advertisement

Who's had good results from upgraded power lead II

They say life is wasted on the young.

But they probably haven't seen how the aging hifi hobbyist spends his time.

It was off teh eBays, but the seller no longer exists. I can't quickly spot the same thing, but plenty of options. IIRC it was about £225, which makes a bit of a joke of typical audiophile furniture. I went for it as my Garrard plinth is too deep to fit hi-fi furniture.

Thanks. World of Oak,Oakland or summat make one similar but doesn't look as nicely made as your one.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Right! I'm going to troll-up the thread with a picture of my mains block:

23939205481_8efe944c6a_c.jpg

Haters going to hate etc.
Nice rack!

You requested i supplied information regarding a fancy mains cable, again it was something along the lines of "can you explain why a fancy mains cable will be technically superior", something like this, i am not going back again searching through this lot, this is not a generic question, it is a specific question, i cannot comment on something i have not tried, it can't be any simpler put than this, i have no idea what a fancy mains cable is, i requested you show an example, not forthcoming, You also didn't explain why shielding won't help, you suggested it would not help & left it at this, as i said, you need to take more care when responding, try to remember what you have said, it saves me having to go back over your posts to point this out.

I suggested you ask someone who does use such a cable, it seems the obvious thing to do, don't you agree, i mean, why ask me when i have explained my situation quite clearly regarding such cables. I imagine there are plenty here who are willing to oblige you, i cannot as i have no intererst in expensive hifi jewelry, it's not what i do & i can be of no help to you in this area.

Rag, considering I have explained this in the simplest of terms multiple times I can only conclude you are either moronic, or more likely on a deliberate wind up.

Either way conversing with you is pointless.

A very old MusicWorks. Screened cable, decent quality switched wall sockets and star-earthed inside. Just decent and logical engineering IMHO. I've got one in each system.

Screening in the last meter serves no purpose. It also should be noted that the earth can carry noise. Star earthing at the last meter won't help. Particularly if your kit is double insulated and not even connected to earth.

I have a dedicated electric spur built into my house during it's renovation for my hifi setup & I am convinced that is better.

A mate of mine has built in a dedicated electric cable run for his hifi, too when he built his house & we both were enthusiastic how much better that was.

Well, he discovered lately by controlling the works of an electrician in his house, that in fact his hifi had been in the normal spur for the past 6 years and he had run his television on dedicated, instead..

Now..that is a bit embarrassing, but we silently agreed on ignoring it & are being proud of our dedicated spur to this day..

Make of that what you want, or...rather not. :)

I have a dedicated electric spur built into my house during it's renovation for my hifi setup & I am convinced that is better.

A mate of mine has built in a dedicated electric cable run for his hifi, too when he built his house & we both were enthusiastic how much better that was.

Well, he discovered lately by controlling the works of an electrician in his house, that in fact his hifi had been in the normal spur for the past 6 years and he had run his television on dedicated, instead..

Now..that is a bit embarrassing, but we silently agreed on ignoring it & are being proud of our dedicated spur to this day..

Good to see your honesty about the confusion. To your credit

Screening in the last meter serves no purpose. It also should be noted that the earth can carry noise. Star earthing at the last meter won't help. Particularly if your kit is double insulated and not even connected to earth.

Why do you say screening serves no purpose?
I would have thought that screening, or not, would be the only mains cable feature that could make a difference, not to the kit it feeds but possibly in reducing radiated RF affecting other more sensitive parts of the system such as phono preamps, for instance.

Reminds me of the famous Dunlavy test for cables, where folk heard all sorts of differences between cables that actually were never connected:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-tweaks-do-yourself/36910-cable-nonsense-john-dunlavy.html

obviously prevented noise from the tv interfering with the hifi

Blimey there's been a lot of posts since Christmas eve. Thanks to the answers to the original question. Those who put their heads above the parapet, you are brave, I salute you.
Postman should be here this week, I will update with my findings in due course. As it will involve me initially listening to the same thing over and over I'll be doing it when the missus is out to preserve her sanity. If I hear a difference I'll ask her to swap it blind to confirm. Of course it will be anecdotal, subjective, non rigourous, but it's just a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Blimey there's been a lot of posts since Christmas eve. Thanks to the answers to the original question. Those who put their heads above the parapet, you are brave, I salute you.
Postman should be here this week, I will update with my findings in due course. As it will involve me initially listening to the same thing over and over I'll be doing it when the missus is out to preserve her sanity. If I hear a difference I'll ask her to swap it blind to confirm. Of course it will be anecdotal, subjective, non rigourous, but it's just a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Glad you felt comfortable with posting again. Your being questioned was off putting and not what you bargained for clearly. As you now appreciate cables are a topic that brings out the differences between members.

Have fun

advertisement

Back