advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think a ref on the deal is impossible if Remainers can persuade others of the merits of the idea. Support would need to be higher than it is now. Farage is a big supporter of a second ref, don’t know if that includes a ref on the deal.

That’s just you doing your adolescent pedantry/ willfull ignorance thing. His was parodic yours was literal. Germany- big problem for you and the Daily Mail readers but a bit of a distracting side show from the difficulties at home.

Utter cobblers. You really are a piece of work sometimes. The equation of Germany with the spectre of nazism is indeed literal, but its not of my making, and you really need to stop trying to make it so.

Ordinary Greek people hate Germany at the moment, and they are not slow to make that comparison, hence the decidely ugly cartoons in their newspapers in recent years. The feeling runs very deep.

Your blind love for the EU really does place you firmly amongst the deeply cognitively dissonant. The most bizarre thing about that is that you are clearly highly intelligent.

They say that love is blind, and I guess we all know that it can render even the brightest people utter fools.

FFS don't go to Athens and take a taxi ride. What you will hear is going to hurt your tender feelings.

Last Week
UK Conservative government in turmoil. Can't even agree on a negotiating position amongst themselves. Keep cherry picking option they already know the EU will not accept. Useless May. Looks like the hard Brexiteer faction want to force no deal. EU look sensible and reasonable in comparison. Good chance the UK public will blame resulting mess and crash on the Conservatives. Although Rees-Mogg will have made millions shorting the market, Dacre and Murdock can't get the press safeguards removed, and Banks and his mates can't get the relaxation of the protections on agriculture and NHS procurement if there is no Tory government in power to amend the legislation after Brexit.

Now
Single UK Governmental position. Everybody behind it. Statesmanlike May. Honest. No dissent. Brexit press telling everyone how reasonable and sensible the position is.

Next Month
EU point out they have already rejected several points. Exactly the same as before, BUT - it can easily be spun as the EUs fault, not the UK. We're being reasonable. Everybody is behind it. No dissent. We are decent people seeking a compromise. It the EU that are forcing us to a no deal cliff edge, and it is the jackboot of the EU that is the cause of everybody's resulting lack of employment and sudden drop in living standards. Blitz spirit. Powdered egg. Dig in and make do. Fight the Bosch and re-elect the Torys.

New Zealand Women require another 237 from 39 overs. England bowlers under pressure. Brunt key to a win here. EDIT: England attack nibbling away at the NZ wickets. I can understand why people are staying away. Exciting stuff.

New Zealand Women require another 237 from 39 overs. England bowlers under pressure. Brunt key to a win here. EDIT: England attack nibbling away at the NZ wickets. I can understand why people are staying away. Exciting stuff.

187 off 26 now with 5 wickets down - no wonder there is no one in the park out the back.

There's always been a practical problem with that: timing.

The deal will inevitably be a last minute one. So how do you convey the ins and outs of it to the electorate, and what question to you ask?

If you ask "Do we accept this deal, yes or no?" then the gammon folk will say 'no', and it will force a stark choice with the rest between accepting it, or no-deal.

A better question would be "knowing the deal that is on the table, do you wish to leave on these terms, or remain?" The gammon folk will still leave, and some remainers who are lukewarm about the EU will probably cross to Leave if the deal isn't madly suicidal. So we'd still leave. Always assuming there was sufficient time to put together the referendum in time to get a mandate before 29 March.
It mightn't give the result I'd like, personally, but it is an awful lot closer to democracy than much of what is being touted as such. I'd probably go, reluctantly, with such a result, which is not at all how I feel now about the result of the last ref.

Apparently, in the next world cup England won’t be following any of the rules the other teams are playing by. They’ll choose their own opponents but if they win against those, they’ll still get the World Cup.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back