advertisement

Google Chromecast Audio...bringing smart audio to dumb hifi

I just ordered this Ethernet Adaptor for Chromecast to make sure my CCA can get a wired connection to my network. It's only £11.99, a few pounds cheaper than the official Google version, but I reckon a wired connection is always better than wireless, and if nothing else, it means I can now take my CCA into the darkest recess of my flat where the wi-fi don't shine i.e. my kitchen.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I "bought" a free one with a Chromebook. Just tried it and sits behind the TV. Cannot get it to connect to my WiFi, the only device in the house that won't. Things connect outside but this wont. Good job it was free.

It turns out the Android app Hi-Fi Cast supports gapless playback with the Chromecast Audio all the way up to 24/192. Sadly it stumbles with DSD and doesn't playback any DSD whatsoever. Still, at least gapless is possible.

I found out that when you set it to run gapless, it can't instruct the stream to go direct from NAS to Chromecast - it runs via your phone/tablet - which is a bit of a pain as the phone then needs to remain connected to the wifi network.

I saw that requirement for gapless playback mentioned somewhere but never realised what it meant till to you described here i.e. gapless playback means that the audio is routed to the CCA via phone or tablet. I'm not sure how much of an issue it is as far as the end result is concerned, but it's not quite as straight forward as streaming directly from my NAS to CCA as it is with my NAS's audio app, DS Audio Station.

It just so happens gapless playback with Hi-Fi Cast became a bit stuttery the last couple of times I used it, so I've reverted back to casting with my NAS's audio app for the time being, but I'll keep an eye on Hi-Fi Cast as I requested future support for DSD/ DSD transcoding.

Mine is a Chromecast not the audio version.
This may apply to other ChomeCasters with BT Homehub 4,5 or 6. Apparently it confuses good old Chromecast due to it confusing the 2.4 and 5 WiFI bands. One needs to alter the hub so the bands are split with different SSIDs

Came across CCA for £20 in Currys today if anyone's thinking about taking the plunge... I did & despite never having had the inclination to enter the world of streaming until this thread, have no regrets.. admittedly based on 5 minutes set up & an hours listening via Free Spotify....

Bought one for £15 in Curry's a year or two ago as they are nearly always on offer. I use the digital out to stream Spotify direct or FLAC from PC's on my network. I haven't yearned for anything else since.

According to my M-DAC the signal is padded to 24-bits regardless of the source so it is not technically bit-perfect (not for 16 bit sources anyway) but it doesn't seem to be harming the sound either and it still sounds better than optical from my CD player.

I've tried to use my audioquest dragon fly red with this google device but no joy, anything I can try?

That seems to be a device for taking USB out of a PC and feeding it to an analogue device.

What are you actually trying to do, as the CCA has no USB out?

Prompted by this thread, I fired up my CCA to listen to a few items on BBC iPlayer Radio from recent 6music.

As detailed in my earlier post, my iPad had lost its connection to the CCA, so I had to go through the 'Add New Device' process again. It played for around 6 or 7 minutes, then lost connection again. I've been through the 'Add New Device' process once more, and playing OK now .......

That's strange, a network issue perhaps? My CCA is rock solid, no dropouts and can cast immediately even after an absence of days or even weeks.

Mine plays fine from the Samsung S5 phone, but doesn't appear keen to play ball (or music!) with my Samsung Tab S3 for some reason. Not a huge issue, and I'll get around to fixing it one of these days.

Prompted by this thread, I fired up my CCA to listen to a few items on BBC iPlayer Radio from recent 6music.

As detailed in my earlier post, my iPad had lost its connection to the CCA, so I had to go through the 'Add New Device' process again. It played for around 6 or 7 minutes, then lost connection again. I've been through the 'Add New Device' process once more, and playing OK now .......

Maybe refresh the set-up?

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6260600?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en

A Chromecast audio doesn't work with YouTube, and typically doesn't work with applications which have a video content. A "full" Chromecast, with an HDMI connector, does.

I have a cheap little 7" android tablet (Samsung A6) which I use as a house remote control for controlling Chromecast, so I can walk away without confusing the Chromecast, and effectively leave a remote control wherever the Chromecast is operating

Chromecast Audio works with YouTube, and as a matter of fact, with anything you watch through Google's Chrome Browser.

On my PC (and I would think on a tablet or phone you might be able to do the same), go to the Chrome browser menu and select the option "Cast...". I then select my Chromecast Audio and I can hear ANY online content through my hifi.

Quite useful really.

I think Chris means the CCA doesn't work with the Youtube mobile app.

As a matter of fact, in the Google Home app, go the menu and activate Cast Screen Audio /audio.

After having done this, ANYTHING in your phone or tablet will be heard in CCA.

So you can listen to any app such as youtube app on CCA no problem.

I just found out myself!

Cheers

advertisement

Back