advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

I have a HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply the old one with fixed outputs.
It has 4 outputs where one of them are 12V can I use this to power the DevDAC ?

The outputs are
19VDC, 7A max, 5A full load, 3mVp-p ripple
12VDC, 7A max, 5A full load, 2mVp-p ripple
9VDC, 3A max, 2A full load, 2mVp-p ripple
5VDC, 3A max, 2A full load, 2mVp-p ripple

John,

I have a HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply the old one with fixed outputs.
It has 4 outputs where one of them are 12V can I use this to power the DevDAC ?

The outputs are
19VDC, 7A max, 5A full load, 3mVp-p ripple
12VDC, 7A max, 5A full load, 2mVp-p ripple
9VDC, 3A max, 2A full load, 2mVp-p ripple
5VDC, 3A max, 2A full load, 2mVp-p ripple

Rune,

That PSU is a beast - plenty of power for the DAC / PCB streamer :)

Are you also interested in the DevDAC?

JohnW: What is a price for Streamer / DevDAC combo? Does it have galvanic isolation between XMOS and DAC, right?

John
IIRC, you've said that the MDAC2s will be capable of being slaved to one another. That's of interest to people who have multi-channel active set ups. Will slaving synchronise the volume controls of the relevant units?

Hi John, everybody,

I was wondering why are we going expensive eMMC path instead of simple microSD card slot in streamer?
Modern microSD cards are becoming lighting fast and there are even capacities up to 256GB.

John
IIRC, you've said that the MDAC2s will be capable of being slaved to one another. That's of interest to people who have multi-channel active set ups. Will slaving synchronise the volume controls of the relevant units?

I'd say master-slave operation is impossible without synchronized volume control. IIRC John even hinted that all digital processing will be done in the master unit.

Which brings us to another point: From what we know so far, the MDAC2 cannot act as master. My guess would be that the FPGA will be a central part of the master-slave interface.

I hope to use the funds from selling the DevDac PCB's to pay for the reeled stock for the Detox etc.

The plan is that we will offer an additional USB / PMD200 (HDCD) PCB that plugs into the top of the DevDac PCB so it can function as a standalone DAC once the steamer PCB is installed in the MDAC2.

The PMD200 on this PCB is to test HDCD function ahead of MDAC2 - the USB daughter PCB can be fitted with or without the optional PMD200 (that plan is to use its excellent digital filter).

Hi John,

Could you put me down for a DevDac/USB board to tide me over until the FDAC release? (Is the plan still to have optical/coax inputs on the DevDac?)

Thanks.

p.s. Will it be the same streamer board for the FDAC? Is the USB daughterboard planned for before the MDAC2?

Hi John

How did the first spin go? If success, any eye-candy (pictures) for us?

Still battling the reflow oven heat profile - did I mention that after spending way over budget on the PnP machine I purchased a reflow oven from China....

Using a old Pro-Ject DAC PCB for testing, you can see that the solder on the components on the left have reflowed OK, but the right-hand area around of the PCB around the square IC) has not reflowed at all...

The PCB is only 95mm x 95mm - this really does not bode well for our larger boards.

I cannot afford to damage our DevDAC PCB's so I have to get this profile correct "first time"...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhih2hk4bqx5du4/IMG_3337.JPG?dl=0

I'm going to try modifying the oven by having the extractor fans (which normally run at full blast at the end of the cycle to rapidly cool down the board) operate at very low RPM during the entire reflow precess (heating stage) to circulate the oven air and hopefully this will help to even out local temperature variations across the board...

This all takes time I don't have :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back