advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon I used to recommend the MDAC as a budget option ,but I am dismayed when I read that the designer of the product is disappointed in sample variation.

Keith.

For perspective see Johns post 713 !

So which is the budget DAC you now recommend ? and how does this surpass the MDAC?

I'd like to know if jhon still updates the mdac
and how you can send him since I live in Italy. firmware updates where I can download them?

I'd like to know if jhon still updates the mdac
and how you can send him since I live in Italy. firmware updates where I can download them?

difabio,

I'll not be upgrading anymore MDAC's once I've completed the current commitments - the upgrade path has proved not the best approach due to the amount of time required to be spent on each unit - instead we will start the design of a new MDAC2 PCB which allows owners to upgrade there MDAC to MDAC2.

I'm hoping the upgrade MDAC2 will start shipping around Christmas.

From the MDAC2 Wiki:-

http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

Upgrading M-DACs would then consist of a relatively simple entire Mainboard swap for a new one. Something that takes little time and could be carried out by 3rd parties or indeed on a DIY basis. While this would obviously necessitate time for development and production, at the end of the day this would enable much higher throughput and lots more upgraded M-DACs finding their ways to many more people - unlike the current scheme which is confined to EU customers only.

Being able to have a brand new Mainboard would allow not just streamlining of existing circuits upgrade - it would be a perfect chance to push the envelope even further with a pair of ES9018 in Dual Mono instead of just a single one in stereo for the ultimate performance, it would enable us to upgrade the USB chip to a High Speed USB 2.0 enabling 32 bit resolution at up to 768kHz as well as 64Fs and 128Fs DSD support.

The PCBs would be built in EU and fully tested & qualified by myself to guarantee consistency.

MDAC2 will feature:-

Imprved Sound quality!!! :)

Dual ES9018 Sabre32 DAC ICs

HS USB Audio Class 2 with up to 32bit/768kHz and DSD support

Toy' & 'Fusion' Bulk Foil resistors supported on PCB

Passive AV bypass RCA inputs / OR:-

Option for additional 4Way Female XLR balanced headphone connection:- 1 left +, 2 left -, 3 right +, 4 right -, (Shell Ground)

No more Left Channel Crackling bug

Increased tolerance to nasty sources such as the ATV, AEX, Sonos etc.

If your intersted in pledging supporting for the development of MDAC2 then please add your name to the list :)

difabio,

I'll not be upgrading anymore MDAC's once I've completed the current commitments - the upgrade path has proved not the best approach due to the amount of time required to be spent on each unit - instead we will start the design of a new MDAC2 PCB which allows owners to upgrade there MDAC to MDAC2.

I'm hoping the upgrade MDAC2 will start shipping around Christmas.

From the MDAC2 Wiki:-

http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

Upgrading M-DACs would then consist of a relatively simple entire Mainboard swap for a new one. Something that takes little time and could be carried out by 3rd parties or indeed on a DIY basis. While this would obviously necessitate time for development and production, at the end of the day this would enable much higher throughput and lots more upgraded M-DACs finding their ways to many more people - unlike the current scheme which is confined to EU customers only.

Being able to have a brand new Mainboard would allow not just streamlining of existing circuits upgrade - it would be a perfect chance to push the envelope even further with a pair of ES9018 in Dual Mono instead of just a single one in stereo for the ultimate performance, it would enable us to upgrade the USB chip to a High Speed USB 2.0 enabling 32 bit resolution at up to 768kHz as well as 64Fs and 128Fs DSD support.

The PCBs would be built in EU and fully tested & qualified by myself to guarantee consistency.

MDAC2 will feature:-

Imprved Sound quality!!! :)

Dual ES9018 Sabre32 DAC ICs

HS USB Audio Class 2 with up to 32bit/768kHz and DSD support

Toy' & 'Fusion' Bulk Foil resistors supported on PCB

Passive AV bypass RCA inputs / OR:-

Option for additional 4Way Female XLR balanced headphone connection:- 1 left +, 2 left -, 3 right +, 4 right -, (Shell Ground)

No more Left Channel Crackling bug

Increased tolerance to nasty sources such as the ATV, AEX, Sonos etc.

If your intersted in pledging supporting for the development of MDAC2 then please add your name to the list :)

this Christmas? when it becomes available http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC?

Hello, John!

I don't know, is this problem had been mentioned before, but sometimes my M-DAC lose synchronization with Lynx AES16 on 192/174.6 kHz. Yes, i'm using it with 110/75 ohm transformer for SPDIF level signal. A.10 firmware installed on dac, and turned Jitter option to high bandwidth. On automatic it constantly loses sync.

Strange, but if i turn 192kHz or 176.4 instantly after 44.1kHz, i get this lose sync problem, if i turn from 192 to 176.4 - no problem at all.

Any ideas ? Personally i don't think this is because of AES/EBU to SPDIF adapter, since it used many times on another DAC's and i checked output level with test signal. Could it be because of auto-frequency on AES16 ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back