advertisement

Youngsters

I would as much wish to listen to factory machinery as Grime, Drum n Bass, hip hop, rap, or virtually any similar modern music... it just ain't music to me. Tune is what matters... TUNE! melody, interesting chord changes and progressions etc. All the above genres and more are basically rhythm only with no tune and someone usually talking over it...
I rarely hear anything "modern" on the radio which I don't think is total crap.... I heard Paloma Faith live on radio 2 earlier... crap. Huge production, brass section, loads of backing singers but at the heart of it, non-songs of 3 chords, each sounding much the same as the last, each totally predictable.
The mark of a good song is that it is still good if played as just solo guitar or piano and one voice.... it doesn't rely on crash bang wallop bum tish bum tish bum tish (repeat ad nauseam), bleep, bleep "oh yeah!!" etc etc to hide the fact it's basically just C, A, G (if you're lucky!) and nothing else...
And don't get me started on that "R n B" shite....

I completely reject any "yer past it grandad" stuff as I hated such stuff when it was first around and I was like 23...

What went wrong with music? To me it was the idea that you didn't need to be a musician. You could just sample other peoples work and loop it (there's the repetitiveness coming in) add a computer programmed drum beat (even more repetitive), no actual tune? we'll get away with it by adding bleeps and crashes.... oh but we can't sing either and of course there isn't a tune to sing... doesn't matter we'll talk over it... so it rhymes like...

I would as much wish to listen to factory machinery as Grime, Drum n Bass, hip hop, rap, or virtually any similar modern music... it just ain't music to me. Tune is what matters... TUNE! melody, interesting chord changes and progressions etc. All the above genres and more are basically rhythm only with no tune and someone usually talking over it...
I rarely hear anything "modern" on the radio which I don't think is total crap.... I heard Paloma Faith live on radio 2 earlier... crap. Huge production, brass section, loads of backing singers but at the heart of it, non-songs of 3 chords, each sounding much the same as the last, each totally predictable.
The mark of a good song is that it is still good if played as just solo guitar or piano and one voice.... it doesn't rely on crash bang wallop bum tish bum tish bum tish (repeat ad nauseam), bleep, bleep "oh yeah!!" etc etc to hide the fact it's basically just C, A, G (if you're lucky!) and nothing else...

I completely reject any "yer past it grandad" stuff as I hated such stuff when it was first around and I was like 23...

What went wrong with music? To me it was the idea that you didn't need to be a musician. You could just sample other peoples work and loop it (there's the repetitiveness coming in) add a computer programmed drum beat (even more repetitive), no actual tune? we'll get away with it by adding bleeps and crashes.... oh but we can't sing either and of course there isn't a tune to sing... doesn't matter we'll talk over it... so it rhymes like...
I’m hearing you Jez, I pretty much agree with all of that. I don’t mind some old school dance music in the right setting such as a night club, beach party etc... but not when sat at home.

I’m hearing you Jez, I pretty much agree with all of that. I don’t mind some old school dance music in the right setting such as a night club, beach party etc... but not when sat at home.

Indeed. if one had a hankering to get down with ones bad self one would choose something of quality such as James Brown or Funkadelic.

clearly your opinion matters to you, as my opinion matters to me. Neither of us is right. All genres have their place in the musical world - none deserves to be labelled "crap" or "shite", you may not like it, but if you are so dim, that you have to resort to simple one word insulting description, then you are not worth conversing with.

clearly your opinion matters to you, as my opinion matters to me. Neither of us is right. All genres have their place in the musical world - none deserves to be labelled "crap" or "shite", you may not like it, but if you are so dim, that you have to resort to simple one word insulting description, then you are not worth conversing with.

I strongly disagree with you. I have no time for the "everyone's taste/opinion is just as valid as anyone else's" thing and I'm a total snob when it comes to music. Proudly so.

If someone says to me "oh I really like Celine Dion and Black Lace" I ain't going to think "well we're all different and that's perfectly reasonable"... and I'm being really polite there! Lots of music is definitely simply shite... Top 100 for the last 30 years, most of it... anything "Feat." someone else and it's guaranteed!

I strongly disagree with you. I have no time for the "everyone's taste/opinion is just as valid as anyone else's" thing and I'm a total snob when it comes to music. Proudly so.

If someone says to me "oh I really like Celine Dion and Black Lace" I ain't going to think "well we're all different and that's perfectly reasonable"... and I'm being really polite there! Lots of music is definitely simply shite... Top 100 for the last 30 years, most of it... anything "Feat." someone else and it's guaranteed!
Why do you care so much about what other people like?

I wouldn’t judge anyone’s personality on their musical taste and I’m pretty sure Jez doesn’t. But to my ears, chart music has gone down the pan, it’s mostly pretty generic and forgotten about within a year or two with a few exceptions (I think Sam Smith’s new album is pretty decent as is Rag n Bone Man’s). There is however a lot of great current music out there that just doesn’t make it into the charts and that’s a shame.

He's channeling his inner 16-year old: "All of the bands I like are brilliant. Everything I don't like is obviously sh*t, artless and not proper music."

But to my ears, chart music has gone down the pan, it’s mostly pretty generic and forgotten about within a year or two with a few exceptions (I think Sam Smith’s new album is pretty decent as is Rag n Bone Man’s). There is however a lot of great current music out there that just doesn’t make it into the charts and that’s a shame.

Plus ca change...

The Beatles are not merely awful; I would consider it sacrilegious to say anything less than that they are god awful. They are so unbelievably horribly, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art that they qualify as crowned heads of anti-music, even as the imposter popes went down in history as "anti-popes."
- William F. Buckley Jr., Boston Globe, Sept. 13, 1964

I wouldn’t judge anyone’s personality on their musical taste and I’m pretty sure Jez doesn’t

I wasn't though. My judgement is based on how he dismisses genre's in such a rude way and definite way, as if his OPINION was the truth. If he'd have said, I don't like it, it isn't my cup of tea, then I would have just accepted that as another members opinion.

I'd hate to see the moronic masses OD on their opiates... and far less to hear it!

The whole dumbing down of everything is something I despise. The very existence of Simply, I'm a celebrity, Alan Carr and Melanie Sykes, Noel Edmunds, X factor, bake off, "R n B", boy bands, girl bands, Taylor Swift, Adele, Jay z, Kenye west etc etc fills me with the urge to defecate!

Every time I switch on the TV (rarely) I'm struck by a feeling that the main target audience is some real life "Vicky Pollard" and that if you are over 20 in both years and IQ "there's nothing here for you.."

The nadir could possibly be "celebrity magazines" in which, it would seem from the always pink with some yellow front covers, one should know exactly who is being discussed just from their first names...

Peace and Love.

I rarely hear anything "modern" on the radio which I don't think is total crap.... I heard Paloma Faith live o

Pleased you were not at my house on Saturday, you would have been sent to the bottom stair tread and if this winging did not stop, put to bed early.

Of course the charts were full of great stuff in the 60's and 70's, yeah right. I really cannot be arsed to list the shit that was around in previous generations, which reminds me.... Hope I die before I think old.

Bloss

Pleased you were not at my house on Saturday, you would have been sent to the bottom stair tread and if this winging did not stop, put to bed early.

Of course the charts were full of great stuff in the 60's and 70's, yeah right. I really cannot be arsed to list the shit that was around in previous generations, which reminds me.... Hope I die before I think old.

Bloss

"Old" has got nothing to do with it!! More a case of I have no time for those who would say that Duke Ellington, Van Morrison, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Bach could be put with Jay Z, rockstar (feat. 21 Savage), Selena Gomez Feat. Marshmello, Havana (feat. Young Thug) and that all are equally valid musical compositions and performances!

Those liking the first list have good taste whilst those liking the second list have undeveloped, child like taste.

advertisement

Back