advertisement

Denon DL-110 v Ortofon 2M Blue

Bigbobby666

pfm Member
So i've just attached a new (sh) purchase DL-110 to my technics 1200... and in comparison to my old 2M Blue its... interesting...

Soundstage and definition seem wider and clearer with the 110 MC cart, but it seems very 'midrangy' i mean its very clear and feels pretty precise on some tunes that i know well, but if i spin some electronic tunes the bass seems somewhat lessened to what I'm used to with the 2M Blue. Is that right? Or may there be some set up issue? Im hearing no distortion and used the Technics Baerwald Arc Protractor to set the new cart and used a scale to set 1.8g's of downforce.

Anybody?

Never had the Ortofon but I thought the Denon did well in the bass department esp on the likes of Depeche Mode etc.

what's the VTA like. Is the arm

High at the pivot relative to the headshell?
Absolutely level?
Low at the pivot relative to the headshell?

what's the VTA like. Is the arm

High at the pivot relative to the headshell?
Absolutely level?
Low at the pivot relative to the headshell?
Is a rule of thumb tilted back towards pivot can increase low end, tilted forward (pivot high) can increase highs?

The Denon has excellent bass IME, if not quite as controlled and tactile as the very best low compliance MCs. But then it costs a fraction of the price. Enjoy them both for a little longer before deciding. Compliance and mass matching can alter the low end response by a dB or two and this will be influenced by the choice of arm.

The Denon has excellent bass IME, if not quite as controlled and tactile as the very best low compliance MCs. But then it costs a fraction of the price. Enjoy them both for a little longer before deciding. Compliance and mass matching can alter the low end response by a dB or two and this will be influenced by the choice of arm.

OK good to know. From what I'm currently hearing the Bass is a bit wooly when compared to the MM 2M Blue cart which seems much more precise and detailed with the low end. But then the midrange on the 2M cart feels much much narrower.

+1 I've been very happy with my DL110 too, I've never thought it lacked bass...:)

Providing its installed right & nothing set wrong then look at it another way, could it possibly be your Ortofon has more bass where the Denon is more realistic ;)

I think thats what makes it so interesting because each cartridge sounds different :)

Providing its installed right & nothing set wrong then look at it another way, could it possibly be your Ortofon has more bass where the Denon is more realistic ;)

I think thats what makes it so interesting because each cartridge sounds different :)

Id say not... some tracks that i know well are just not being portrayed correctly with regards to the bass with the 110, the flip side of it is i've never heard such realistic vocals or Jazz sound so expansive.. I think its going to be a matter of having multiple headshells for different listening moods!

Ok... Checked the alignment... Have it properly aligned with Baerwald protractor... It's a totally different beast. It's beating the 2M in most departments now!

This is so useful to read as I have a 2M Blue - downgraded a few years back from an MC25FL - but cost restrictions and low usage kind of dictated
I now have a separate Phono stage and height adjustment on the arm - changed from RB300 to Techno Arm on a Gyrodec - I am thinking the DL 110 is gonna be more pleasing - the 2M blue is tight and detailed and explicit - but a little splashy and bright at times - loading just dulls the splashiness - it is not bad - don't get me wrong, but I long for the liquid sound and presentation of MC and the Phono stage should accommodate it perfectly

Make sure the headshell is either not too light or too heavy, the standard Technics headshell weighs 7.7g and completely transformed my reson reca MM cart, previously I was using a 10.5g Mirco Seiki headshell and the sound was fine but with the lighter headshell it was like someone taking a blanket off the speakers.

This is so useful to read as I have a 2M Blue - downgraded a few years back from an MC25FL - but cost restrictions and low usage kind of dictated
I now have a separate Phono stage and height adjustment on the arm - changed from RB300 to Techno Arm on a Gyrodec - I am thinking the DL 110 is gonna be more pleasing - the 2M blue is tight and detailed and explicit - but a little splashy and bright at times - loading just dulls the splashiness - it is not bad - don't get me wrong, but I long for the liquid sound and presentation of MC and the Phono stage should accommodate it perfectly

In my experience, the 110 is neither bright nor splashy. I haven't heard the Ortofun, but I think you'd be happy with the 110 if you're sensitive to bright and splashy

Yes the 2M Blue can emphasise sibilant areas of vocals and particularly female singing - I have heard samples of the DL110 and slightly prefer it even over the 2M Black in some ways - But I do enjoy the 2M blue for the most part
despite this.

I have owned both the 2M Blue and DL110. To my ears the 2M Blue was articulate and detailed and a brighter sounding cartridge than the DL110.

The DL110 by comparison was richer sounding with a wider and deeper soundstage, instruments were more natural sounding and as a bonus surface noise was greatly reduced.

I use the Denon 110 now.

I have owned both the 2M Blue and DL110. To my ears the 2M Blue was articulate and detailed and a brighter sounding cartridge than the DL110.

The DL110 by comparison was richer sounding with a wider and deeper soundstage, instruments were more natural sounding and as a bonus surface noise was greatly reduced.

I use the Denon 110 now.
& what deck is that on BTW?
I will most likely try the DL 110 next time - maybe even get it earlier than needed in a few months
Side by side with CD my 2M blue is noticeably brighter

& what deck is that on BTW?
I will most likely try the DL 110 next time - maybe even get it earlier than needed in a few months
Side by side with CD my 2M blue is noticeably brighter

It's on a Linn LP12 fitted with Sole Subchassis and a Audio Origami modified Rega RB251 tone arm.
I'm really enjoying the system with the DL110 fitted, it seems to work well with the rest of my system.

It's on a Linn LP12 fitted with Sole Subchassis and a Audio Origami modified Rega RB251 tone arm.
I'm really enjoying the system with the DL110 fitted, it seems to work well with the rest of my system.
Sounds good, I am not really up to date with those things - I had an
RB300 but needed to adjust VTA long story short I got a
Techno arm which helped , all on a Gyrodec which tends towards
Leaner sound than a Sondek
Despite a better balance the 2m Blue is still a little bright and
sibilant at times

Well a few years on and I left the 2M Blue behind! - I think it was a mis match with my Gyrodec RB300 so in order to get alignment (VTA) I got the Techno Arm (basically a Michel tweaked RB300) and it was brighter! Its bright up to 2 - 4 Khz but then seems to roll off noticably. Bass was always tight but almost with a HP filter - no real depth. I considered the Denon DL110 and would have liked it I am sure - but I compared with a Nagaoka MP200 and its 200% a better match on my setup bass has returned detailed clear and deep - treble is sweet but surfaces have gone! Mid is wonderful its a match for any sub £600= MC - Now when I play CD recordings done with my 2M Blue I think about re recording them (car listening etc). Don't get me wrong - the 2M Blue was detailed and clean - but the MP200 is in another league

advertisement

Back