Do Power Cords Make A Difference?

• Yes they do make a difference

Votes: 145 39.8%
  • No they don't make a difference

Votes: 166 45.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 53 14.6%

• Total voters
Pray tell exactly how a double-blind test can be used to show that a difference can't be heard.
I have: test if the results are drawn from a random population. If you want details ask a school child taking A level Applied Maths or whatever the equivalent is called these days. It is sixth form school level statistics.

I have: test if the results are drawn from a random population. If you want details ask a school child taking A level Applied Maths or whatever the equivalent is called these days. It is sixth form school level statistics.

You can't give details because you don't appear to have much of a clue of what you're talking about.

You should go ahead and ask a sixth form student of what failing to reject the null hypothesis means.

OK if 'some ' power cables make a difference its because the other cables aren't twin & earth so for a semi fixed installation and only after consulting a spark use t&e-it isn't flexible so not designed to be bumped and moved about so use ONLY if it's fixed/semi fixed.

Failing that, if you have a fancy lead connected to one component and hearing improvements even when the other kit is running of bog standard then power your distribution block with 'fancy' lead and share the benefits across the whole system...

We seem to have reached stability 120 ~40% of PFM population and a microbial part of the human race 7.6 billion.

I am glad my electricity supply is wonderful and I ran from the shop in horror when I heard Naim all those years ago.

To the 120 you are NOT STUPID, I don’t shout and wish you well enjoying your mains cables. Kindly allow me to say I heard they can and tried them and they didn’t without seeing it as an attack

We seem to have reached stability 120 ~40% of PFM population and a microbial part of the human race 7.6 billion.

I am glad my electricity supply is wonderful and I ran from the shop in horror when I heard Naim all those years ago.

To the 120 you are NOT STUPID, I don’t shout and wish you well enjoying your mains cables. Kindly allow me to say I heard they can and tried them and they didn’t without seeing it as an attack
That's just so passive-aggressive.

Yes this is key. For example, I can't even use/get across the basics of engineering development for a low tech product that has become uneconomic to produce locally in any sensible volumes, has transitioned into a replacement market and is about to become obsolete.
But you don't seem to know what you are writing about, so expecting to get anything 'across' is ambitious.

The foo around mains cables is based on nothing, it is as foo as a crystal or an alien abduction. The 'foo' around the LP12 and other items is based on something, although it is obvious that Ivor evolved his approach as he cottoned on to the possibilities and coloured in a lot of the detail afterwards.

I agree, equating stick on shiny labels, crystals and Shunyata cables with the marketing of the LP12 is nonsense.

That's just so passive-aggressive.
Do you reckon? Oh well too late now. Perhaps the OP can join one of the ‘sound/standard’ forums and find out how he can place demands on their members and see what happens. And remain here as well of course. They may welcome him with open arms and we can all be happy. TaS is very powerfully in favour of fuse hearers.

Is it passive aggressive to suggest a bake about.

Do you reckon? Oh well too late now. Perhaps the OP can join one of the ‘sound/standard’ forums and find out how he can place demands on their members and see what happens. And remain here as well of course. They may welcome him with open arms and we can all be happy. TaS is very powerfully in favour of fuse hearers.

Is it passive aggressive to suggest a bake about.
Probably. ;-)

I’ve finally voted, and I’ve gone with “no”. The wording of the question makes it a little tricky, as I’ve neither the full understanding of the science, nor a breadth of experience that includes vast amounts of equipment, in vast numbers of homes with vast types of mains cables, to be 100% certain.

My “no” is based on my (limited) experience, but perhaps moreover by the explanations on this and other threads from folk that seem to understand the subject. Most notably Jim’s (@Jim Audiomisc) posts, which although allude to some exceptional possibilities, seem to suggest that in most circumstances there will either be no differences, or that where differences to supply can be invoked, likely best achieved by other means.

Reactions: Joe
FWIW for me the main (pun alert!) difficulty with a yes/no answer to the question is, indeed, the wording.

If it asked, "...power cords *may sometimes* make..." then I'd be willing to say, yes - even though I can't recall a single time I have noticed any! As it is, the wording presents what may be a false dichotomy between "always" and "never" which seems unrealistic to me. Devil is in the unspecified details.

I’ve finally voted, and I’ve gone with “no”. The wording of the question makes it a little tricky, as I’ve neither the full understanding of the science, nor a breadth of experience that includes vast amounts of equipment, in vast numbers of homes with vast types of mains cables, to be 100% certain.

My “no” is based on my (limited) experience, but perhaps moreover by the explanations on this and other threads from folk that seem to understand the subject. Most notably Jim’s (@Jim Audiomisc) posts, which although allude to some exceptional possibilities, seem to suggest that in most circumstances there will either be no differences, or that where differences to supply can be invoked, likely best achieved by other means.

Just to clarify.
Sounds like you're saying that you're basing your answer purely on theory, and with no genuine element of testing from an audibility perspective?

I wonder how many of the "no" respondents used the same logic.

Yes - the I can't hear it so it must be bollox brigade.

Note that I said they can sound different - not necessarily better. If you don't hear that then I sympathize/am envious. There are a number of things I can't hear but I don't go about insulting those that can. It is possible I don't know what to listen out for, or my hearing is not so good. I can cope with that.

Just to clarify.
Sounds like you're saying that you're basing your answer purely on theory, and with no genuine element of testing from an audibility perspective?

I wonder how many of the "no" respondents used the same logic.

No, not at all.

To quote myself:

My “no” is based on my (limited) experience...

My limited experience encompasses two different after market “upgrade” cables, used on probably half a dozen bits of kit. No differences whatever detected.

Yes - the I can't hear it so it must be bollox brigade.

Note that I said they can sound different - not necessarily better. If you don't hear that then I sympathize/am envious. There are a number of things I can't hear but I don't go about insulting those that can. It is possible I don't know what to listen out for, or my hearing is not so good. I can cope with that.

Grief. I post an explanation of my “no” vote, which, as restated above, is based on my limited personal experience, and appears to be backed up by those that actually have the faintest idea of what they are talking about. For this I get abuse.

Nice.

advertisement

Back