advertisement

Power Cables. Are they overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I wrote to Cornell and the letter came back on Cornell paper - so I took that as good enough. But it could be a forgery :)

I don't know Dr Richard bews, or his products, but from that snippet he pointed at nothing about cables that could be improved, so ill put him in with all the others.

Re Mr Sitcom, (sic) and his views on cables, shall I paste in his promise laden puff piece about his objective intentions for hifi plus from when he took over. Good intentions didn't last long... They never do in advert revenue lead businesses.

Dr Bews is the founder of LFD and with an impressive set of credentials.

I believe the reason why the performance of audio equipment is altered by mains cables, may be due to the influence of RFI on the mains.

Always good for eminent scientists to prove a point - or not.

Though as he lends his name to cable design, he also has a vested interest in promoting such.

I'd be curious to know what aspect of "improved" that would refer to.

And speaking as an (ex-) card carrying academic, I tend not to judge on 'credentials'. Indeed, if you look upthread you can see that in the past I was less than whelmed by some comments years ago under the "Essex Echo" title made by a well known academic.
I'm not sure I follow how the "high frequency performance" of the dielectric of mains cable will help it to supply 240v 50hz. Wouldn't that improve its ability to conduct RF? Is that a good thing?

Possible but not likely, magazines rely on advertising, poor review no advertising, no magazine ,no job.
Keith
What hifi & Hifi choice used to give slating reviews back when i could be arsed to read them so this doesn't really wash.

Obviously another biased assumption based on untruths.

Re Mr Sitcom, (sic) and his views on cables, shall I paste in his promise laden puff piece about his objective intentions for hifi plus from when he took over. Good intentions didn't last long... They never do in advert revenue lead businesses.

Of course, he used to post here. Not sure when he stopped.

AIUI his view was that his readers DEMAND cable reviews and so he has to provide them. I do not say this in his defense.

Dr Bews is the founder of LFD and with an impressive set of credentials.

Question: In your experience, do mains leads really make a difference, and are the expensive ones really capable of offering value?

Answer by Dr. Richard Bews:

Mains cables do change the sound of audio equipment. Unfortunately there’s a lot claims made about mains cables that are exaggerated. I suggest that the effect of a mains cable is not as important as interconnect, but is still significant. Value for money judgments are really down to the system, where these relatively small improvements make the difference between a good listening experience and an exceptional experience.

What I do NOT condone is high pricing for cheaply manufactured cables. If a cable must use expensive materials to realise truly high performance, then so be it. But the use of expensive materials for bullshit (leads to high prices) but not for sonic improvements is not the way forward. It just upsets customers.

I believe the reason why the performance of audio equipment is altered by mains cables, may be due to the influence of RFI on the mains.

Generally I’ve found in the development of mains cables that dielectrics with improved high frequency performance possess better sound quality compared to normal PVC insulated cables.

http://www.frohmusik.de/cms/bigace/...ml?PHPSESSID=6b1f25425cbdc0247338a54fbe2dd1ee

Highlighted bit. He believes and may

In other words he has no evidence. A more persuading response from an academic would have been, "I have shown with these scientific/technical tests, which have been replicated by peers, that......"

If RF is the issue then purpose designed off the shelf filters will do a better job than 1m of hocus pocus cable

Maybe we are in the realms of the intangible elements that define quality and performance in the eye of the consumer ?

Comparing to cars, I keep thinking of the example where Ferrari drill their pedals. I've seen claims that this is all part of an unerring attention to weight saving detail. How much a few grams makes when the engine delivers 500bhp+ seems debateable, but it's a great selling point.

I have noticed that all these exotic mains cables have to look different from the crowd. They have to look the part too.

But drilling pedals does cut weight. There's some simple science involved to prove it! A weight saving strategy in a performance car is all about incremental gains - and if it's a money no object strategy it would be odd to arbitrarily draw a line that says that the last few ounces that could be saved aren't worth it.

The 500HP will also have been hard won by incremental gains, balanced with considerations for reliability and longevity etc.

But I also take your point. Expensive mains cables developed by Ferrari would find a market, no doubt!

What hifi & Hifi choice used to give slating reviews back when i could be arsed to read them so this doesn't really wash.

When was the last time you read an audiophile magazine? When was the last time you saw a slating review?

Obviously another biased assumption based on untruths.

So please give us hard facts.

I'm not sure I follow how the "high frequency performance" of the dielectric of mains cable will help it to supply 240v 50hz. Wouldn't that improve its ability to conduct RF? Is that a good thing?

If by "improved" he meant a better defined and lower loss dielectric, then yes, it might then "improve" the ability for RFI to flow along the cable with lower loss. Thus, perhaps not what people want here. However the problem is that no explanation is given by *what* is meant by "improved".

It might mean "costs more". It might mean "whatever reduces RFI even though I have no idea what that entails". It might mean something else. No details given.

Maybe the quote is taken out a context that gave the explanation we'd need. But as it stands, it isn't a statment I'd expect from an academic.

It would be more plausible to argue that "cheap PVC is a great choice as all the plasticisers and crap in it, and the way its dielectric properties vary randomly along the cable help to absorb or scatter any RFI". - i.e. cheaper is better. But I'm not sure this would be a message that'd be popular amongst the sellers of fancy cables. :) But who knows, it might just be true... 8-]

But drilling pedals does cut weight. There's some simple science involved to prove it! A weight saving strategy in a performance car is all about incremental gains - and if it's a money no object strategy it would be odd to arbitrarily draw a line that says that the last few ounces that could be saved aren't worth it.

The 500HP will also have been hard won by incremental gains, balanced with considerations for reliability and longevity etc.

But I also take your point. Expensive mains cables developed by Ferrari would find a market, no doubt!

The weight savings from drilling the pedal is real but if you compare the weight of a Ferrari to that of a Lotus, you'll see why people think it's lip service. The drilling also makes the the parallel look more "sporty technical".

If by "improved" he meant a better defined and lower loss dielectric, then yes, it might then "improve" the ability for RFI to flow along the cable with lower loss. Thus, perhaps not what people want here. However the problem is that no explanation is given by *what* is meant by "improved".

It might mean "costs more". It might mean "whatever reduces RFI even though I have no idea what that entails". It might mean something else. No details given.

Maybe the quote is taken out a context that gave the explanation we'd need. But as it stands, it isn't a statment I'd expect from an academic.

It would be more plausible to argue that "cheap PVC is a great choice as all the plasticisers and crap in it, and the way its dielectric properties vary randomly along the cable help to absorb or scatter any RFI". - i.e. cheaper is better. But I'm not sure this would be a message that'd be popular amongst the sellers of fancy cables. :) But who knows, it might just be true... 8-]
It is a never ending source of amazement to me how many cables are sold along the lines of blah blah dirty mains blah blah rfi therefore better/ more expensive conductor. Could you do this stuff without the "scientific" bullshit? Could it just work with pretty girls in the picture like most advertising?

In my darker moments I wonder whether Peter Belt was a genius. If I had a pile of money to play around with I might set up a hifi company selling products with a large prime number of holes all over the case, and small plastic blocks (probably with dimensions based on the golden ratio which you can buy one by one to stick in the holes improve the sound. Once people had filled up all the holes I would bring out even more special blocks based on new research.

Quite a lot of the budget would have to go on advertising, but i imagine Roy Gregory would be up for it.

You might have missed the point that the criticism and even ridicule is not directed at people who find that a certain cable makes a difference to them, but at manufacturers/vendors who justify the silly prices of their products using pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo.
Well sort of, but if I'm completely honest I enjoy ridiculing the people who buy the cables too. Sorry.

Well sort of, but if I'm completely honest I enjoy ridiculing the people who buy the cables too. Sorry.

I bought expensive mains cables and interconnects , pre Purité , I had read the reviews, believed the salesman and thought I heard an improvement, never left any equipment on the underground though!
Keith

It is a never ending source of amazement to me how many cables are sold along the lines of blah blah dirty mains blah blah rfi therefore better/ more expensive conductor. Could you do this stuff without the "scientific" bullshit? Could it just work with pretty girls in the picture like most advertising?

In my darker moments I wonder whether Peter Belt was a genius. If I had a pile of money to play around with I might set up a hifi company selling products with a large prime number of holes all over the case, and small plastic blocks (probably with dimensions based on the golden ratio which you can buy one by one to stick in the holes improve the sound. Once people had filled up all the holes I would bring out even more special blocks based on new research.

Quite a lot of the budget would have to go on advertising, but i imagine Roy Gregory would be up for it.
Forum gold

You're reminding me of a well known Schopenhauer's quote.
Was it
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident"
or was it "it is far easier to fool a puffed up idiot who thinks he's intelligent than it is a well-brought up simpleton."
I may have made one of those up.

I hestiate for two basic reasons.

1) In some cases they might be right, and I'd be wrong to ridicule them. I may *doubt* their *beliefs* but can't take that as a perfect guide.

2) I have a specific concern about the technobollocks used to flog things. People who *don't* understand the relevant physics or enginering (or physiology or psychology) can quite understandably fall for it because they have no clear reason to decide it *is* technobollocks.

Thus my main interest in such areas is to focus on what looks like technobollocks and see if it falls into either of the following catagories:

A) Pure Technobollocks. i.e. clearly in conflict with established physics and engineering and the mass of evidence that is built upon.

B) MOOM. This is "Mountains Out Of Molehills". A more subtle ploy which takes an absurdly tiny 'effect' and presents it as the 'reason' for some claimed change.

C) A genuine point that confirms with science and may well be useful, even if marginal.

Then try to document and explain the details. I can then point people at those details and *they* can decide how they wish to judge the matter.

If they then then decide to still believe in, say, (A), that's their lookout. They have been informed. At least I can say I tried to give them a way to assess the 'scientific' basis for themself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back