Do Power Cords Make A Difference?

• Yes they do make a difference

Votes: 145 39.8%
  • No they don't make a difference

Votes: 166 45.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 53 14.6%

• Total voters
We all compartmentalise, it's how we avoid getting total mental overload. Once we put something in its box, we can move on to the things we consider more important. But that varies with the person.

Lost me on compartmentalizing. I don't see how it applies to anything I wrote.

Sorry misread the poll earlier. 60ish mains cables hearers experience altering something. Almost twice don’t hear owt

Yes of course they can - if the system is capable of revealing such changes. I swapped out a siltech ruby hill for mit oracle ac2 on my spectral pre - massive difference. Had mit oracle ac2s on spectral power amps - changed to Running Springs Crown Jewels - loss of imaging detail but increased weight in lower frequencies was worth the trade-off. In a capable system this sort of stuff isn't hard to demonstrate.

I haven't read all this thread but can imagine what most of it is like.
I have a degree in electonics and 30+ years experience in the power electonics industry.
I have done several experiments with power lead configurations (although I've never bought any expensive ready made cables).
Over a long period of time I always gravitate to the same configuration, which FWIW uses ordinary unscreened copper cable. So I voted yes, I do believe I hear a difference.
I don't have a good techincal explanation for these effects but I doubt very much that's it's purley down to the supply impedance. I suspect it has more to do with earth loops, hf coupling and ground impedances, which will be different from system to system.

No serious electronics engineer would recommend a ‘boutique’ power cable, only charlatans.
Keith

Rob Watts, the designer of the Chord DACs has not (to my knowledge) recommended boutique power cables. But he did say this:

In the '80s, there was a buzz going around that mains cables made a big difference to the sound, so I tried experimenting. Yes you could hear a difference, even under blind conditions.

He then goes on to speculate about why this was the case.

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/4305#post_10620662

No serious electronics engineer would recommend a ‘boutique’ power cable, only charlatans.
Keith

So those behind Lavardin, Kondo, 47Labs, Weiss, Goldmund, Sugden, Linn, Naim and Rega, to name just the first few which come to mind, are all charlatans?

As you have so eloquently and wittily put it previously, 'wow!'

Look mummy, a clown...

So those behind Lavardin, Kondo, 47Labs, Weiss, Goldmund, Sugden, Linn, Naim and Rega, to name just the first few which come to mind, are all charlatans?

Look mummy, a clown...

I’ve been buying Linn stuff for many years and have never known the company recommend a boutique power cable, other than the Chinese jobs in the box. You may know different, Ronald McDonald, so perhaps we could work through the other companies you mention and see if there are any ‘charlatans’ among them, or indeed any electronics engineers... let’s start with Goldmund and Pioneer and mark-ups, eh?

I quite agree. But the vast amount of empirical evidence that cables do make a difference cannot be put entirely down to expectation bias, .

I asked where this empirical evidence was/is..... could you please tell me?

Look mummy, a clown...

More like, "look mommy, that man thinks the emperor is naked!"

When you consider the vast profit margins to be made from flogging own brand foo cables, you can hardly blame them for flogging them to the gullible. I would, especially were I in a shrinking, overcrowded market place.
If there are people out there daft enough to buy into such charlatanry, it would be a pity not to satisfy the demand.

Chris

I am curious what type of music our hearing a differencers (HADs) listen to. I find it hard to imagine big band jazz throwing out a subtle or afternoon and evening difference. Hard rock?

Do people listen to chamber music on Naim with a super cable?

Are the glowing jobbies equally benefited by Mains Cable selection?

We have 60+ here and a suggested silent mass, maybe a new thread

More like, "look mommy, that man thinks the emperor is naked!"

When you consider the vast profit margins to be made from flogging own brand foo cables, you can hardly blame them for flogging them to the gullible. I would, especially were I in a shrinking, overcrowded market place.
If there are people out there daft enough to buy into such charlatanry, it would be a pity not to satisfy the demand.

Chris
Are you David Icke?

Look mummy, a clown...

I would wager that the designers of the components in the companies you list have zero to do with any cables the companies cobble together -- or source -- with their name on them. But it shouldn't be hard for you to find out. Just like it shouldn't be hard to provide tangible evidence supporting why the cables sound bette... oh me .. wait ...

No, just someone who values rationality above superstitious jumbo jumbo.
I have absolutely no problem with consenting adults wasting money on things. But I reserve the right to mock them.
Chris
But you believe in some huge conspiracy with countless designers, manufacturers, journalists and dealers all conning people. You ARE David Icke.

But you believe in some huge conspiracy with countless designers, manufacturers, journalists and dealers all conning people. You ARE David Icke.

There is no conspiracy, that would infer collusion, it`s just a number of individuals acting in what they perceive as their own best interests.

advertisement

Back