advertisement

Denon DL-110 v Ortofon 2M Blue

Well a few years on and I left the 2M Blue behind! - I think it was a mis match with my Gyrodec RB300 so in order to get alignment (VTA) I got the Techno Arm (basically a Michel tweaked RB300) and it was brighter! Its bright up to 2 - 4 Khz but then seems to roll off noticably. Bass was always tight but almost with a HP filter - no real depth. I considered the Denon DL110 and would have liked it I am sure - but I compared with a Nagaoka MP200 and its 200% a better match on my setup bass has returned detailed clear and deep - treble is sweet but surfaces have gone! Mid is wonderful its a match for any sub £600= MC - Now when I play CD recordings done with my 2M Blue I think about re recording them (car listening etc). Don't get me wrong - the 2M Blue was detailed and clean - but the MP200 is in another league

I've not used the Nagaoka MP200 but have used the MP11 Boron, both these cartridges have a boron cantilever and I think this makes quite an improvement. I plan on getting the JNP200 stylus for my MP11 boron which is the stylus used in the MP200.
Although they have different strengths I've really enjoyed the MP11 Boron and DL110 in my system.

All the Nagaokas I have heard are really nice. I also like the sound of the Denon DL110 - but not owned one - I have had some past experience of Denons
I owned a 103S for some time. Nagaokas seem to get overlooked - but I worked in HiFi many years back and noticed them even then

In addition to getting the arm weight, VTA and all the other physical stuff right, make sure your phono stage has the right input settings. Get these wrong and you have installed a frequency filter and this will affect your freq response.

All the Nagaokas I have heard are really nice. I also like the sound of the Denon DL110 - but not owned one - I have had some past experience of Denons
I owned a 103S for some time. Nagaokas seem to get overlooked - but I worked in HiFi many years back and noticed them even then

I’m getting very close to buying a MP500, everything I’ve read suggests I’d really like it. It seems a lot of dosh for an MM though!

In addition to getting the arm weight, VTA and all the other physical stuff right, make sure your phono stage has the right input settings. Get these wrong and you have installed a frequency filter and this will affect your freq response.
Absolutely - at one point I had a device my friend nick named a 'Capacifier' which helped tune things - but I am not using it
The Nagaoka seems fine in my setup -= I had to cheat and use some Blue Tak for added mass on the arm after which it sat in the groove better.
Techno arm has VTA adj I use a protractor for the overhang etc - its all spot on and tacking is very good.
I honestly think the 2M blue is great on the right turntable - just not ideal on the Gyrodec with ether of the arms I have had.
I still use an old HFS 75 record for checking the tracking

Go for it! I've just got one but haven't installed it yet because I am still so enjoying and amazed at my cheapish AT440MLb.

Yup, they are not that cheap. Even in Japan, they retail for about $700 or so (about Y80,000).

I’m getting very close to buying a MP500, everything I’ve read suggests I’d really like it. It seems a lot of dosh for an MM though!

Go for it! I've just got one but haven't installed it yet because I am still so enjoying and amazed at my cheapish AT440MLb.

Yup, they are not that cheap. Even in Japan, they retail for about $700 or so (about Y80,000).
I would love one of those I have heard needle drops of the 300 & the 500 - the 200 is similar but obviously a cheaper version
For the amount I use the Deck its not an option for me

Just talked myself into buying one from Thakker in Germany who seem a few quid cheaper than anywhere I can find in the UK. It means I’ll have two good quality MMs in play as my Ortofon 540/II has plenty of life left on it. As I really don’t want to change my period-correct late-60s 3009 to a modern arm for aesthetic reasons (I love the look of my TD-124!) I suspect the MP500 represents a good logical maximum as to how far I can take that arm and therefore the deck’s potential. The 540/II is really good, though my impression from reviews, needle-drops etc is the MP500 may bring a bit more warmth, weight and space, which I think I’d like, plus on paper it is a better compliance match with the 12.5g SME. I have multiple headshells so I’ll still keep the 540/II to hand.

Warmth weight and space is exactly what I'm after instead of the 2m blue, and a more extended top end as well. I wonder if I need to look at the mp200 as a first step. Or maybe the at440mlb. I get the same as Geoff above with my 2M blue - seems to roll off the top end noticeably.

I very recently bought a 2M Red over a similar priced Nagaoka (the MP110) and wish I had gone for the Nagoka. I found the 2M Red rather screetchy, apparently it needs time to come on song but I'm not convinced. I'd take the Denon any day.

Just talked myself into buying one from Thakker in Germany who seem a few quid cheaper than anywhere I can find in the UK. It means I’ll have two good quality MMs in play as my Ortofon 540/II has plenty of life left on it. As I really don’t want to change my period-correct late-60s 3009 to a modern arm for aesthetic reasons (I love the look of my TD-124!) I suspect the MP500 represents a good logical maximum as to how far I can take that arm and therefore the deck’s potential. The 540/II is really good, though my impression from reviews, needle-drops etc is the MP500 may bring a bit more warmth, weight and space, which I think I’d like, plus on paper it is a better compliance match with the 12.5g SME. I have multiple headshells so I’ll still keep the 540/II to hand.
This all sounds like good logic to me - I am sure the MP500 will be Ok - if maybe almost too good for the arm - but no worries

I very recently bought a 2M Red over a similar priced Nagaoka (the MP110) and wish I had gone for the Nagoka. I found the 2M Red rather screetchy, apparently it needs time to come on song but I'm not convinced. I'd take the Denon any day.
Denon DL 110 vs Ortofon 2M blue I would now get the Dl110 but you need a good enough level of Phono stage as its neither one thing or the other in output terms -
A Phono stage with adjustable out put would be good (I have one)

Denon DL 110 vs Ortofon 2M blue I would now get the Dl110 but you need a good enough level of Phono stage as its neither one thing or the other in output terms -
A Phono stage with adjustable out put would be good (I have one)
I use a DL110, and have recently upgraded to a project tube box S, with the ability to configure it for a high output MC

It's a massive improvement over it's predecessor (on old Rotel with MM or MC), in many ways, however like you, I think the DL110 is at it's best with a more configurable phono stage

From what I can tell, the 500 is the only Nagaoka that uses a line contact stylus. I like line contact styli like the microline but I also really enjoy my Denon 103.

I would love one of those I have heard needle drops of the 300 & the 500 - the 200 is similar but obviously a cheaper version
For the amount I use the Deck its not an option for me

Agree re needing an adjustable or at least higher gain MM phono stage to get the best out of the DL-110. Found it best at 46 dB, though OK at 40 (iFi). Definitely seemed to perform less optimally on other, lower gain, MM stages.

Tried pretty much all the carts in this thread but am so happy with the AT440mlb that I can’t ever see me changing - will just buy a new stylus when this gets worn.

advertisement

Back