advertisement

Youngsters

There's a lot more to music than just melody. I enjoyed the irony of writing a list of old fuddy music then saying other people have undeveloped tastes though. I still like the Beatles, but things have moved on...

Actually, surely records which lots of people enjoy enough to buy. No judgement as to quality of material or customer is implied. Some great stuff charted, also some not so great. But it all sold enough records....

That's my point, really. Music is supposed to be something people find pleasure in, regardless of melody complexity / chord count / use of complex time signature or not. Even if the most banal and simple song brings pleasure to only one person, that's a good thing. I gave up all of that 'my music is better than your music' bo**ocks when (a) I grew up and (b) I worked in a record shop and realised, it's all good, really.

That's my point, really. Music is supposed to be something people find pleasure in, regardless of melody complexity / chord count / use of complex time signature or not. Even if the most banal and simple song brings pleasure to only one person, that's a good thing. I gave up all of that 'my music is better than your music' bo**ocks when (a) I grew up and (b) I worked in a record shop and realised, it's all good, really.

I don't make a judgement on the work of an artist as to whether that work (the music) is good or bad. I don't care about the structure, I don't care that another doesn't like my musical choices. I do care about people who are musical snobs, who are rude about genre's they don't like or don't understand.

I am happy to make judgements on whether I like it or not, whether I connect with it or not. These may or may not be shared experiences, although I expect the former, give how many sold out gigs I have been to recently.

I really don’t like a lot of modern chart music but then my parents didn’t/don’t like Prodigy, Rage Against The Machine or Nirvana, I loved them and still do.

I read the other year that people tend to stop listening to new music around the age of 32...but I guess times have changed with the advent of services like spotify etc...but that's not to say they still don't like new music...

I read the other year that people tend to stop listening to new music around the age of 32...but I guess times have changed with the advent of services like spotify etc...but that's not to say they still don't like new music...
I still do listen to new music but the new music I listen to tends to be reminiscent of older styles and genres (soul, rock, funk etc...).

Well I must be the exception - since my thirties I have discovered (new to me that I really enjoy): UKG, Drum'n'Bass, Jungle, Dubstep, and in the last three years (I am in my 50's) Grime. I never recall a time when genres have captivated me quite so much. Yet I love all forms of live music - just for example in Nov/Dec last year I saw: Dizzy Rascal (rap/grime), Bugzy Malone (grime), Gorrilaz (dunno what genre they are), and The Unthanks (folk).

All I say is give the music a chance - it is ok to say you don't like it, or it grates on you or you can't connect with it. It is not ok to say it is rubbish (or worse), it undermines the work of the artist and those who do like it - and just because you don't like it, doesn't make the followers any less a person.

Well I must be the exception - since my thirties I have discovered (new to me that I really enjoy): UKG, Drum'n'Bass, Jungle, Dubstep, and in the last three years (I am in my 50's) Grime. I never recall a time when genres have captivated me quite so much. Yet I love all forms of live music - just for example in Nov/Dec last year I saw: Dizzy Rascal (rap/grime), Bugzy Malone (grime), Gorrilaz (dunno what genre they are), and The Unthanks (folk).

All I say is give the music a chance - it is ok to say you don't like it, or it grates on you or you can't connect with it. It is not ok to say it is rubbish (or worse), it undermines the work of the artist and those who do like it - and just because you don't like it, doesn't make the followers any less a person.
It’s all based on statistics and as such, isn’t universally true. It doesn’t do any harm to explore new genres at all.

same here, tho, we're all on a hifi forum (which should ultimately be about the music anyway imo..), I've just googled it, and it comes back with the age being 33, and here's one of the articles here -
https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/people-stop-listening-to-new-music-after-age-33/

but I'm always checking new music out and always have done... and services like amazon music make this much, much easier too :)
and of course I'm also listening to stuff I liked as a teen etc that I still have on cassette (as I no longer have a tape deck) with mixed results...stuff from that era that I still frequently listen too incluide - andy white, men they couldn't hang, pogues, go-betweens, kate bush, the cure etc... :)

It doesn’t do any harm to explore new genres at all

I agree, and the day I stop doing that is the day I switch my HiFi off for good.

It’s all based on statistics and as such, isn’t universally true

Yes I know, but I can understand how it might be true. Imagine that the total pool of music is largely finite (yes it grows slightly each year) then the younger you are then there is more new music to discover from that pool. By the time you reach your 30s, most (certainly with most people I know) people have formed connections (usually happy ones) that they feel no need to move on from. Yet with me, I tend to get bored, I search for stuff to make my foot tap....

Although not as up with it as you (getting too close to 70), I am still trying to get Grime, but it has not hit home yet.

I can recall in the late 70's saying to a younger work mucker, I would not mind seeing the Jam. He thought this may have been a problem for me as he said their gigs can be on the rough side and best not suited to me. I think he was being polite and did not mention my age/dress sense. I still feel odd when attending concerts and being one of the older ones, although the feeling does not last long as nobody takes any notice.

It is only natural that some genres will disappear, whether they reappear under a different guise, who knows?

Bloss

Last edited:
Musical tastes are formed in the mid-late teens. Some people just get stuck there and expect prog rock to make a come back. Just like their parents couldn't get the Beatles or the Stones and wanted big bands to become fashionable again.
Hmm, in the early 60s I listened to pop (I only had a radio), in the late 60s psychedelic and rock, in the 70s folk, jazz-rock and some classical, in the early 80s early and baroque music, in the late 80s industrial, crusty, psych rock, French piano (Satie, Debussy, etc), in the 90s world music, dub, trip hop, noise and weird shit (Coil, Muzlimgauze, Foetus), and so on. Now most new music is from Bandcamp and Qobuz (a Moroccan oud player at the moment), plus stuff like Fink, Pantha du Prince, Camille, Philip Glass, Gayan Uttejak Orchestra.
I guess I must be still waiting for my musical taste to form.

I still do listen to new music but the new music I listen to tends to be reminiscent of older styles and genres (soul, rock, funk etc...).

I've said it many times before on here. Music either moves me or it doesn't. Most of the Rap/Hip Hop/House/Grime/Slime or whatever it's called doesn't move me, so I don't bother with it. I started to lose touch with, and interest in, the charts in the early 70s. If people like it.. fine.
But worryingly, I've noticed that my daughters don't seem to look back on their formative musical experiences in the same way that many of us do. It's as if their influences were truly disposable, whereas I never regarded the best 'pop' of the 50s/60s as disposable.

I'm still busily finding new music.. to me.. Much of it is older stuff I didn't have access to in my yoouth. Some is from earlier still. Yet more is in genres outside pure chart stuff,and a little is recent.
I've got loads of stuff I havent yet properly listened to.

Speaking of pop...
This old thread seems to have degraded and is mostly just what seem to be dead links. If anyone knows how to revive it.... http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/classic-60s-pop.106139/

This too: http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/classic-1950s-pop.106963/

Hmm, in the early 60s I listened to pop (I only had a radio), in the late 60s psychedelic and rock, in the 70s folk, jazz-rock and some classical, in the early 80s early and baroque music, in the late 80s industrial, crusty, psych rock, French piano (Satie, Debussy, etc), in the 90s world music, dub, trip hop, noise and weird shit (Coil, Muzlimgauze, Foetus), and so on. Now most new music is from Bandcamp and Qobuz (a Moroccan oud player at the moment), plus stuff like Fink, Pantha du Prince, Camille, Philip Glass, Gayan Uttejak Orchestra.
I guess I must be still waiting for my musical taste to form.

You misunderstand me, your musical taste is a bit adventurous and this sense of adventure was formed in your teens. Most people just get locked into Jethro Tull or The Clash and never look over their self-imposed musical boundaries.

Personally I am travelling back in time and discovering exciting old Baroque music.

This Baroque is just a newfangled gimmick with no proper structure. All that over elaboration is ruining music and a man of your advanced years trying to get down with the kids makes one verily uneasy. I will stick with real music that speaks to the body and soul that gets the party into gear, thank heaven for Claudio Giovanni Antonio Monteverdi and John Dunstaple.

advertisement

Back