advertisement

Simple DC motor control

Looks like I have two of these boards, with smt parts already soldered. £10 each inc UK post.

If anyone has a board I am building a TT at last and could do with one, it can be (pref) populated or unpopulated and ms fox can solder the bits for me.

Anyone?

please

we thing it can mqke a good TT if we don'y go nuts
soon as i get the parts will look at a Rega and re-cad it in plate metal and
cannot guarantee hidden ponies under on inside

Okay I have all the parts to make a fairly decent spec rega derived turntable with a 12" arm
Going into the devialet's phono stage am considering carts when it's together, that really is a holistic thing.

So
So far we have:

Old controller case and 5mm ally base and rubber conical feet
Peek bearing
Tizo Acryl Platter
Argentinian guy's subplatter and belts
hadcock 228 12" with carbon fiber armwand
Collar for peek bearing
Switch (on/off)

Now we have a motor controller, thanks wilky.

This leaves the Premotec Motor I can get for £60 quid or so from Farnell, unless anyone has any better suggestions to work with this that will take the pulley from Mr Argentinian?

I can CAD up the top plate from 6mm ally and rebate out motor mounting points and holes when all the bits are here and I have done my geometry
I will need the subplatter (spindle) to motor hole centres and best orientation, I see rega have it at 12:00 I was thinking 9:00 or 7:00

mudy4ura.jpg

Looks like I am not done yet... Old habits dies hard but this more of an assembly job rather than "real" DIY.

Fox,

The Premotec is an AC synchronous motor, the controller in question is for DC motors. You can get something really nice direct from Maxon for Premotec type money.

Paul

PS also needs to work with Rega aftermarket Subplatter/Platter so 250? RPM on same sized spindle/pulley.

maxon motor is the best ive used , this one is apparently the same as used in the linn radikal.

Motor
RE-max 29 Ø29 mm, Precious Metal Brushes CLL, 9 Watt, with terminals
Part-No.: 226774
Outer diameter: 29 mm
Type power: 9 W
Supply voltage: 24 V
No load speed: 4810 min-1
Nominal torque (max. continuous torque): 26.7 mNm
CHF 146.80
CHF 146.80
Subtotal products
CHF 146.80

Total shopping cart
CHF 146.80
Shipping costs
CHF 32.35
Packing costs
CHF 5.00
VAT
-
Total
CHF 184.15

Its still a dc motor, it will still suffer from thermal drift, its a nice little circuit on the cheap but better exists, been there built therm, used them measured them, moved on.

Fox,

I'd suggest you start with the Premotec AC synchronous motor and a basic/k type PSU, or a Mose, or perhaps the fancy German digital thing that SQ has posted about. This will just work.

The DC motor controller in this thread is really clever, and works, but it's not trivial, and I think perhaps an ideal motor would be something really quite small, compared to the LP12 spec anyway. This is to give the controller more to work with as it compensates for the inherent impedance and turns the motor into an 'ideal'. The loads are really small in use, you don't a big motor to turn a turntable.

Anyway I have one of these boards, and a large motor, and a pulley/mounting plate from Origin Live. It's an unfinished project ATM. On the bench it works really well, holds speed over time and between startups. Perhaps progress this summer. I remember printing some tiny strobe discs for 250 rpm for testing.

But to get something working, and working really well, the simple AC setup is hard to argue with.

Paul

but it's not trivial
Yes - getting the thing stable using positive feedback wrapped around a system comprising inertial loads coupled by a spring and varying amounts of friction gets a bit tricky. My calculus is far too rusty.

Fun to experiement with, but an AC moter is better for all values from 'easier to get working' to 'tediously stable with the right controller'

... but an AC motor is better for all values from 'easier to get working' to 'tediously stable with the right controller'

Agreed but AC motor controllers all deliver a different "sound" (ie. what comes out of your speakers). ;) So there are 'OK' AC motor controllers ... and 'great' ones! :D

Regards,

Andy

Guys it's a fun project to use up some old parts inventively and dick about with the equivalent of the meccano of the home audio world. If the maxon is good then the maxon it is, if not then I'll just spunk up for a rega 24v kit...

(The 12" hadcock was a Blart I must admit, bit it was stupendously cheap...)

I can post a few off site hosted secret needle drops PaulR can do one of those circle graphs and you can all look in horror at how it sounds... Frankly I would have lived to have used a floppy disk drive controller...

(I have had a good few days selling stuff the cleanup up crew returned to me on ebay)

The hercules looks like a really nice idea there is a perversity to having a Linn derived PSU inside a Rega derived turntable, inside a madman derived zebrano enclosure. Plus linn/rega AC motors can be had for cheap...

Oh choices

OOI. What is the pushbutton hole size of an LP12 for CAD purposes?

if not then I'll just spunk up for a rega 24v kit...

Steve Tuckett (the Number9 TT creator, here in Oz) has developed a great 33/45 speed controller for the 24v Rega motor. It is what I am using - 'xept I built an E-F regulated analogue PS to use with it, in place of the 48v Mean Well SMPS that normally comes with the #9TT speed controller.

Regards,

Andy

Project 18v motor, Meldano's TT psu, pulley from me, all done for £120 and it'll work with any sub-platter of any size, even up to a platter edge drive. USB interface, AC regeneration frequency to 2 decimal places, phase angle to 1 decimal place and adjustable voltage on both phases. It's dual mono and happy driving heavy loads, ie high viscous drag bearings.

Admittedly its a total unknown for you, but it's epically good and the match of anything out there.

advertisement

Back