and the journalists - agreed to keep the truth from anyone else so that the concept could be sold to the hifi enthusiasts, who fell foul of the hifi manufacturers evil ways through expectation bias. And to this very day no one in this chain of conspiracy ever broke ranks to tell the truth.

So from reading the comments of anti-cable people it seems to me that, according to the 47% anti-cable peeps, the reason that 40% of people hear a difference is due to the following massive conspiracy theory:
sometime in the 1990s speaker/interconnect cable manufacturers (and some hifi component manufactures) conspired to design power cords which they knew had absolutely no effect on SQ, but they had the potential to boost the balance sheet in the tough times that were emerging. This concept was then sold to dealers, who bought into the idea due to the high margins available on sales of the cables. The power cable idea is then sold to journalists, who bought into the conspiracy as it meant more advertising income from ads for the cables. All three parts of the conspiracy - the manufacturers, the dealers and the journalists - agreed to keep the truth from anyone else so that the concept could be sold to the hifi enthusiasts, who fell foul of the hifi manufacturers evil ways through expectation bias. And to this very day no one in this chain of conspiracy ever broke ranks to tell the truth.

Regardless of the real truth, there is also some “real truth” in what you write :)

Why does it need to be a conspiracy? Is phishing fraud a conspiracy? Is homeopathy a conspiracy? No, what they exploit is a target rich environment. You said you tried lots of cables before you found one that made a difference so what of the ones that didn't do what they claimed? Hifi is a business founded on people's quest for ever better musical reproduction i.e. It's built on dissatisfaction- without it you have no industry no market. Why are hifi accessories such as cabling , stones , cable lifters such a dark art where the established scientific methods and practices cease to apply and are more the realm of the alchemist? I've just watched a sky at night where
Rado-astronomers in Australia are using equipment so sensitive it can not just detect a mobile phone on Pluto but they would be blinded by it. No alchemy at work, just science and established engineering . Cant be sure how you will react to this, am I bullying you, shouting you down? Who knows.

Is there any sign of a cable Deep Throat at least?

Why does it need to be a conspiracy? Is phishing fraud a conspiracy? Is homeopathy a conspiracy?
Being stupid isn’t a conspiracy, and neither is satisfying a demand to be fed stupid things.
I have seen nothing to challenge the following two points
1 messing about with a power cable is unlikely to produce any systematically predictable and beneficial effect on any electrical component, and if it did the same effect would be produced either by designing the component properly or sticking on a proper RF filter.
2. Whatever you hear after messing about with a cable cannot with any confidence be ascribed to the electrical properties of the cable.

If you want buy a fancy cable just do it.

But you'd have thought one, just one, of the conspiring (or non-conspiring), con-merchants would have broken rank over the decades. I'd expect a dissatisfied journo or worker from a cable company to come clean and tell the world how we've been fooled for so long and aren't we stupid. Instead the only people calling us stupid are the anti-cable people on forums.
I ve never called anyone stupid for hearing a difference from a cable. I’ve questioned the logic where mains leads are concerned and have been into this hobby long enough to know how easy it is to hear things that aren’t there or at least so subtle as to be meaningless in the overal scheme of things that have far more significant effects such as rooms and speaker placement- oddly enough clearly measurable and repeatable.

But you'd have thought one, just one, of the conspiring (or non-conspiring), con-merchants would have broken rank over the decades. I'd expect a dissatisfied journo or worker from a cable company to come clean and tell the world how we've been fooled for so long and aren't we stupid. Instead the only people calling us stupid are the anti-cable people on forums.

Since you ask, here's an example of a cable manufacturer who did come clean about malfeasance in the marketing of cables: Bill Low, CEO of Audioquest.

advertisement

Back