advertisement

The Knock-Down, Drag-Out, LP12 3rd Party Parts List

My Stiletto is fitted with the Trampolin mark 2 it's what's is required by Tangerine Audio.

Regards,

Martin

Should have though of that. I wonder though if it wouldn't be beneficial to use metal feet standing on a traditional turntable shelf or table. Quickly getting rid of vibrational energy by leading it away from the turntable into something else makes sense I think. In these matters however, the proof is always in the listening.
Hans

Should have though of that. I wonder though if it wouldn't be beneficial to use metal feet standing on a traditional turntable shelf or table. Quickly getting rid of vibrational energy by leading it away from the turntable into something else makes sense I think. In these matters however, the proof is always in the listening.
Hans

I think you are right. I read lots of thoughts on what is good for the LP12 with respect to feet and supports and it seems to me that we want to find absolute answers but the problem is that almost everyone's situation is different. Yet people will say "the Trampolin 2 sounds like this..."

It is hard to even get consensus on the goal of the feet...are we trying to stop vibration getting in or trying to encourage it to leave? I think the question has not even been determined yet, let alone the answer...

There seems some sense to me in viewing the plinth / feet / support as an energy drain to help with vibration from the motor* (long ago linn tried to soften the motor connection (Nirvana?) and I guess that didn't work - for a long time since then, the whole structure of the motor body has been hard coupled to the "wobble board' top plate and into the plinth - this suggests to me that we want to grab that vibration and transfer it.. but even given that situation, the motor in question might be powered by valhalla, lingo, mose, geddon, norton, all with different vibrational characteristics - and then we add a DC motor (perhaps with markedly lower vibration and quite well isolated from the top plate by foam / housings etc too.) are we still trying to drain vibration from those as well? If not then top plates, stilletos, booplinths, Trampolins etc. ought to have very different effects on those cases.

* I'm presuming that with the LP12, since the playing section is isolated by the springs, what we really care about is vibration of the motor shaft getting into the playing department via the belt. I also presume that allowing the motor body to wobble about actually makes this worse, so it's hard clamped in place (or is this just to maintain solid motor position for belt tension (speed stability) reasons?

Hans

That was my thought when I discovered Symposium platforms and discussed with them how best to use one with my LP12.

o6m7sps.jpg

John: I can see the sense in the symposium platform to drain the energy from the motor but doesn't it also isolate the LP12 from the mana? Do you think the Mana does anything for the LP12 with the Symposium in between and if so, what?

PS: I like the combat ready diffusion device!

John: I can see the sense in the symposium platform to drain the energy from the motor but doesn't it also isolate the LP12 from the mana? Do you think the Mana does anything for the LP12 with the Symposium in between and if so, what?

PS: I like the combat ready diffusion device!

The Symposium isolates/drains in both direction which to me is a good thing.

The Symposium with the solid Linn baseboard and metal feet is better than what I was using before, 3M feet on Mana glass. I like the Mana rack with the mini table under the LP12 so have no desire to sort out a different setup.

You like that leather rug.

The Symposium isolates/drains in both direction which to me is a good thing.

The Symposium with the solid Linn baseboard and metal feet is better than what I was using before, 3M feet on Mana glass. I like the Mana rack with the mini table under the LP12 so have no desire to sort out a different setup.

You like that leather rug.

So do you see the mana as more of an isolation effect than an enhancing effect? (I'm not accusing you of using it the "wrong" way, I'm just interested - I currently have my LP12 on a sort of fake mana top)

Oh, I thought the rug was one of those camo nets!

So do you see the mana as more of an isolation effect than an enhancing effect? (I'm not accusing you of using it the "wrong" way, I'm just interested - I currently have my LP12 on a sort of fake mana top)

Oh, I thought the rug was one of those camo nets!

Not sure about it's isolation effect.

Years ago, the systemdid improve in performance when I incrementally added two Soundstages. The LP12 sits on top a mini table, 5 tier tall amp rack on two soundstages on a concrete floor. I suppose the rest of the gear on the rack have remained the same regarding the Mana effect.

There's Daniel's, (meldano's) speed controller, ac up to 24v with adjustable trim per rail, adjustable phase and frequency via USB interface, works best with a rega 24v motor.

This is my implimentation ( with a deal of help from Si ) of Daniels power supply board. Mine uses a Project 16volt motor but I am going to change it to a 20volt item.

Apologies for the crappy phone camera picture. This case is indeed a cut-down LP12 plinth. It does both 33.3 and 45..... beautifully.

This thread has been very intriguing for me. I've been off reading many websites about LP12 upgrades that I've heard about in passing but never read about in any depth. This has been a blast!

I've been thinking about an upgrade and based on everything I've been reading I'm thinking a subchassis upgrade is next. But heck, which one?

The Funk upgrades really make the most compelling case, technically. But golly, at a price.

Thanks again for initiating this thread. Much appreciated.

It's interesting you find the Funk upgrades most appealing or "technically sound".

You do have to take into consideration that they advocate for the biggest *design* changes over and above execution implementation. They don't say "Same design, different materials, better for reasons x, y, z" but rather "this is how we would redesign the table". I'm not saying they're wrong, I haven't heard any of their stuff. Of course the DC motor thing was a boon for them, but proposing to put the motor onto the subchassis is for sure a point of major contention and debate....and then it's interesting that their biggest upgrade puts the motor BACK onto the top plate but in a different spot (I think I have it right if I'm interpreting a rather 1995-esque website correctly and looking at the pictures right). Also when you go top of the line from them, the added pulleys change the overall design yet again....it's a lot to consider.

I'd like to hear one like that though. No way to know what you're dealing with until you hear it.

I researched this Daniel Meldano PS, it's a DIY project, not really something that's bought in full then fitted by a dealer or LP12 service guy. I'd have to strike it from the list unless someone on ebay is selling premade products.

That stamford audio inner platter should be on the list, though.

I also use the Meldano PS (not with an LP12) and, as you say, it is a DIY unit (just the PCB and some software in fact).

advertisement

Back