advertisement

£1500 which turntable?

benjaminreed1

Benjamin Reed
I have read hundreds of reviews. seen hundreds of lp12s on eBay.

I listen to all music except classical (but never say never).

Now I have lots of vinyl bought spontaneously, I need a TT.

Do I go German with the Clearaudio Concept?

Do I go MC or MM?

Do I soak up an LP12 bargain and struggle to set it up right?

Do I get a Rega or Project?

any ideas.

Nice project to be starting ...

Is it your first?

What's the rest of the system?

Have you got a phono already - or is it out of that price?

Do you want to buy and just play music or are you looking to be able to upgrade, perhaps almost endlessly?

You can get a really nice LP12 for that money with a cart like a Dynavector DV20 (MC); MC is better.

Clearudio players are so very dull, I'd strike that from the list.

You might also want to look at Roksan.

Not exactly sure on British pricing but a Michell Gyrodec SE is lovely with a Rega arm and the previously recommended Dynavector DV 20. If more than £1500 I'd save up. Not just beautiful sounding but a joy to look at.

Get a vintage TT and a great cart like an upper model Sony Quartz TT or a kenwood, pioneer, etc and a Dynavector or Benz MC or an Audio Technica AT-150MLx, whatever goes best with the tonearm and spend the rest on more vinyl.

Remember you need a phono stage. If you don't have one, you'll need a big part of those £1500 for it, anywhere from £300.

A Lenco L75 idler is another option if you have the time and patience.

Not exactly sure on British pricing but a Michell Gyrodec SE is lovely with a Rega arm and the previously recommended Dynavector DV 20. If more than £1500 I'd save up. Not just beautiful sounding but a joy to look at.

+1

Probably nearer £2,000 with a DV-20 and a decent entry level phono stage (Trichord Dino)?

A Xerxes is a good option as long as the plinth sag isn't too bad and it's got a later PSU. As good as a LP12 (helped out at a dealer which sold both) but is less loved than the LP12 so residuals aren't as strong.

The Projects are really worth looking at - the 2Xperience SB at £1050 is a bit of a bargain.
There's a nice RP8 in the classifieds.

Yes, you could, and there are likely to be more about as P9 owners upgrade to the 10. I've had mine for a decade...

Do I soak up an LP12 bargain and struggle to set it up right?

any ideas.

this, but Don't ever consider buying it off the bay from a private seller.
Ask an authorized dealer who can set it up at your home or is at a reasonable distance from your home you ever decided to have it set-up and take it home yourself.

Lots of options open to you if you're OK with the 2nd hand market.
My Michell Orbe cost me just under your £1500 2nd hand for instance.
Rega, Michell Gyrodec, NAS amongst others would all give many years of satisfaction, allowing your ££ to be spent on more music, rather than getting the upgrading bug.
A 2nd hand Naim Prefix, maybe with a flatcap to pwr it can be had very cheaply & doesnt have to be "only" fitted to a Linn.
A 2nd hand LP12, with cirkus bearing & Lingo Pwr supply, along with a Rega arm could also work if thats in budget. Not sure of 2nd hand Linn prices, but other here will be.
Of all the possibilities, I'd look at a Gyrodec first, then the others. Just cos it looks as great as it sounds for the ££.
Matt.

advertisement

Back