advertisement

Chord Mojo suitable in static Hifi?

With reference to the Hi Fi World review - I cannot say that I notice a 'treble prominence' in my system (Rega Osiris / Shahinian Obelisk). Mojo sounds balanced and very natural.

Really pleased with it.

I'm not sure why Chord spoil their products by installing so many clashing coloured lights. Not everyone wants their kit to look like a council house at Christmas. I might be interested if they manage to show some restraint on the next generation models.

Haha! I'd like to see the council issue fines for the worse offenders.

Happy Christmas everyone!

The conclusion seems to be that the Mojo is great at its price and doesn't threaten their products further up the price chain? I'm sure their marketing and technical boys had this at the front of their minds early in product development.
It's great to see a British company leading the market!

I agree. The British have led the hiFi industry since the 80's, IMO.

The Mojo was designed in parallel with the Hugo. Which probably, has, and will work out very well for Chord. Timing of the Mojo's release that is.

I have both and remain on the fence over which to rid of. The Hugo is more to my flavour offering more detail and soundstage (I only use both with Beyer T5p 'phones), but worth the extra outlay? hmm. at full cost I would say no. At £400, Mojo is a cracking product. RW clearly knows what he is doing.

All said, I upgraded to an iPhone 6S a few weeks ago and remain a little stunned how it performs with my Beyers. It sounds f*cking awesome.

Would this make a difference using a Samsung Galaxy and Spotify at "extreme quality" download.

Now with two kids this could really suit my needs as well as train commute.

Would this make a difference using a Samsung Galaxy and Spotify at "extreme quality" download.

Now with two kids this could really suit my needs as well as train commute.

With two kids and a train commute maybe decent noise cancelling headphones might be the first consideration? :D

Seriously though the answer is yes. I think extreme is 320kbs?

I listen to Radio Paradise through my 2cute (and the have listened via the Mojo too) and it sounds great.

I believe he did. The same is true of the 6, so much better than my previous iPhone 4.
...mean without.
I'm very impressed with my 6 too.

Certainly as a dac it's pretty good. Quite possibly good enough.

http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/measurements-apple-iphone-4-iphone-6.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#measurements

It may not drive every set of headphones, but that's a different story.

That said a mojo is really really cute and I can't help wanting one.

a few questions for Mojo owners related to the thread title:

I'm considering the Mojo as a static/home hi-fi DAC and headphone amp (will occasionally remove it to take it on the go).

1) I read on Chord's site that the Mojo doesn't "remember" that it's been set to line-level after it turns off. Is this the case? Can it stay on indefinitely so I don't have to set it to line level on each listen?

2) I assume if I have it hooked up to my preamplifier and then want to listen to it's headphone amp, I'd have to disconnect it from my preamplifier and switch from line-level to headphone amp?

It remembers the last volume setting it was, whatever it was.
Line level is just a volume level about half way up. It is not a special setting.
So, when you turn it on, static or headphone it comes on whatever it was on before.
I personally prefer for static hifi to set it to line level (simply hold three buttons on power on) and go down 4 clicks. This goes from 3v to 2.2v which my preamp prefers. On line out level it can distort my preamp very slightly. Next time I turn it on, it comes on at line level-4 clicks again, and the blue colors confirm this.

Yes I am. It is now part of my main source. Usb permanently plugged in for charging.
ipod touch with CCK lead as source. Gives me an evenings listening through Spotify then I recharge the ipod overnight. Spotify is pretty cool in that if I bring it up on my tablet, I can control what plays on the ipod, so it's like a giant remote.
Mojo goes into preamp via a good quality minijack to din lead which I made from a Chord cable I had lying around.
It sounds very very good. So good that I won't be looking for a new source for many years.

thanks a lot for the information. i was worried it might be a little finnicky for my needs, but it sounds like it's working for you. good to know!

Spotify is pretty cool in that if I bring it up on my tablet, I can control what plays on the ipod, so it's like a giant remote.

Hi, I have an iPhone and a iPad. I connect the iPhone to my Naim Uniti and play music. Could I control the music playing from my iPhone with the iPad?

Sorry for going off topic briefly.

Yes, I believe so but haven't specifically tried that combination. It is Spotify Premium though. If I start spotify on my android tablet, the app automatically detects that a tune is being played on the ipod (which is same as iphone really). It gives me the option to take over on the tablet, or to continue to play on the ipod. At which point, all the playlists are there, or can browse on tablet and it will play whatever I choose on the ipod. Very cool. It would annoy me having to faff around with the ipod night on night. But sitting on the sofa remotely playing stuff is luxury.
Give it a go, there's no limit on how many devices you can install Spotify on.

advertisement

Back