advertisement

System Components

Why don't you elaborate on your magic system hypothesis? You are saying that if your system plays in time and tune, then it is magically exempt from the acoustics of the room you put it in? You are either spectacularly dim, trolling, or mad.

I asked for elaboration not a straw man.

Magically exempt? No, just that you tend not to notice room acoustics if the music itself sound right.

A slightly rattled Devil with Tourettes?

I asked for elaboration not a straw man.

Magically exempt? No, just that you tend not to notice room acoustics if the music itself sound right.

A slightly rattled Devil with Tourettes?

That's great Steven. You don't tend to notice them, but other (more discerning) listeners will.

Many years ago, I had a hi-fi system played at me in a very small room at high volume. It was atrocious, but the owner couldn't hear the room resonance at all, even after it was pointed out. I guess he'd just got used to it over the years, and kind of dialled it out.

I'm painfully aware of mine (and making progress taming it.) Bit of a challenge balancing between too live and too dead.

Flutter echo? What's that?

Is it when people have sparsely-furnished rooms with polished wooden floors and blinds instead of lined curtains?

Many years ago, I had a hi-fi system played at me in a very small room at high volume. It was atrocious, but the owner couldn't hear the room resonance at all, even after it was pointed out. I guess he'd just got used to it over the years, and kind of dialled it out.

Was that before or after Mana?

Sparsely furnished and wooden floors not required for the illness Steven. I have carpet and a normal amount of furniture and still have echo best tamed so far at opposing wall/ceiling junctions. I just hate doo-dads stuck on my wall as much as my hifi;-)

Think of the echos in your sparsely furnished room scenario only occuring rapidly one behind the other and just below the threshold of the system's output. It's never heard as a distinct entity when playing music unless you hit the mute button. You'll then here maybe two or three echoes one right after the other all decaying in less than a second. Here's a bit more on flutter echo:

See PART 1: ACOUSTIC TREATMENT

- and-

See side bar "Flutter Echo"

I think I've heard the same - it was like being in a pressurised room. Oddly, this went unnoticed by the owner, who interpreted the sound as punchy ("slam", I believe he called it).

I (and many others) found the experience a bit unpleasant. And not just because of the music.

I think I've heard the same - it was like being in a pressurised room. Oddly, this went unnoticed by the owner, who interpreted the sound as punchy ("slam", I believe he called it).

I (and many others) found the experience a bit unpleasant. And not just because of the music.

Are you talking about the same system/room?

The thing that always gets me is the number of people who think little speakers can play really, really loud. They can't. The end.

I did hear some small speakers played quite loud once at the Bristol hi-fi show in 2008. It is possible but they did sound awful.

It is true that if your system plays in tune and in time* you will not notice that your room acoustics are less than perfect.

*For the pedants, faithfully reproducing music played in tune and in time.

As others have pointed out, if your room acoustics are less than perfect, your system will unfortunately be incapable of faithfully reproducing music played in tune and played in time - this sadly is a simple case of physics at work.

As others have pointed out, if your room acoustics are less than perfect, your system will unfortunately be incapable of faithfully reproducing music played in tune and played in time - this sadly is a simple case of physics at work.

Does the same apply to musical instruments played live?

Flutter echo? What's that?

Is it when people have sparsely-furnished rooms

We moved half a year ago, and haven't found the time yet to hang all off
the pictures and paintings, yes, we are having quite massive flutter echos in
just about every room.

That includes the music room, and that one has full carpet,
over 6 m^2 of curtains, and assorted furniture and book/LP/CD
storage.
Particularly nasty is (was) the flutter echo lengthwise between facing
walls, each showing some 4 m^2 of bare surface.
Hanging Daniel L., Trixie W., Leonard C., Heather N. and Nina S. off
one of these walls cured it entirely.

Yes because you are playing a recording with its own acoustic, and them superimposing your rooms acoustic on top.
I suppose if the recording were made in an anechoic chamber!
Keith.

advertisement

Back