advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

^ Nottingham? I'm not being funny, you've gotta draw the line somewhere!

:D only kidding, another to add to the list, I've had many great days and nights there.

But depending on how you measure it, and how close to the edge you want to go, the nation has betweeen 5 and 19 thousand miles of coastline: that alone should keep you busy. Pick even just 10% of that as potential 'coastal bits to explore' and it'll keep your schedule full for a few years.
I always fancied the idea of cycling the coast of the England, Wales and Scotland. I'm not sure how the reality would hold up to my daydreams, but it does have some appeal.

I always fancied the idea of cycling the coast of the England, Wales and Scotland. I'm not sure how the reality would hold up to my daydreams, but it does have some appeal.
Walking is the way to really see such edges; I've done some chunks, quickly find one can add +30% just in up-and-down distance ...

Being retired helps, as you get to visit the 'big' tourist places avoiding the lunacy of Bank Holidays and other busy times.

A few possibly lesser known places that I like are not so much single towns/cities, but areas or regions.

The 'White Peak' in Derbyshire. The more rugged and bleak 'Dark Peak'

West Somerset. That whole area bounded by Exmoor to the West, The Quantocks to the East and the Brendon and Blackdown hills.

Malvern

'The Dukeries' Basically North of Nottm.

Yorkshire Dales around Skipton/Ingleton/Settle/Dent.

That whole 'borders' area around the A49 from Shrewsbury down to Hereford and Worcester, including Malvern.

Thanks. But no thanks. Aside from Stevenage I've been to all the others. Grim in varying degrees.

I'll assume it was an attempt at humour.
Bloomin’cheek! Born and bred in Southend-on-Sea and it didn’t do me too much harm ;). It’s always been a town of many parts and hidden gems; Southchurch Hall Gardens for one.

One of my favourite towns is Rye. Lewes is rather delightful. Although the presence of Harvey’s Brewery might add a touch of bias.

All in England for me.

Obvious (all cities though I think?):
Canterbury, Bath, Durham, York, Brighton.

Overlooked:
Stamford, Helmsley, Yarm, Thirsk, Ilkley

Skipton is a worthy mention. Surprised nobody has yet said Ripon, Salisbury, Frome, St David's. Mid Wales is wild and beautiful.

All in England for me.

Obvious (all cities though I think?):
Canterbury, Bath, Durham, York, Brighton.

Overlooked:
Stamford, Helmsley, Yarm, Thirsk, Ilkley

Yarm is a beautiful little place. I like to ride there on my bike. IIRC Ilkley has great pork pie place.

Bloomin’cheek! Born and bred in Southend-on-Sea and it didn’t do me too much harm ;). It’s always been a town of many parts and hidden gems; Southchurch Hall Gardens for one.

One of my favourite towns is Rye. Lewes is rather delightful. Although the presence of Harvey’s Brewery might add a touch of bias.

I am also an Essex boy born and bred in Saffend. It has its moments but like most tourist traps its best visited in February or on a rainy day in March/October. If you do end up there at that time of year, Old Leigh is worth visiting. However, please, please, please avoid Southend and its environs when its busy; like many 'popular' places, it is vile.

Having a cathedral or some kind of big old church in the middle seems to be an advantage for getting onto the "Nice towns of England" list. Beverley is quite nice. I recently spent a few days working in Lincoln - lovely town centre with decent pubs and restaurants, though its a concern to see so many sleeping rough on the streets - is that the same in all towns in rural counties?

Up here in Scotland.... a lot of small towns seems a bit hard-bitten. Peebles is quite nice for a walk along the river, Melrose has its abbey, I'm told Dunbar has become quite pleasant and benefits now from the fact that North Berwick gets far too busy when the weather is good.

Somerset levels, but not really for the towns. My parents camp site if you are down that way:
http://www.stathebungalowfarm.co.uk/

Peak District - hope valley, Buxton etc.

Oxford (apart from the mad tourist days)

Lucky enough to grow up on the former and now live 10 minutes from the latter.

I agree Norwich is lovely.

I am fortunate to live in a pretty small town on the River Seven. I keep reminding my girls that they are very lucky and that when go off to the world they are unlikely to be living anywhere as nice. But there is nothing here to keep young millennials occupied. If they do well they can come back in their 40s to enjoy it properly. Unless they work in Birmingham which is commutable.

advertisement

Back