advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, is it still possible to sign up to the project - if I do then it'll be L2 or L3.

Do you have a ballpark idea of the cost of the Fusion resistors?

I remember some time ago reading about a restriction with regard to unit being sent to you from outside of the EU - at least I think I remember that.

I live in Singapore and am interested in L2+ ... any such problems?

badday,

If you already own a MDAC then its no problem to send you the MDAC2 PCB set - its gets more tricky to send a complete DAC - Customs don't pass much interest in PCB's but do when they see a completed DAC unit.

I believe there are already a couple of MDAC2's on the list destined for Singapore :)

John, is it still possible to sign up to the project - if I do then it'll be L2 or L3.

Do you have a ballpark idea of the cost of the Fusion resistors?

Yes, there are still a handful of production slots available, but its rapidly approaching our arbitrarily set limit.

No pricing on the Fusion resistors yet for two reasons:-

1. We will be purchasing them direct and in bulk so they will be significantly cheaper then the original MDAC fusion upgrade costs.

2. I will decide the exact Bulk Foil complement when I get to listen to the first prototype - there are over 60 positions PCB locations for the bulk foils - I've also left positions for them in the ESS DAC's Analogue PSU circuit.

Don't worry, I don't plan to use anywhere near 60 Bulk foils - but I will need time with the PCB to optimise there use in the "best" locations.

As a guide, lets say anywhere from GBP50 to GBP200 extra for the Vishay Bulk foils - maybe we can do a few stages... lets see if they are even "required" :rolleyes: but I believe I already know that answer...

JohnW, I think you missed my previous question: you mentioned the stand-alone phono stage. When do you think this would be available, and where does it fit in with the growing range of Lakewest creations? :)

Fusion resistors for all my DACs!

From your username I'd have thought you didn't like fusion :p

I think I will have to go fusion too. At the moment I just can't wait to listen to my standard MDAC again, 2 weeks away from home, then I await it's return from the MDAC master, until then my AV amp will do the DAC duties, as good as it is the MDAC walks all over it.

JohnW, I think you missed my previous question: you mentioned the stand-alone phono stage. When do you think this would be available, and where does it fit in with the growing range of Lakewest creations? :)

John,

I'm really sorry - I believed I answered but either my post failed to upload or I've totally lost the plot while working on the PCB and that my answer was all but in my imagination! :confused:

The project flow will be:-

MDAC2

VFET amps (very soon after release of the MDAC2)

Phono stage (a quick project)

TDAC

Somewhere in between the above projects we might need to slip in a upgraded MDAC2 PSU if the current MDAC's AC adaptor has problems in areas of low voltage combined with the MDAC2's extra power demands.

If this does prove to be an issue then I'd rather release the full size upgrade chassis with internal PSU - a significant cost is in any "decent" chassis.

Yes, there are still a handful of production slots available, but its rapidly approaching our arbitrarily set limit.

Thanks John, I'll make up my mind over the next day or two (to be honest it's 90% made up and the £300 payment should be made over the weekend).

Steve,

Ok :) just be aware that I'm not to be trusted with timelines - I'd rather talk in terms of project development stages.

Much has already been completed but still outstanding is :-

1. Issue the Analogue PCB Files (A1.0) Request any L2 payments

2. Build and test Analogue PCB

3. Update and correct any Analogue board PCB design errors (Add ADC section).

4. Issue V1.0 Analogue PCB files to production

5. Complete the design of the Digital PCB - issue PCB file and test PCB. Request any L3 (ADC) payments

6. Production of MDAC2, Ask for "PCB at Cost" Payment

The sections I've highlighted in Bold are the major project "time consuming" milestones.

By far the most complex and time consuming part of the project is the #1 - which I'm just in the process of completing.

The almost completed silk screen overlay of the Analogue PCB, the empty sections L / R of the Top / Mid section is reserved for the 2x ADC sections, I'll issue the PCB first without this ADC section as there is plenty to test and debug on the design - I can work on the design of the missing ADC section while the PCB is being manufactured.

I'm in the process of completing the local PSU for the ESS DACs (both labelled U1) on the bottom Left / Right hand corners of the PCB - you can see the Right-hand DAC section with its Local PSU very tightly wrapped around the headphone jack - the Left channel DAC Section (bottom left Corner) will be much easier as there is no headphone jack and thus not such a tight space restriction.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/MDAC2 Analogue stage Prototype Stg7H.jpg

To give you an idea of the PCB complexity, the PCB CAD layout statistics claims:-

3828 objects (components)

84 Meters of PCB tracking

5800 component pins (which all need to be connected)

This is all squeezed onto the area of the MDAC's PCB - and the design is still not completed!

This design has been a my own personal "fun" nightmare - I'm really looking forward to listening to the design (with so many new developments), but its been awfully time consuming and very hard work!

I'm so looking forward to designing the VFET amps - a much easier project!

JohnW: is there a list showing your understanding of who is buying what? I just want to check it's correct for my order (which is L2, non ADC, probably fusion)

Steve,

Ok :) just be aware that I'm not to be trusted with timelines - I'd rather talk in terms of project development stages.

John, I've been following this thread long enough to realise that's the case. If it bothered me I wouldn't be considering the upgrade <grin>.

JohnW: is there a list showing your understanding of who is buying what? I just want to check it's correct for my order (which is L2, non ADC, probably fusion)

John,

At this time "everyone" who has paid up in full is down for the L1 version at the minimum.

Once we open the L2 payment requests, anyone who pays the extra L2 payment is then down for an L2 unit etc...

At this stage everyone is on L1 (including the Upgraded Toy / Fusion MDAC owners) and depending if we receive funds for L2 / L3 versions once we open these payment options will determine each persons final PCB build.

The Fusion resistor option will be decided when the FINAL funds are received for the "PCB at Cost" payment - each unit will be built determined by what options have been paid for - and will be confirmed via Email with each person BEFORE we build the PCB in case of any errors.

Theirs no point trying to maintain a list at this time as people change there minds over time :)

Renata will Email everyone individually before PCB production to confirm that our records are correct - only once we have received the Email confirmation will we build the PCB's

The project flow will be:-

MDAC2

VFET amps (very soon after release of the MDAC2)

Phono stage (a quick project)

TDAC

Somewhere in between the above projects we might need to slip in a upgraded MDAC2 PSU if the current MDAC's AC adaptor has problems in areas of low voltage combined with the MDAC2's extra power demands.
So I presume the idea of a non-VFET amplifier was dropped, right? Assuming the VFETs are going to be quite expensive (6-8K GBP if I recall correctly) and in limited quantities (~6 in total?), it's not exactly clear whether there's going to be a "lite" version of the VFET amp. Any insight welcome. :)

John, can I check please,

The slave DAC doesn't need a donor?

It does need a power supply, and a case would be useful, but no other parts would come from a donor mdac
So a slave mdac can be created from the mdac2 boards + your suggested 'full size case'

Any feel for the price of the full size case?

Just trying to work out the total amount to budget for a slave mdac2

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back