advertisement

Is there any science to back up these little feet

BE718, you seem to actually be properly informed and have something genuinely helpful to offer. What is your take on spikes under speakers? I struggle with a 2 foot void beneath a large suspended wooden floor. Recently I swapped out the spikes for some sonic design Sorbathane pads under my large floor standing speakers. The audiophile consensus seems to say spikes sound best but the pads seem to have improved things.

Obviously I could try spikes again and listen, but I'd like to understand it better.

Also I've added other variables at the same time; a much more powerful amplifier and radically different speaker position, so I'm not sure what has caused the improvement.

Well. Think I would need to understand a bit more about your situation.

Spikes will hard couple the speakers to the floor, so if your objective is to minimise speaker vibration from getting into the floor then it's not a good way to go.

However compliant isolation would need to be correctly designed for the mass it is supporting, and as Keith says, a compliant support does need to be of the correct durometer. Sorb pads may help, but without measurement difficult to know how much and at what frequencies they have been effective.

Is your problem vibration being induced into a turntable, or is it just a general boominess to the bass? If it's the latter then isolating the speakers is not the solution. The room modes are dictated by the room dimensions and can only really be tackled with passive treatments or digital room eq. Let me know more.

MVV I would advise you to acoustically measure your room, that will show you exactly what is happening, you can measure with and without spikes, move their position, move your position ,remeasure etc etc.
Once you have identified specific problems you can tackle them.
Keith.

That you cannot predict the sonic effect that Sorbathane will have on equipment placed upon it is not distraction content (another passive-aggressive comment). It is relevant to the discussion on Sorbathane.

BE718 reveals his true colours here in stating that Sorbathane's design properties, because they are measurable, make it a panacea product and that what we hear is therefore determined entirely by what is measurable.

This is the position of a dyed-in-the-wool objectivist.

If this were so, meteorologists would be able to predict the weather with 100% accuracy across the whole globe for the next month based on looking at synoptic charts. We know they can't because no matter how many measurements you have there are always unknown variables acting as more significant determining factors.

Audio is similar.

Hearing is also believing if you believe that something can't make a difference, say, to solid state equipment.

I'm a bit baffled by the belief that CD players are unaffected as my experience and that of others shows that they are probably more so than amplifiers.

Why are you making things up Steven? Where have I said sorbothane is a panacea and where have I said this is because it's properties are measure able.

I haven't have I. So give it up, you are making yourself look desperate and silly.

Hearing and human psychology is fallible, that is why blind tests are performed. This eliminate erroneous beliefs and faith impacting the result.

You do realise that the cd disc itself is vibrating? That all the cd mechanisms I have seen have compliant mounting to minimise vibration and that there is error correction.

So if your cd is being significantly affected by music playing in the same room then I would suggest you look for an alternative product.

It's not a case, as you say, that vibration can't affect performance, microphone is real,it's just that the effect is coming through a support is vanishingly small and that the kit is vibrating of its own due to the direct effect of the acoustic pressure. Your silly plastic stand is doing little to improve the situation, at least sorbothane has some genuine vibration isolation properties.

MVV I would advise you to acoustically measure your room, that will show you exactly what is happening, you can measure with and without spikes, move their position, move your position ,remeasure etc etc.
Once you have identified specific problems you can tackle them.
Keith.

Spot on

Every CD player I and others have tested is affected by what it sits on to some degree without exception.

Thanks both. Yes the pads are specific for the weight of the speakers. No I don't get any obvious feedback into the turntable since I changed the turntable and moved the speakers.

Also I'm starting to think I am searching for a solution without a problem. It all sounds pretty good to me at the moment. However I would like to measure my room. I am an absolute technical dullard and can barely add up so would not know how to do that. Is there an idiots guide to this activity?

Thanks both. Yes the pads are specific for the weight of the speakers. No I don't get any obvious feedback into the turntable since I changed the turntable and moved the speakers.

Also I'm starting to think I am searching for a solution without a problem. It all sounds pretty good to me at the moment. However I would like to measure my room. I am an absolute technical dullard and can barely add up so would not know how to do that. Is there an idiots guide to this activity?

There is Room EQ Wizard which is free to download, and you just need a microphone, there are many inexpensive USB types available, I have here Behringer, XTZ and MiniDSP versions and they are all excellent.
The results are always interesting,
Keith.

Thank-you Keith I will try that. I have found that once you break out of the myth and magic end of the hobby it becomes more interesting not less.

My system is so much better now than it has ever been and around a third of the price it was.

Every CD player I and others have tested is affected by what it sits on to some degree without exception.
Agreed

Simple 2 minute test for anyone not accepting this

Place your cd player on a hard surface, have a listen then place it on the carpet or any soft bouncy surface, if you hear no difference your lying for the sake of it, sorry.

Purite needs to carry out this very simple & quick test for himself otherwise it's pointless making comment.

I doubt he will admit he hears a difference to save face so maybe a little pointless.

Agreed

Place your cd player on a hard surface, have a listen then place it on the carpet or any soft bouncy surface, if you hear no difference your lying for the sake of it, sorry.
So I would be lying, in your humble opinion, would I if I told of my subjective experience

Beware of generalisations. They may make you happy but hardly cover everything

Agreed

I think it is more delusion than willful deception.

It's an ostrich-like stance that dictates that it shouldn't therefore it doesn't...

More than willing to help you with this. As Keith says room eq wizard and one of these miss

http://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

Thing is Ragatoy, simply reporting what you experience without evidence is meaningless.
I'd prefer you to write me a little poem or tell me a joke.

Agreed

Purite needs to carry out this very simple & quick test for himself otherwise it's pointless making comment.

I doubt he will admit he hears a difference to save face so maybe a little pointless.

Yep, just done that. Moved my mdac from a cheap idea table, to solid wooden floor with concrete underneath to carpeted floor. Not a jot of difference in the sound.

Oh sorry you said CD player. Give me 10 minutes and i will repeat with my oppo player.

Agreed

An even simpler test, sit with your eyes shut,music playing and ask a friend to lift the Cd player from its support, you 'should' be able to pick every time the CDP is moved.
Keith.

A pfm member known to me once upgraded his system by removing Sorbathane under his equipment.

Keith won't accept this but doing so actually reduced bass boom.

I've heard one CD player benefit from Sorbathane. If I describe the effect BE will have a fit so I shan't bother.

I think it is more delusion than willful deception.

It's an ostrich-like stance that dictates that it shouldn't therefore it doesn't...

Who is deluded Steven? Your the one who thinks hard plastic isolates vibration.

You are the one who can't hear room modes.

Thing is Ragatoy, simply reporting what you experience without evidence is meaningless.
I'd prefer you to write me a little poem or tell me a joke.

It is only meaningless in the heads of black-and-white thinking, certainty-craving objectivists.

advertisement

Back