advertisement

Power Cables. Are they overhyped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have any idea what dynamic demands an audio product make on the mains supply?

If you did you wouldn't be making the inference that its is directly related to the audio signal.

Here is the dynamic mains current draw of a Marantz AV amp running 5 channels at moderate volume.

It shows the reservoir caps charging. It does not show the audio signal. 1mV = 10 mA. Made this measurement a few weeks back with scope and current clamp on the mains live wire.

Something for you to ponder. Where does the power come from when the AC cycle is at zero volts?

scope_161_zps1xh3pzbs.png

Bit of a hint there. My own amps have a single 7A quick blow mains fuse that feeds two 1.2KVA xformers but (according to Meridian) the amp can deliver a burst of 150A into a 1 Ohm load. Umm that 22.5KW so from where on Earth does all that power come? Magic or science?

Cheers,

DV

[PEDANT MODE]Radiographer[/PEDANT MODE]
Ah yes. Quite so. I could pretend that I really did mean the radiologist. But I actually did mean the person who operated the machine. I will go outside and do the decent thing.

Yes, but what if they're fancy after-market non sequiturs?
Fair question. I would probably advise them to make sure they got a really good silver plated petitio principii, and probably at least two ignorationes elenchi, before bothering about non sequiturs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back