advertisement

Best tuner ever made?

So what did the OP buy in the end?

I’ve owned a few high end tuners including the NAT01 and Sansui TU-9900 (with replaced caps etc). With a very good aerial they are all very good. I can’t say that the extra cost of one over the other is entirely justified.

In fact the Kenwood KT 5020 is in the top 10 and I have one of those spare. Fabulous tuners for tiny money

Before I sold my TU 9900 I did an A/B with my Rega Radio. Very little in it so it was time to cash in

That said, if I had lots of spare dish I wouldn’t mind trying a Magnum Dynalab

I had one of them, together with an ST88 Amp in the Seventies. They weren't the highest fidelity, but as you have said they were great to look at and use.

Jack

s-l300.jpg
I remember ogling them as a school boy in the window of the town tv and audio shop.

I remember ogling them as a school boy in the window of the town tv and audio shop.

I have both of those Sony things. The amp is faulty but the tuner works fine. The amp is partially in bits, and I look at it thinking that if I take any more of it apart it may never go back together - too many components crammed in to too small a space, and at the end of the day, more mid-fi than hi-fi. Worth fixing? Probably if I can find a spare month.

Nice JVC, is it connected to an aerial?

Wow, i've just latched on to the fact that this thread began in 2010?
Is there a happy ending for the OP?

I had one of them, together with an ST88 Amp in the Seventies. They weren't the highest fidelity, but as you have said they were great to look at and use.

Jack

s-l300.jpg
Ooh yes, I had the tuner - first tuner I ever owned. Gave it to a mate when I changed to an Armstrong 6xx some years later.

I bought a Creek T40 with spare change, replaced all the capacitors with better quality (Elna Silmic for most of them) and it sounds great, not sure I need more than that.......

I also have a highly modified Kenwood KT 8300 that sounds more natural and transparent with a very good sensitivity for the basement and when there is a live show on the radio, it’s just like if we were there !

I never heard an Accuphase though but I don’t feel the need to go to this extra step.

Which tuner sounds best is certainly going to be affected by your local RF conditions. Any strong nearby channels or multipath? The actual BBC transmission quality is variable depending on the transmitter equipment, the feed and whether it is RF repeating.

advertisement

Back