advertisement

Is there any science to back up these little feet

It is often the other way round: gains like this boost the differences that can be made elsewhere.

Experience usually triumphs over theory.

Sorbathane is no panacea, btw. It can improve a sense of air, space and decay. It can also make things sound overly 'diffused' resulting in an oversized soundstage but poor imaging, a slightly bloaty bass and softer transients.

If you are the type just to take measurements as gospel and as accurate indicators of what you will likely hear, ignore the above.

Or tiny or non existent differences are just that, tiny or non existent differences.

Or imagination triumphs over reality.

Sorbothane is certainly better than hard plastic at isolating vibration, that's for sure.

Steven, that description is a load of fanciful nonsense.

For one thing, how could that apply to all equipment? Any piece of equipment would have individual effects (if any at all) caused by vibration and it would also be dependant on the nature of the applied vibration.

Also, how can reducing vibration reduce the performance of equipment as you claim here?

If you are the type who relies on faith, just make up anything you like to explain what you would like to believe is happening.

Or tiny or non existent differences are just that, tiny or non existent differences.

Sorbothane is certainly better than hard plastic at isolating vibration, that's for sure.

For one thing, how could that apply to all equipment? Any piece of equipment would have individual effects (if any at all) caused by vibration and it would also be dependant on the nature of the applied vibration.

If you are the type who relies on faith, just make up anything you like to explain what you would like to believe is happening.

You didn't read my post before replying. This would not be the first time, would it?
Dunning Kruger.

"Experience usually triumphs over theory."

Funniest thing I seen in a very long time

Bravo Steve.

Your last line is exactly what the write up is on this product, the box states this precisely, no evidence, no written proof just we say so.

Still waiting here also, few pages in, anecdotal at best but no written evidence this stuff does what it says on the tin

Where on the packaging does it say sorbothane btw.

You didn't read my post before replying. This would not be the first time, would it?
Dunning Kruger.

I have no idea what you are referring to Steven.

You claimed Sorbothane can do X, and did your usual of using inaccurate terminology to describe what you think you hear. We went through this in the other thread. An amplifiers transient response (bandwidth/slew rate) is not going to be affected by being placed on a different surface. I will demonstrate this in another post.

In the other thread I demonstrated that sorbothane feet will reduce the transmission of vibration. I measured the vibration. The ironic thing about your statement here is that you seem to dislike some of the alleged affects of reducing the vibration of your equipment, the objective you claimed you were achieving with your super duper plastic stands. You also think that bypassing the rubber feet on your kit and increasing the vibration by rigidly coupling it to the stand improves the sound.

Just to recap what was demonstrated in the other thread.

Whatever the stand was doing with regard to vibration (bugger all in the case of my typical metal and glass stand) it did not stop the equipment from vibrating due to the direct effect of the acoustic pressure on it.

I also demonstrated there was no measurable effect on several bits of solid state kit due to acoustically induced vibration. I can't vouch for your valve amp, valves are more microphonic and yours may well be horribly affected by this.

So, if there is any effect on decently designed solid state kit then it is spectacularly small, you are much better off dealing with genuinely large issues such as room acoustics and treatments.

I still can't understand your alleged sensitivity to these spectacularly small effects you claim to hear, and yet are seemingly wilfully oblivious to gross issues such as room acoustics.

Som to answer the ops question, yes sorb feet will help to isolate kit from vibration, but the effect will be variable and dependant on things like the mass of the kit they support, the frequency of the vibration and so on. Acoustically induced vibration from the object the kit is supported on is spectacularly small. Will it make any significant difference to competently designed solid state kit? No. The kit is vibrating of its own accord regardless of what is coming through the stand. Different case with turntables of course.

I have heard no difference with any cd, amp or DAC that I have used with these feet.

My recommendation, buy some music with the money instead.

I have no idea what you are referring to Steven.

You claimed Sorbothane can do X, and did your usual of using inaccurate terminology to describe what you think you hear. We went through this in the other thread. An amplifiers transient response (bandwidth/slew rate) is not going to be affected by being placed on a different surface. I will demonstrate this in another post.

In the other thread I demonstrated that sorbothane feet will reduce the transmission of vibration. I measured the vibration. The ironic thing about your statement here is that you seem to dislike some of the alleged affects of reducing the vibration of your equipment, the objective you claimed you were achieving with your super duper plastic stands. You also think that bypassing the rubber feet on your kit and increasing the vibration by rigidly coupling it to the stand improves the sound.

Just to recap what was demonstrated in the other thread.

Whatever the stand was doing with regard to vibration (bugger all in the case of my typical metal and glass stand) it did not stop the equipment from vibrating due to the direct effect of the acoustic pressure on it.

I also demonstrated there was no measurable effect on several bits of solid state kit due to acoustically induced vibration. I can't vouch for your valve amp, valves are more microphonic and it may well be horribly affected by this.

So, if there is any effect on decently designed solid state kit then it is spectacularly small, you are much better off dealing with genuinely large issues such as room acoustics and treatments.

I still can't understand your alleged sensitivity to these spectacularly small effects you claim to hear, and yet are seemingly wilfully oblivious to gross issues such as room acoustics.

Som to answer the ops question, yes sorb feet will help to isolate kit from vibration, but the effect will be variable and dependant on things like the mass of the kit they support, the frequency of the vibration and so on. Acoustically induced vibration from the object the kit is supported on is spectacularly small. Will it make any significant difference to competently designed solid state kit? No. The kit is vibrating of its own accord regardless of what is coming through the stand. Different case with turntables of course.

I am not going to be lectured to by someone who measures and doesn't listen and doesn't read posts properly.

I made no claims. I stated that the effects of Sorbathane could be X or Y. I said it wasn't a panacea, that means not a cure-all. This clearly isn't black-and-white enough. . .

Go back to your scripted rant.

I am not going to be lectured to by someone who measures and doesn't listen and doesn't read posts properly.

I made no claims. I stated that the effects of Sorbathane could be X or Y. I said it wasn't a panacea.

Go back to your scripted rant.

Why do you keep saying I don't listen?

I listen and measure, it allows me to be more informed about what is happening. It helps to stop me making errors such as believing bits of hard plastic isolate vibration. BTW, Are you implying that my vibration measurements were incorrect?

So you are saying the effects of sorb Could be anything you like in that case. Not a very useful statement then.

Oh and you don't keep on trotting out your misinformed nonsense about others not listening and Them thinking that measurements explain everything, followed by the inevitable inaccurate descriptions of transients?

Come on Steven, explain why you say sorbothane has a negative effect on equipment performance when I have demonstrated it will help isolate vibration? Explain why you think your plastic stand improves equipment performance by reducing vibration when clearly it has no design features that do so and I have demonstrated that hard plastic doesn't isolate vibration.

Here we go again...

Newtons_cradle.gif

I listen and measure, it allows me to be more informed about what is happening. Are you implying that my vibration measurements were incorrect?

So you are saying the effects of sorb Could be anything you like in that case. Not a very useful statement then.

Oh and you don't keep on trotting out your misinformed nonsense about others not listening and Them thinking that measurements explain everything, followed by the inevitable inaccurate descriptions of transients?

Come on Steven, explain why you say sorbothane has a negative effect on equipment performance when I have demonstrated it will help isolate vibration? Explain why you think your plastic stand improves equipment performance by reducing vibration when clearly it has no design features that do so and I have demonstrated that hard plastic doesn't isolate vibration.

Rhetorical rant.

I listen and measure, it allows me to be more informed about what is happening. It helps to stop me making errors such as believing bits of hard plastic isolate vibration. BTW, Are you implying that my vibration measurements were incorrect?

Anyone remember "after dark"

I have come across some knobs on this site but this is definitely the biggest

never read such a load of anecdotal tosh in all my days

, It needed to be said when someone is so encrusted up their own arse they can't see the light of day.

I know ban coming

See you in a few weeks or maybe not.

You are all being rather naughty and it is well past your bed time (pubs used to close at 10.30pm)

Bloss

BE718, you seem to actually be properly informed and have something genuinely helpful to offer. What is your take on spikes under speakers? I struggle with a 2 foot void beneath a large suspended wooden floor. Recently I swapped out the spikes for some sonic design Sorbathane pads under my large floor standing speakers. The audiophile consensus seems to say spikes sound best but the pads seem to have improved things.

Obviously I could try spikes again and listen, but I'd like to understand it better.

Also I've added other variables at the same time; a much more powerful amplifier and radically different speaker position, so I'm not sure what has caused the improvement.

Anyone remember "after dark"

I have come across some knobs on this site but this is definitely the biggest

never read such a load of anecdotal tosh in all my days

, It needed to be said when someone is so encrusted up their own arse they can't see the light of day.

I know ban coming

See you in a few weeks or maybe not.

Level 0: Confusion. At this level the individual has a degree of zero self-awareness. This person is unaware of any mirror reflection or the mirror itself. They perceive the mirror as an extension of their environment. Level 0 can also be displayed when an adult frightens themselves in a mirror mistaking their own reflection as another person just for a second.

Level 0: Confusion. At this level the individual has a degree of zero self-awareness. This person is unaware of any mirror reflection or the mirror itself. They perceive the mirror as an extension of their environment. Level 0 can also be displayed when an adult frightens themselves in a mirror mistaking their own reflection as another person just for a second.

Oi, Ibbo don't poke that stick in there! I'm hoping to get a response from BE.

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/hi-fi-equipment-supports/278-deflex-polipods-isolation-feet.html

Is anyone aware of any science to back up that these little rubber feet actually absorb energy from vibration, I suppose it's claimed it turns it into heat but can anyone actually provide written evidence of this or is it more a case of changing the sound rather than anything scientific.

>>>>
ST distraction content

So to answer the ops question, yes sorb feet will help to isolate kit from vibration, but the effect will be variable and dependant on things like the mass of the kit they support, the frequency of the vibration and so on. Acoustically induced vibration from the object the kit is supported on is spectacularly small. Will it make any significant difference to competently designed solid state kit? No. The kit is vibrating of its own accord regardless of what is coming through the stand. Different case with turntables of course.

I have heard no difference with any cd, amp or DAC that I have used with these feet.

There you go

That you cannot predict the sonic effect that Sorbathane will have on equipment placed upon it is not distraction content (another passive-aggressive comment). It is relevant to the discussion on Sorbathane.

BE718 reveals his true colours here in stating that Sorbathane's design properties, because they are measurable, make it a panacea product and that what we hear is therefore determined entirely by what is measurable.

This is the position of a dyed-in-the-wool objectivist.

If this were so, meteorologists would be able to predict the weather with 100% accuracy across the whole globe for the next month based on looking at synoptic charts. We know they can't because no matter how many measurements you have there are always unknown variables acting as more significant determining factors.

Audio is similar.

Hearing is also believing if you believe that something can't make a difference, say, to solid state equipment.

I'm a bit baffled by the belief that CD players are unaffected as my experience and that of others shows that they are probably more so than amplifiers.

● Sorbathane can have a deleterious effect (subjectively), depending on the equipment.

● There is nothing inaccurate about how transients may be perceived. Again, an assumption is based on predictability of measurement of slew rates on what we may hear.

Correctly loaded visco elastic material, of the correct durometer and 'height' ( open cell rubber) of which Sorbathane is a variant, is extremely efficient at isolating or decoupling.
It will if used properly decouple effectively over a large frequency.
Keith.

advertisement

Back