advertisement

System Pics 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved from an upstairs room:

fdb4f5e7-99ef-40da-b4e8-bb679b053d4b.jpg

into a dedicated room (16'x12') in the basement a few months ago and its taken a while (including installing some acoustic treatments) to get it all set up properly.

Seat%20view.jpg

Xerxes 20+/Artemiz/Shiraz/Vertere PSU/ref phono stage, SBT/linear PSU/Teddy DAC USB, Teddy PR1/MB100, SL2, BK XXLS400 sub, Teddy speaker cables (wish these came in white).

First af all, congrats for the amazing system.
having moved mine to a much smaller room, i found out that such an empty room needs a LOT of acoustic treatment. but after that it is waaay better.
Could you post a picture of the back of your listening position?

Also, if i may say, i would place the system between the speakers so that i would enjoy the view and that i wouldnt have to use longer than 10' speaker cables.

I've just replaced a Rega RP8/Apheta with a Basis Audio Debut Gold Standard with Signature Bearing, Martin Bastin Wave Mechanic, SME V arm and today, I've installed a new Lyra Delos.
The phono stage is a Whest Audio PS.30R.
The headphone system is Senn. HD800s/HDVD 800 amp.
I use an Oppo 105D for SACD/CDs.

Thanks for looking.

I've just replaced a Rega RP8/Apheta with a Basis Audio Debut Gold Standard with Signature Bearing, Martin Bastin Wave Mechanic, SME V arm and today, I've installed a new Lyra Delos.

Thanks for looking.

Wow. Thats quite the TT. How does it sound compared to the RP8?

Wow. Thats quite the TT. How does it sound compared to the RP8?

Thanks echann, Rana and Lefty:)
Too soon to make firm judgements but the Basis is in other league; all the things that are special with vinyl are there in spades. It's not just the additional detail and resolution, its the solidity of the notes, and the imaging is stretched even further out, wider and deeper. Rock solid bass which underpins everything else. The Basis was over 10K new back in the day, and the Wave pwr supply and Sig. Bearing are, I imagine, bringing something extra to the vinyl party:) But the RP8 is still an excellent set up and super vfm.

Hoopsontoast

Nice setup. Like your choice of arm for your Gyrodec and the Vandersteen 1C's. Your setups are always nicely balanced showing inspired equipment choices.

I also use a Basis Gold Std with an ARO. It's fabulous.

How did you fit in the Sig. Bearing and the Wave power supply? Did you have to send it back to Basis? I had wanted to get a replacement motor from Basis but Conti said the whole table had to be sent back to him for the retrofit.

Thanks echann, Rana and Lefty:)
Too soon to make firm judgements but the Basis is in other league; all the things that are special with vinyl are there in spades. It's not just the additional detail and resolution, its the solidity of the notes, and the imaging is stretched even further out, wider and deeper. Rock solid bass which underpins everything else. The Basis was over 10K new back in the day, and the Wave pwr supply and Sig. Bearing are, I imagine, bringing something extra to the vinyl party:) But the RP8 is still an excellent set up and super vfm.

Looking lovely, Alan, causing more than a few slight pangs of regret...

How did you fit in the Sig. Bearing and the Wave power supply? Did you have to send it back to Basis? I had wanted to get a replacement motor from Basis but Conti said the whole table had to be sent back to him for the retrofit.

Hi Hock. Hopefully Alan wont mind me answering this. The bearing assembly and platter both had to go back to Basis in the USA for the Signature upgrade, as bearing and platter are machined/balanced together. The Wave Mechanic is more of a plug and play affair and uses the existing motor, though Martin Bastin tailored the PSU for use with the Basis, adding a voltage adjuster underneath (in addition to the frequency one on the front panel) to better suit the Debut's 220v motor. It worked a treat, too, as Alan is hopefully now enjoying.

Hoops, nice to see some Vandies, the 1C's I think are really good and not just for the money. By the way, hard to tell, are you using the Sound Anchor/Vandy bases with them? If not, they can certainly add to the detail and focus, allowing for adjusting the forward/back tilt. Worth the effort in my opinion! Enjoy!

Hi starbuck,

Now I realize that the Basis used to belong to you. Why did you sell it? Did you replace it with the Garrard? How's the difference?

Now I realize that the Basis used to belong to you. Why did you sell it? Did you replace it with the Garrard? How's the difference?

A longish and boring story probably best served in another thread so as not to hijack this one, but, essentially, a different room where the stereo stuff will now go means I no longer have the spare space to use/accommodate the Debut. A 401 will eventually replace it though is still a work in progress and I am presently TT-less.

First time ever that someone has selected a 301/401 because it was smaller than the competition!

Not just smaller but hopefully lighter too (even in a layered ply plinth), so I can get it onto a wallshelf. The Basis (60ish cm wide + PSU and 40 kilos in weight) had its own shelf in the room upstairs but that was made using spur twin slot shelving, which isn't acceptable looks-wise if the TT comes into the downstairs lounge.

That's a shame. I am sure the 401 will acquit itself really well although it will likely have a different set of qualities from the Debut. I am curious myself how a idler drive will compare.

Tony, the Basis platter is super thick with brass weights embedded in it. Same goes for the arm block. I can hardly move the tt by myself.

That's a shame. I am sure the 401 will acquit itself really well although it will likely have a different set of qualities from the Debut. I am curious myself how a idler drive will compare.

Tony, the Basis platter is super thick with brass weights embedded in it. Same goes for the arm block. I can hardly move the tt by myself.
Thanks starbuck (Chris) for reponding to hockman's questions.
It's by far the largest and heaviest TT I've owned; i was surprised by how much the tonearm block and platter weigh and I'm used to the SME 20/2!
Anyway, I'm very pleased to have had the opportunity, given by Chris, to own the Basis:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back