advertisement

Best tuner ever made?

Nick

Sony XDR-F1HD (the worst for audio quality but the best for selectivity)
Interested in how this really performs - I considered just getting one to play with. It really ought to excel on selectivity since its effectively a software-defined FFT of everything incoming...

Oh yes, the selectivity is super sharp. You can hear weak signals 100kHz away from strong ones with no problem as a general rule. But the sound is lifeless and flat like an MP3. I suppose it is clear and bright in tone but it sounds very obviously digital.

I have been very happy with an A&R cambridge T21 having owned a brand new one in 1986, and having rediscovered them in the last 12 months.

In the interim have gone up and down both the Quad And Naim tuner trees to the very top in each case.

Well when you guys over there can't use them anymore, you can send them across the ocean to us at greatly reduced prices! :)

Anyone know what changes have to be made to the deemphasis filter to make a UK FM tuner compatible with US broadcasts? Is it just the matter of changing a capacitor or two?

Yes, change the 2 10nF caps on the stereo decoder board (SD2) for 15nF.

Talking of technical matters, I've a Meridian MFM (an update of the 104 in a case to match the Zebra component range) that has a range up to 104.1 MHz.

What would I need to tweak to bring it all the way to 108 like my last one did? Would there be a preset pot or something I can tweak or would it need a component change?

The MFM is a great tuner, another cute small form factor with a nice LED display. Compared to my Tandberg 3001 it has a more fresh sound, less warmth but just as good detail and wide soundstage. These differences could be down to calibration though for all I know.

Nick

Interested in how this really performs - I considered just getting one to play with. It really ought to excel on selectivity since its effectively a software-defined FFT of everything incoming...

The FM section of the Naim Uniti uses similar technology doesn't it? Wonder how it sounds?

Talking of technical matters, I've a Meridian MFM (an update of the 104 in a case to match the Zebra component range) that has a range up to 104.1 MHz.

What would I need to tweak to bring it all the way to 108 like my last one did? Would there be a preset pot or something I can tweak or would it need a component change?

The MFM is a great tuner, another cute small form factor with a nice LED display. Compared to my Tandberg 3001 it has a more fresh sound, less warmth but just as good detail and wide soundstage. These differences could be down to calibration though for all I know.

I'm guessing the MFM must be an old tuner if it goes up to 104.1. I saw a very nice-looking Dual tuner on eBay Germany recently that is supposed to be excellent but it also only tuned up to 104 MHz. This surprised me as I thought Europe had used 105-108 for much longer than here.

I want to comment on two issues: 1. Naim tuners in north american 'assessments' 2. The so-called 'death of analogue'.

1. I want to give the final lie to any authority claimed by "fmtunerinfo" and those who so frequently cite its results.

I was based in north america for about 15 years during the 1970's and 1980's, including six years in permanent residence.

OK, that's a long time ago, but plus ca change in the FM realm - for mainly "sound" reasons.

From that experience it was clear that FM broadcasting in north america uses different conventions in such areas as signal output, compression, filtering etc.

Hence to take an FM Tuner specified for the uk and run it in north america (and vice versa) was to effcetively add a 'disability' to the performance of the tuner in question.

For example, most uk fm areas cover about 60 miles diameter; most american fm stations cover about 20 miles diameter - and many 'squat' in 1-2 miles.

Given a 'fix' or equalisation for that in the case of Naim tuners, the next issue is, of course, that the NAT-01 and NAT-101 rely upon discrete power supplies.

Once again, if these are simply 'plugged in' on a north american circuit using a commonly available adaptor, then performance is altered.

The tuners that came 'tops' in the American-based survey are those I know/knew very well - they are absolutely unsurpassable in the amount and quality of components laid down to (1) match every conceivable US/Japan radio environment (within those limits) and (2) satisfy every urge to switch a switch felt by any american (during the period of the vietnam war).

There are some quite good performers in the american-generated 'tops' list, and they can be enjoyed anywhere in the world today with suitable modification provided only that you have an aerial system and shelving to match their demands.

NONE of these japanese/american confections comes WITHIN A MILE of the slender, specific, dedicated FM tuners produced in britain in the 1960's - 1970's by such firms as Quad, Armstrong and Naim.

If you are in britain what you have to do is LISTEN - starting from a BBC-3 or BBC-4 full-bandwith stereo broadcast, these (and other) british tuners simply disgrace the filter-fuddled monsters from elsewhere.

2. Why do people predict the 'end of FM' when these tuners can be used with DACs to continue to provide us with thrill & spills?

Skyebridge

Adding to my previous post, without wanting to be too ascerbic to the originator, a Linn Kremlin is essentially a Naim-01 without the power supply and with added 'bits' to satisfy a world-wide market.

Both tuners are fantastic in sensitivity.

However, the only Kremlin that will really work with 'a bit of wire as an aerial' is the Kremlin with the 'Slimline' power supply (i.e. it really is a Naim Nat-01).

If you don't have a Slimline, it's a very difficult tuner to get signal from unless its hooked to an excellent airial.

Skyebridge

Just to add a bit of emphasis - here's part of the specification for my Luxman tuner (very top-end north american 1970's -80's):

"4-gang FM tuner with dual-gate MOS-FETs front ends, five-pol Phase Linear and Linear Delay filters placed between three ICs and the IF amp, hermetically sealed coils in the MPX section for temperature stabilization, plus FETs controlling the audio gates.

The 3-gang AM section has three IF stages and 18sB / ocatve switchable filters and voltage regulators"

I fall asleep just reading it - but this is the route Linn went down, whereas Naim (during that era) stayed away .......

Skyebridge

Given a 'fix' or equalisation for that in the case of Naim tuners, the next issue is, of course, that the NAT-01 and NAT-101 rely upon discrete power supplies.

Once again, if these are simply 'plugged in' on a north american circuit using a commonly available adaptor, then performance is altered.

Adapter? What adapter? An IEC cord with an Edison plug on the end is all that is required, after rewiring the primary of the Naim power transformer to accept 120V AC.

NONE of these japanese/american confections comes WITHIN A MILE of the slender, specific, dedicated FM tuners produced in britain in the 1960's - 1970's by such firms as Quad, Armstrong and Naim.

The 'surprise' is not that none of them do, its that very many of them do. You can add many European ones too.

Are you seriously suggesting 'slender and slim' tuners have some inherent advantage over the best from Marantz, Yamaha and Revox etc etc.

I think you need to acquire some tuners and do some comparisons and then you wouldn't feel the need to shout WITHIN A MILE, which even reading this thread clearly is not the case.

Actually, when I was a Naim 01 owner I got a little upset with the TIC. As my experience with various tuners has grown, my respect for their assessments has increased. Also, you might want to read their caveats.

Finally, anyone who undertakes an exercise like TIC and then stands there to be shot at deserves at least some credit. And their technical info is generally first class.

I've read many reports that whilst the likes of Naim NAT 01s are stunning audio-wise they aren't very sensitive. This seems to hold true for Quads as well. So they haven't been on my radar as I'm also into DXing. For this the Japanese tuners on the whole seem to be the best.

However, back to personal experience with two Yamaha tuners. Conventional wisdom has it that the T-85 is the best Yamaha if you like DXing. However, I have found that my T-2 is a superior DXer due to slightly better selectivity. Sensitivity is about the same. I've no idea if my T-2 is typical but it would appear that this may be the best Yamaha for a DXer. It also sounds better than the T-85.

As the Americans say, your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Nick

2. Why do people predict the 'end of FM' when these tuners can be used with DACs to continue to provide us with thrill & spills?

Skyebridge

How does one use an ancient FM tuner (let's say a Quad FM3 for argument's sake) with a DAC? Genuinely interested.

James.

Obviously, FM tuner sensitivity is not directly affected by power supply. But since Naim use interconnects to carry both signal and power, the use of a Naim power supply and/or tuner head that has not been properly prepared for use in north america will affect performance (see Yank's post).

When I lived in the USA and Canada I had Kenwood, Yamaha, Luxman and various other 'top' tuners, and to me the difference remained then, as it does now, between capturing signal and reproducing sound. One huge difficulty for the north american 'judges' of world tuners is that the broadcast signal of most US/Canadian FM stations WAS (i can't speak beyond the mid-80's) compressed compared with the signal put out by, say, BBC Radio-3 (at least during parts of its schedule).

I am not comparing statistics - i'm comparing actual peformances, and point out how potentially flawed so-called 'objective' tests may be.

British tuners of the 1960's-70's had an ability to bring the listener closer to the source than anything i know of out of japan or america. this was likely due, at least in part, to the close working relationships between BBC engineers and workshops and firms like Garrard, Armstrong, Quad. from the 1980's, Naim achieved a new peak.

I have not owned a Linn Kremlin, but i have listened to one. i have owned a Linn Pekin, and run it side-by-side with a Nat-05, Nat-01 and Nat-101.

whatever the specifications say, the difference in performance is 'night and day'.

Skyebridge

I admire your patriotism.

Also appreciate that you don't use statisticts or specifications but 'actual performances', which must be a lot better than 'flawed so-called objective tests'.

I've read many reports that whilst the likes of Naim NAT 01s are stunning audio-wise they aren't very sensitive. This seems to hold true for Quads as well. So they haven't been on my radar as I'm also into DXing. For this the Japanese tuners on the whole seem to be the best.

McIntosh MR-78 and MR-80 are the kings of DXing.

I've not heard the NAT01 or Kremlin though I'd love to without having to shell out for one. I have heard the Magnum Dynalabs up to the 108T and they are the best I've heard personally. I have the 102 which I use in balanced mode and it's worth the money. Out of the range it offered the best bang for the buck in terms of engineering content. As Skyebridge says, broadcast conditions here at very different from N.America and I'm sure the FT5500 will play to its strengths there. At this very moment I'm listening to a Troughline/ TdeP valve decoder, atmospheric conditions are fine and the four element yagi on the roof is pointing straight at the transmitter, four miles away across a flat sea....Radio3 is pure bliss.

advertisement

Back