advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a cable...

It is a USB to Spdif converter that boasts about reducing jitter.

There is logic to why he can hear a difference... Wether it was positive or negative....

To my ears, the difference is significantly positive. I didn't expect that. Perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me; for now I'll continue to listen and evaluate.

Concerning changing filter setting with v0.90, what would be the safest way to do that without the bug playing tricks on me? Can the Wikkii be updated with more info on this topic since a lot of us have reverted back to the initial version?

To my ears, the difference is significantly positive. I didn't expect that. Perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me; for now I'll continue to listen and evaluate.

Concerning changing filter setting with v0.90, what would be the safest way to do that without the bug playing tricks on me? Can the Wikkii be updated with more info on this topic since a lot of us have reverted back to the initial version?

I had a trial of an Audiophilio and M2 Hiface 2... Difference is there and it is noticeable. Not worth the cost imo though.

I really enjoy the M-DAC. Wont be changing DAC in the near future. However the old USB implementation it utilises is less than ideal and is a low hanging fruit for improvement.

Couple of interesting designs I'm looking over at on DIY audio - that I will follow when I have the time. (more value and more fun then the above)

IIRC, don't change the filter unless you are using the USB input.

You can then use any other input and the filter setting will be retained .

Could it be your additional Usb to spdif filter is also providing electrical isolation between the MDAC and your PC ?

The MDAC's jitter on USB has been independently measured to be pretty low - low enough not to worry about it anymore. However the benefits of a USB isolator have been discussed and came down to the noisyness of source PCs which naturally vary from unit to unit.

Could it be your additional Usb to spdif filter is also providing electrical isolation between the MDAC and your PC ?

The MDAC's jitter on USB has been independently measured to be pretty low - low enough not to worry about it anymore. However the benefits of a USB isolator have been discussed and came down to the noisyness of source PCs which naturally vary from unit to unit.

I thought the same thing - but he was using an olimex USB isolator, I assumed that was why the sound was improving too.

I think we should organise a test!

Hi DTD, the Halide USB to SPDIF converter does not feature galvanic isolation. I do have the Olimex isolator in my USB connections to the M-DAC, but I haven't installed it in the path of the converter. This is one of the reasons why I expected the converter to sound worse than the USB.

A test would be great, but I live in Canada (!) I envy the fact that all the UK guys can get together and try various versions of the M-DAC modified by John. I feel like I'm missing out on something. You'll also have the opportunity to buy the MPAX when it comes out. I've thoroughly enjoyed this friendly and informative thread on the M-DAC which I've been following since the beginning. Just wished I was closer to the action :(

Martin

That's good to know the isolator isn't in place. Be interesting if you swap it in after a few days to see if you notice a difference? That Halide unit is a little pricey mind!

It's far more stable, especially when driving a USB DAC.

After you've installed it, go to preferences / output and select the WASAPI (event) option.

Wasapi 3.0 working perfect. :)

Which setting should I choose from D3E Decorrelator?

Probably not, because it does not support WASAPI, ASIO or KS, one of which is necessary (or at least highly desirable) if bit perfect output is required.

Interesting, is there a way to modify wmp to support wasapi ??, I love the organisation in wmp.

First thing to do would be get the bit perfect test files and try it.. That way you can test each thing you try.

First thing to do would be get the bit perfect test files and try it.. That way you can test each thing you try.

WMP is Bit accurate for Windows XP - with later versions the Windows limiter messes everything up...

We have heard it can be, with some "DirectShow filter" apparently.

Dominik says:-

"Something called Resynch or somesuch, used to synchronize audio with video, it takes over the output and I believe can redirect it to Kernel Streaming"

"Never really looked into it, just poped of my memory"

So might be worth searching for clues on the internet.

Sorry I'd look in to it for you, but I'm so disparately short for time ATM... I have the BDAC’s PCB release target deadline for the end of this month…

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back