advertisement

Google Chromecast Audio...bringing smart audio to dumb hifi

as per Jason, it is a fabulous little device with Spotify. Just make sure it is set to play at the highest quality it can. With spotify it is much better sound quality wise than I ever got using the iPad and Apple TV. It is also very reliable and I have not had one glitch on the play back all the times I have used it. There does not appear to be many services it works with at the moment in what I call headless mode, but you can I guess use it with a client on the laptop. At the moment I have not read about Tidal being a service it can work with (fortunately my excellent Moon Mind can do that, shameless plug).
Not sure it would replace AEX as I assume you also use that to do the routing in the home network.

In summary, nicely inconspicuous and works really well, so highly recommended

I stream lossless files via Airplay to an Apple TV 3 - the last version which will have optical output. I stocked up on spares :)

Thanks Neil for the shameless plug - I'd not heard of Moon MiND. It's the first time in years I can remember an advertisement which has been informative rather than annoying.

Do you know if the (Chromecast Audio) audio sent via "Cast screen" is lossless?

Mark

and of course I should point out that I have no link to the Moon

I understand the Chromecast can go lossless but depends on the source of course. So with Spotify I am limited to 320kbps of course, but it does sound pretty good considering.

Neil

Does anyone use this alongside the normal Chromecast dongle? If so are there any issues or complications? At the moment I steam from my phone to the TV which is connected to the DAC and speakers but it would be nice not to have to turn the TV on every time I want to listen to music.

Does anyone use this alongside the normal Chromecast dongle? If so are there any issues or complications? At the moment I steam from my phone to the TV which is connected to the DAC and speakers but it would be nice not to have to turn the TV on every time I want to listen to music.

I have both sat next to each other - an old Chromecast for video in the TV (audio from this to the amplifier) and a Musiccast straight to the Amplifier. I bought the Musiccast because, like you, I didn't want the TV on when streaming music.
They work fine together, no issues.
I do have a problem in that I have loads of devices potentially accessing the music on my Google account and if my daughter is streaming upstairs we can interfere - the thing plays one or two tracks then stops.
Overall though, it is great.

Cheers
Jason

I don't want the TV turned on when I stream either. Which is why my Apple TV is not plugged into the screen. I simply have an optical output straight into my meridian DAC...

Rega 2 by s_worksair, on Flickr

This way you can run old school kit and enjoy all the hassle free aspects of the latest front end interfaces. No need to spend a fortune on new "all in one boxes". Been greener and keep old school kit running :)

I just plugged one of these into my 2nd system - Original Sugden A21 - JR149 speakers.
Very pleased indeed - happy with the sound, even without an external DAC.
I have a SBT plugged into the system as well and havent done much A-B comparison but certainly dont feel like I'm missing anything with the Chromecast
So far, I've stuck to Qobuz and Spotify using Chrome browser on my MAcbook.

Need to try the apps on my iPhone -are both Spotify and Qobuz iOS apps enabled from Chromecast?

What's the best app for streaming directly to my NAS - Bubble UpNP? Anyone tried Linn Kinsky?

I just plugged one of these into my 2nd system - Original Sugden A21 - JR149 speakers.
Very pleased indeed - happy with the sound, even without an external DAC.
I have a SBT plugged into the system as well and havent done much A-B comparison but certainly dont feel like I'm missing anything with the Chromecast
So far, I've stuck to Qobuz and Spotify using Chrome browser on my MAcbook.

Need to try the apps on my iPhone -are both Spotify and Qobuz iOS apps enabled from Chromecast?

What's the best app for streaming directly to my NAS - Bubble UpNP? Anyone tried Linn Kinsky?

Just make sure it is set to high dynamic range in the Chromecast App settings. Makes a big difference.

Jason

Having had my CCA for a while now, I thought I'd share how I've become even more impressed with it of late. Not only does is stream stereo hi-res in FLAC and DSD formats (DSF as well as DFF), it does so surprisingly well. And not only does it sound great connected directly to my amp, it also sounds great connected to my Sennheiser HD650s - yes, I use my CCA to drive my HD650s! I know what you're thinking, but it's seriously good and gets my toes tapping big time. Fwiw, I use the app on my phone to adjust the volume: albums with very low dynamic range are usually played at 60-70% volume while albums with exceptional dynamic range can be played at maximum volume. Most albums I've played, however, were played at about 80% volume.

I'm still figuring out how to get the most out of my NAS, but what's clear so far is that a NAS + network + CCA = boogie time :D

Interesting. I bought a CCA and recently got around to trying it. First impressions were of a quite laid back and 2-dimensional sound using Spotify Premium into my DAC via optical compared to my usual Apple Express. On Friday I ordered a Neet Airstream from Amazon for £20-odd quid (which also has its own wifi direct capability - I have an occasional problem of wi-fi steaming cut outs). The on-board DAC on the Neet seems quite capable but feeding my regular DAC, the music was quite "in-yer-face" compared to the Apple. Have not done back to back with the CCA, or exact level matching with the Apple Express so real fun to be had when I get some free time - didn't realise that digital streamers could sound so different into the same DAC.

I've had one for a while, toslink connected to my Bersford Caiman SEG. BBC via radio Player on android phone or tablet is equal if not better than FM on the Linn Pekin, and I can see the transmitter on the hill, Holme Moss! It is a super bit of kit, I paid £15 for it.

I have been using the DAC on my CCA on my hifi (Tidal "HiFi" -->ATC SIA2 --> PMC FB1) whilst I have had my MDAC deployed elsewhere as a headphone amp. I feel uncomfortable that the sound is so good that I have been happy to leave the CCA as my main hifi DAC. Now I am not suggesting that the DAC in a CCA is as good as an MDAC, and there must be something wrong with my hifi. Or my ears. And I guess that the CCA's DAC is colouring the sound in a way which happens to be synergistic with my hifi (and any problems it has). And I only use my hifi for "casual" listening, which is suited to the CCA's DAC's "laid back" sound. But the fact is, I am currently just as happy with my CCA's DAC driving my hifi, as I have been with my MDAC.

Which I did not expect.

Great sound from mine but I find it frustrating as an iPhone/iPad user. Very few decent compatible apps and none that access Apple Music stored on your device satisfactorily.

Wish it would work with YouTube for example, from a convenience rather than SQ point of view. I'm not sure whether it does on Android.

A Chromecast audio doesn't work with YouTube, and typically doesn't work with applications which have a video content. A "full" Chromecast, with an HDMI connector, does.

I have a cheap little 7" android tablet (Samsung A6) which I use as a house remote control for controlling Chromecast, so I can walk away without confusing the Chromecast, and effectively leave a remote control wherever the Chromecast is operating

I have been using the DAC on my CCA on my hifi (Tidal "HiFi" -->ATC SIA2 --> PMC FB1) whilst I have had my MDAC deployed elsewhere as a headphone amp. I feel uncomfortable that the sound is so good that I have been happy to leave the CCA as my main hifi DAC. Now I am not suggesting that the DAC in a CCA is as good as an MDAC, and there must be something wrong with my hifi. Or my ears. And I guess that the CCA's DAC is colouring the sound in a way which happens to be synergistic with my hifi (and any problems it has). And I only use my hifi for "casual" listening, which is suited to the CCA's DAC's "laid back" sound. But the fact is, I am currently just as happy with my CCA's DAC driving my hifi, as I have been with my MDAC.

Which I did not expect.

Maybe you are right and there really is no significant difference. IMO the differences between DACs are way smaller than people make out.

A Chromecast audio doesn't work with YouTube, and typically doesn't work with applications which have a video content. A "full" Chromecast, with an HDMI connector, does.

Hi Chris, just so people know, a Chromecast Audio does work with YouTube, I got mine going last year with it, wasn't difficult, I know this as I'm not massively up on setting things up like this, so if I did it it must be easy :).

(In fact a quick Google just now shows various instructions on how to do it).

All the best, Phil.

Hi Chris, just so people know, a Chromecast Audio does work with YouTube, I got mine going last year with it, wasn't difficult, I know this as I'm not massively up on setting things up like this, so if I did it it must be easy :).

(In fact a quick Google just now shows various instructions on how to do it).

All the best, Phil.

hmmm...
not by default

I've got 5 chromecasts - 3 audio, 2 video
If I go into youtube and then press the Cast button within youtube, I'm only presented with the video chromecasts - the audio chromecasts aren't available

I have a cheap little 7" android tablet (Samsung A6) which I use as a house remote control for controlling Chromecast, so I can walk away without confusing the Chromecast ...

This is one of my big bugbears with the CCA. I control it from an iPad, and if I take the iPad away for a while, when I come back, the CCA has forgotten its association with the iPad or network, and I have to go through the whole "Add new device" process to reconnect the CCA.

It turns out the Android app Hi-Fi Cast supports gapless playback with the Chromecast Audio all the way up to 24/192. Sadly it stumbles with DSD and doesn't playback any DSD whatsoever. Still, at least gapless is possible.

advertisement

Back