advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might give a.05 a try.

Yea i still like 0.90, i actually left 0.99 on by accident for a few hours and had thought that a phase of a break in stage was occurring but realised i had flashed the wrong firmware. Back to 0.90 brought it back.

0.90 seems very similar to 0.99 but 0.99 has less separation in comparison, a.05 and a.09 seem also similar to each other but didn't spend enough time to decide what it was.

Hi, will be picking up my MDAC later today, is there a a quick "hints and tips" post any where, to save me searching through this huge thread?

I'll be running it with a SBT, HK990, PMC FB1+'s.

Thanks in advance.

Leave it on (not necessarily playing anything) for a week. The sound changes as it breaks in.
After that I find it needs about 20 minutes to warm up, so I switch mine off when not is use. Simply switch it on a bit before intending to listen and all is well.
There are a number of different firmwares, easy to install and they change the sound subtly and add certain functionality.
You can push and hold the M-DAC's Volume Knob on power-up to indicate the software versions.

M-Dac wiki is here: http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC

Enjoy!

Hi, will be picking up my MDAC later today, is there a a quick "hints and tips" post any where, to save me searching through this huge thread?

I'll be running it with a SBT, HK990, PMC FB1+'s.

Thanks in advance.

Il try my best but if you need any more info i'm sure me and others will have no problem helping out.
If your using windows as your source make sure all volume controls in the apps and the operating system are set 100 or full, not doing so will induce degradation and distortion. Bit perfect output is highly advisable but can be difficult to setup so just start off by selecting the natural output sample and bit rate that your source files produce, which are most likely 16bit @ 44.1khz unless you have some higher quality files then and only then should you change the output format.
Use only the volume control on the M-dac and if you ever feel you go below -40 for average listening levels then you may want to think about investing in some inline attenuators. Also break in period is expected, many have experienced different phase effects but the general rule of thumb i believe is to expect major changes within 24 hours and then over the next week the finishing tapering of the break in effects.

As far as firmware and filters are concerned they are all subjective and totally up to you and how you feel they reproduce the sound, i suggest however to try stick with filter number 1 (optimal spectrum) and number 2 (optimal transient). Firmware i think is a hit and miss, you will either like the 0.9x or the A.0x, so also try them and with luck you will keep just one :p.

If you have XLR balanced connection capability it is suggested to use those instead of unbalanced, especially for long runs but i'm sure if you keep unbalanced under 1m in length it will be fine. Try not to use long or extended headphone cables in order to reach a appropriate placement or listening position, keep all things as close as possible unless using high quality connectors.

Hello fellow Mdac users!
I have a thought that's been nagging me lately: I really like my MF A5 amp and feel it's got an excellent sinergy with my speakers, but unfortunately it doesn't have balanced inputs, do you think that the SQ difference between balanced and single ended outputs of the Mdac would justify an amplifier change?

Im sorry if i gave that impression but i felt i gave all the information needed and it wasn't exactly a thorough review or any kind of review, merely just a opinion. From stating i compared between 0.9 to 0.99 i made the conclusion from information gathered all the threads i have gone through, that there were no adjustments made in the area of audio output but merely just features and bug fixes. On top of that i know that from the 0.9x to A.x that the entirety of the code was changed in order to clean up and improve flashware features and space (i think) and nothing in the notes state a change in audio yet again, from past post's i believe that john and dom expected a change in audio but didn't know how exactly and that they are trying to figure out what is causing it.

If you have any information stating that flashing every single different firmware has a difference in sound please be my guest and present your information.

My opinion as well.

As ChrisPa says (thanks Chris).

Best not to make any assumptions and try them all.

FYI I prefer vA.05 and have been using it for some weeks.

If you have XLR balanced connection capability it is suggested to use those instead of unbalanced, especially for long runs but i'm sure if you keep unbalanced under 1m in length it will be fine
My interconnects from the MDAC are 0.5m and balanced interconnects made a dramatic difference

YMMV

As ChrisPa says (thanks Chris).

Best not to make any assumptions and try them all.

FYI I prefer vA.05 and have been using it for some weeks.

True, after chris stated their were tonal differences i did go back and redo my testing, i still came back to 0.90 however. :).

My interconnects from the MDAC are 0.5m and balanced interconnects made a dramatic difference

YMMV

I'm also using the XLR output but via XLR to RCA adapters so not getting the full/any benefit of real balanced outputs.

This it just a hangover from how I used my DacMagic which did sound better connected this way.

With the M-DAC, would not be able to hear any difference if I took a blind test but connected this way just in case.

True, after chris stated their were tonal differences i did go back and redo my testing, i still came back to 0.90 however. :).

That's fine.

At least you now know you are getting the best possible SQ until John gets a moment to look into SQ "optimisation" once he gets a decent system going - with MPAX & MAMP.

Hi John

I have a question about the Audiolab M-DAC:

Have I understood it correctly, that the volume controller on this unit is purely digital, and thereby does not affect nor disturb the sound signal ?

Thx in advance for clearing this up for me :)

BR Ole Martin

Just to repeat that everything is system, synergy and personal preference dependent. John's optimisation and preferences may not suit everyone (as we can see from the differences expressed here)

There's a difference between 'removing veils' where most people are in agreement - the power supply upgrades appear to be in this category - and tonal tweaks.

However, sometimes removing a veil exposes something you'd rather not see and a bit of soft-focus may be preferred

Have I understood it correctly, that the volume controller on this unit is purely digital
Yes

and thereby does not affect nor disturb the sound signal ?
That's a very broad statement for anyone to make and is usually only the content of marketing hyperbole (unless you're an ojectivist). It's certainly not a question I'd ask the designer as the answer is almost bound to be interpreted as biased.

It's fair to say that any effects of the digital volume control are below the theoretical nominal levels of of audibility and that the observations here are generally that using digital volume is superior to leaving in a preamplifier

That's not the same as 'does not affect nor disturb the sound signal'

Thx for clearing that up for me, Chris :)

This unit seems like an excellent choice, paired with my Hypex UcD 400 and the lovely pair of ProAc D25 I bought y-day :D
( Can`t wait..; )

It seems like the only remaining challenge, is syncing M-Dac with WinAmp, in my Win 7 64 bit env-ment. ? :p

BR Ole Martin

- As I understand it, winamp is not the preferred mediaplayer, when it comes to 64 bit ASIO drivers etc, but my relationship with winamp goes back 15 years, and I`d hate to end that romance :s

And so to A.05. The best compromise for me. Good frequency balance. Remarkably smooth treble (still lots of it on these recordings). Sibilance as well controlled as A.08 but frequency balance much better. A quick play with OTXD and Minimum Phase filters and phase, and ended up erring towards OTXD for both recordings.

Did you switch back to 0 degree phase whilst using A0.5?

I think I read somewhere that the sound from A0.8 with 180 degree phase was supposed to be the same as A0.5 at 0 degree..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back