- the other is for MM/MC with RIAA EQ
- the loading (resistor & cap) can be adjusted on the MM/MC without soldering

Is that correct?

I'd like to confirm few things about the FDAC L3 with phono stage

From what I understand:
- there is 2 stereo balanced inputs
- one is line level
- the other is for MM/MC with RIAA EQ

The FDAC L3 has 2 balanced inputs per channel - on the the Basic L3 they are Line level only.

The FDAC L3 MM /MC option adds the extra Gain + RIAA filter.

Any of the FDAC L3 MM/MC Line Level inputs can be assigned as a MC / MM input from the front panel - so you can have say x2 MC inputs or x1 MC and x1 MM input or both Line level inputs, x1 MC and x1 Line level etc

- the loading (resistor & cap) can be adjusted on the MM/MC without soldering

Yes by removing the FDAC lid and then installing the resistors (ideally Vishay Bulk Foils) & Wima PP Capacitors for each input as required. These loading components are simply inserted into socketed locations on the PCB so no hand soldering is required.

A steady hand and good eyesight is all that will be required.

If I have paid for the L3 and wanted the MM/MC, do I have to pay for the L3 MM/MC in addition to the L3?

Thinking I might as well get one thats fully loaded, should aid resell in the future if push comes to shove..

John,
please be so kind, tell us two dates to all three otions:

1) the latest date one can choose for L2, L3 or L3 phono option
2) shipping date

both roughly, of course.

Perfect, thank you. :)

You're welcome. I have both my FDACs on L3 at the moment. Still thinking about the MM/MC option though.

Do you have any slave units on order? If so, any idea about the configuration yet?

You're welcome. I have both my FDACs on L3 at the moment. Still thinking about the MM/MC option though.

I have just payed for L3 + L3 MM/MC for one of my FDACs, but are searching for a good reasons not to leave the second on L2 :confused:

Do you have any slave units on order? If so, any idea about the configuration yet?

No slaves, one l2 unit and one fully featured l3 unit.
From previous discussion JohnW said that a normal unit could be used as a slave so that gives me options to experiment with.. Going to play around using it with my sub as part of my DRC setup (so yes, a whole FDac feeding just my sub). Then will experiment with rears in a haffler type setup..

Due to the High Gain of the MC stage, the internal CNC chassis screening is not an option for units with MC/MM option fitted - but its sold at cost!

L3 MM/MC cost over the basic L3 version:-

Phono Stage development cost GBP100

Extra Phono stage electronics (Without the optional Low noise MC transformers) GBP50 to GBP100 "At Cost"

Extra CNC internal CNC screen chassis 'At Cost" GBP100 to GBP150

So the Phono stage adds around GBP350 to the final cost (without the optional MC step-up transformers) BUT its a truly reference design - should be on par with the Channel D Seta Model L / Model H Pre-amplifier (which retails for US$5799)!

Can you kindly clarify the position regarding the L3 with the optional phono stage. You have indicated that if the optional phono stage is required then 'the internal CNC chassis screening is not an option'? Is this just and additional internal CNC manufactured 'box' with the phono hardware that is mounted into the existing fabricated FMAC box, for and additional £100 to £150 just for that box, or is the whole of the FMAC box now a CNC machined box? If you have a L3 version can the phono stage be added at a later time?

What is the likely cost of the MC step-up transformers which have to be installed separately by the user?

What is the likely cost of the MC step-up transformers which have to be installed separately by the user?[/QUOTE]

Around £300 a pair for the copper version of the 1933 which is the one I will use,there's a silver version as well if you have deep pockets :)

Can you kindly clarify the position regarding the L3 with the optional phono stage. You have indicated that if the optional phono stage is required then 'the internal CNC chassis screening is not an option'? Is this just and additional internal CNC manufactured 'box' with the phono hardware that is mounted into the existing fabricated FMAC box, for and additional £100 to £150 just for that box, or is the whole of the FMAC box now a CNC machined box?

The internal screening is in fact two separate screened encloses - one for the digital section and the second for the Analogue section. These two enclosures are stacked above each other like a sandwich - the "Bread" being the two completely screened sections with a non conductive insulator / Air gap between them for Electrical Ground isolation between the digital / Analogue domains. This "sandwich" block is then mounted in the FDAC enclosure as a single solid "Lump".

If you have a L3 version can the phono stage be added at a later time?

No the Phono stage components are populated during production - they cannot be added later.

What is the likely cost of the MC step-up transformers which have to be installed separately by the user?

The Transformer can be purchased directly from Lundahl (K&K Audio have a price list) a pair are required for Stereo:-

http://www.kandkaudio.com/prices/

Price each:-

LL1931 US$250

LL1931Ag US$800

LL1933 US$200

LL1933Ag US$750

LL1941 US$250

LL1941Ag US$800

LL1943 US$200

LL1943Ag US$750

"Ag" indicating the Silver versions.

I suspect I might be able to arrange a bulk purchase pricing for FDAC owners directly from Lundahl.

The FDAC L3 MM/MC supports MC without transformers, but for the very lowest noise (especially with low output MC's) the step-up transformers are recommend.

The optional transformers can be hand fitted by the owner at any time - with no soldering required.

@John

as delivery time approaches, what batch sizes do you intend to work on for FDAC products ?

might be of interest to people further down the list as I doubt you will personally test all of them in one go :)

oh and any clear indication on when detox may ship ?, need to satisfy some upgraditis

There are endless possibilities to tweak the Phono stage mode of operation from the front panel / or custom Resistor / Capacitor loadings. […]

The ADC Data can be stored / streamed to the PC via the USB connection or directly on a USB thumb drive in both native DSD64 or DSD128 or decimated to PCM upto 384KHz in Wavefile format.

John, is there any possibility of having the Phono Stage mode of operation/settings on the remote control, too?

Also, just checking: will the FDAC be suitable for playing vinyl REAL-TIME, in addition to recording vinyl to computer/USB thumb drive? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back