advertisement

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale

Well, there's only space for one Minicap in a 140. What would be great is to put two Minicaps into your 160. I did essentially that in a 180, and it transformed the thing.

i bought four bare QUDOS boards and one minicap 6 (already built- they don't seem to be available as 'DIY')

Well, there's only space for one Minicap in a 140. What would be great is to put two Minicaps into your 160. I did essentially that in a 180, and it transformed the thing.

and what ...? you split the secondary from the trafo between them? or?

hmmm ... can you explain further? now you have me thinking - as I thought to do my 160 first ...

yes i was just curious how one might distribute power for the two Minicap 6 boards in a 160 ... anyone? does that actually work? or i would need a second transformer?

Yep, just speak to Les and ask about heatsinks and other bits. He will advise on what/how many cap6 modules to use for both amps, but for sure you'll never get 2 in a 140 case!

yes i was just curious how one might distribute power for the two Minicap 6 boards in a 160 ... anyone? does that actually work? or i would need a second transformer?

It depends on the age and type of your 160. Early bolt-down models had a transformer with a single (centre-tapped) secondary and you connect that to both MiniCap6's in parallel. I've never done that so you'd need to check that there is sufficient space for both. The chrome bumper (sleeved) versions came with probably the best transformer Naim used in the last century; it has two separate (centre-tapped) secondaries, one for each MiniCap6, and also a separate winding for the preamplifier supply. You can retain the existing 24v regulator or replace it with an Avondale TPR2.

HTH

ok thanks HTH
that's helpful - i guess i have the double winding version on mine - by 24v regulator do you mean the little bit stuck on the cap going out to the pre?

Malcolm, wouldn’t the original power supply(s) in either the 140 or the 160 be capable of running a pair of NCCs making it a simple matter of just swapping the amplifier boards over? I’m not saying that’s the end game but it would get things up and running?

Malcolm, wouldn’t the original power supply(s) in either the 140 or the 160 be capable of running a pair of NCCs making it a simple matter of just swapping the amplifier boards over? I’m not saying that’s the end game but it would get things up and running?

Yes, of course that would work but the reservoir capacitors may be beyond their best. Production of the 160 began in 1971 and it was discontinued in 1986 and if, as is likely, it still has its original capacitors they will be between 30 and 47 years old.

I'm getting very tempted to dip my hands back into a bit of DIY with these boards. Will they be much of an upgrade over my current ncc200s in my dual-mono Voyager-type amp?

I’ll let you know in a few days time Tony. I’m just about to replace the old 200 boards in my Voyagers with shiny new 220s :cool:

Cool. When I did mine I wasn't disappointed with the sound. They have a little more grip, but are sweeter without being lean or shouty... are those real words?

I wonder how much difference the new front end regs make? I’m sticking with the old VBEs for the time being.

advertisement

Back