advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 Level II MDAC where shipped out yesterday just before the post office closed... Typically everything tried to prevent us getting the shipment out - at the very last moment the Laser printer run out of Toner... so we had to write the address by hand...

Renata has Emailed those whose units where yesterday - I'm working on the last 3 units there where part of this batch of 10 Pcs - WAD62 units REALLY needs a lot of TLC - its a bit of a mess (WAD dont worry, by the time I've finished it will be "Perfect") :)

There are 25 new capacitors fitted to the L2 MDAC's these need time to bed in.... I'd been testing Mark Kings unit for a couple of days and there was a noticeable difference between Marks unit (powered for 2 days) and freshly powered MDAC's so they really do need this run-in period.

Mark - I could not reproduce your power-up issue....

The configuration of the MDAC setting was quite interesting - Mark's and Alessio where set to DAC mode, so used via a pre-amplifier... With the extra resolution offered by the L2 units I cannot strongly recommend trying direct into your power-amplifiers... any pre-amplifier is just going to reduce the system performance IMO...

Also I recommend:-

D3E set to "Full Suppression" (This made an even bigger difference on L2 units).

Lsb restoration set to "Restore to original"

Sampling Rate set to "Nominal Frequency"

Sorry for the delay - so much of my time has been spent "fixing" small issues with the units... just random build problems + repairs that take time...

I also noticed an oddity - on the whole the silver units tend to sound better then the Black units, maybe they where from the same production batch.. who knows... just the last silver unit tested that broke the "rule"... odd...

There is a small variation in sound quality between units - but its so hard to point the finger while the new capacitors have not had time to bed in yet (or are in various stages of "bedding in")...

As much as I love vinyl I'll be really glad to be able to listen to music all day without running downstairs every 20 minutes to flip an album over.

Would somebody be so kind as to explain the meaning and the difference between 'actual frequency' vs 'nominal frequency' please?

Dear John,

Perhaps alittle bit late asking, regardless, would it be possible to add myself to the list for a full upgraded MDAC please? I imagine it might take some time but that isn't a big issue for me right now.

Thanks,
Harry

WAD62 units REALLY needs a lot of TLC - its a bit of a mess (WAD dont worry, by the time I've finished it will be "Perfect") :)

Cheers John...

Probably best not to use it in the Tractor again...;)

What do you attribute the 'mess' to JW? I used to turn it off each day, for the first 6 months or so...it's been on continuously for the past 6 months, since I changed to a USB feed...

Actual Frequency generates load on the processors and traffic on the bus. I'd guess you can call that 2nd order effects.

Nominal frequency- this displays 44.1khz if the data is 'roughly' that frequency.

Actual frequency- this might display 44.3khz if that is the actual frequency of that specific portion of data.

One uses precessing power and cycles on the main processor, the other much less so.

John / Renata,

Sorry I have not emailed , as my email service has been down for the last 2 days. In response to Renata's email , I posted yesterday and was told 6 days to reach you.

I have insured the postage , but not tracked . Is your return insured also ?

I have no known issues with my unit . It's remained fairly static ever since ownership (owned by me since initial preorder list via pmf) , with very limited cable removal and inserts.

Must admit hated leaving it with the post office not knowing how it is going to be treated on its journey. It's all in original box and packaging, but can't help worrying. :(

Can't wait for its return , many thanks !

John / Renata,

Sorry I have not emailed , as my email service has been down for the last 2 days. In response to Renata's email , I posted yesterday and was told 6 days to reach you.

I have insured the postage , but not tracked . Is your return insured also ?

I have no known issues with my unit . It's remained fairly static ever since ownership (owned by me since initial preorder list via pmf) , with very limited cable removal and inserts.

Must admit hated leaving it with the post office not knowing how it is going to be treated on its journey. It's all in original box and packaging, but can't help worrying. :(

Can't wait for its return , many thanks !

Hi Phil,

We will let you know as soon as your unit arrives - the Audiolab packaging appears to have protected units very well... so far.

The maximum we can insure returned units is CZK12000 (GBP400) - but alteast we would be able to replace a unit with a new unit :) (I'd not be compensated for my time to modify the replacement unit) :( its the best we can do ATM.

Hi Phil,

We will let you know as soon as your unit arrives - the Audiolab packaging appears to have protected units very well... so far.

The maximum we can insure returned units is CZK12000 (GBP400) - but alteast we would be able to replace a unit with a new unit :) (I'd not be compensated for my time to modify the replacement unit) :( its the best we can do ATM.

Thanks for info in regards to insurance.

Even though packages are labeled fragile, it's a fairly discrete label , not sure how well they are handled. Makes you think just how much impact and banging around can these units take? The box will protect most , but you won't be able to tell just how much the package has to endure. What can be dislodged and damaged component wise? Solder joints broken... No idea , best not to think about it I guess

Hovering around 50 is normal on my USB input.
What is your source? "Coz" It has been known for a noisy pc to effect the quality, "init"
Also are you lossless or compressed mp3 lower than 320kbps?
What are you comparing it to ?

Hi. I'm new with m dac. My m dac usb buffer is about 50%. Is it normal? Coz they sound teribble

Yes - 50% buffer is the normal operation - is the sound breaking up? have you tried the bit perfect test to insure your Data is not being manipulated by the USB host device?

Thanks for info in regards to insurance.

Even though packages are labeled fragile, it's a fairly discrete label , not sure how well they are handled. Makes you think just how much impact and banging around can these units take? The box will protect most , but you won't be able to tell just how much the package has to endure. What can be dislodged and damaged component wise? Solder joints broken... No idea , best not to think about it I guess

"Fragile" is just an invitation to drop the box harder....

The MDAC is well padded with foam so I'd not worry about external shocks to much... fingers crossed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back