advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you switch back to 0 degree phase whilst using A0.5?
Yes, backwards and forwards between the phase settings

I think I read somewhere that the sound from A0.8 with 180 degree phase was supposed to be the same as A0.5 at 0 degree..?
That's not the way I heard it last night. On A.05 I couldn't really notice any difference between the phase settings (what I heard on A.08 may have been imaginary, of course)

And to me A.08 was noticeably bass light (or had noticeably more treble energy) than A.05. To be fair I didn't change back to A.08 after A.05, and I'd had 0.90 in between so I may not have remembered accurately enough, but I know I was dissatisfied with A.08 (and 0.90 for different reasons) and didn't feel that way on changing to A.05 (may just have been bored by then :) - though I can't have been that bored as I then sat and typed up my observations while listening to more music)

Got my Mdac. Connected it to my Squeezebox Touch via the USB. Had 2 choices for connection to my Harmon HK990

1. Unbalanced direct into the power amp section, and use the Mdac as a pre amp
2. Balanced into pre amp section of the HK990.

You can’t assign the XLR inputs to the power amp inputs of the HK990 so I had to chose between these 2 options. Listened to both quickly and preferred the sound via the balanced inputs. It just seemed warmer, with a fuller low end.

Initial impressions are very good, even the wife commented on how good the stereo suddenly sounded! It’s a definite improvement on using the dac’s in the HK990.

I would still try Option 1. I have the same amp, big improvement bypassing the pre-amp. Better resolution, better body, deeper soundstage etc.

Don't forget to lower the processor's input gain - set it to its lowest at first (-24db) and work from there. That's where some of the gains come from at normal listening volumes - keeping the MDAC in its sweet zone (-20db and above).

Got my Mdac. Connected it to my Squeezebox Touch via the USB. Had 2 choices for connection to my Harmon HK990

1. Unbalanced direct into the power amp section, and use the Mdac as a pre amp
2. Balanced into pre amp section of the HK990.

You can’t assign the XLR inputs to the power amp inputs of the HK990 so I had to chose between these 2 options. Listened to both quickly and preferred the sound via the balanced inputs. It just seemed warmer, with a fuller low end.

Initial impressions are very good, even the wife commented on how good the stereo suddenly sounded! It’s a definite improvement on using the dac’s in the HK990.

No, I meant did you 'settle' on 0 degree phase on A.05 as your preferred option in the end?

I believe the Phase option in vA.05 is "Phase invert" which was added from v0.99.

In vA.06, quoting from the wiki, 'menu option Phase Select does it's business by inverting data before it hits the DAC chip as opposed to flipping the phase ahead of DAC array'

To quote JohnW 'The "Phase select" Menu option selects between the "apparent" Sound quality variations of A0.4 / A0.5 :-

A0.4 0 Deg
A0.5 180 Deg

Note: the SQ effects are due to second order processing of the Digital data on the DAC die (Processing 1's instead of 0's), and not related to the "Absolute Phase" of the audio system.'

No, I meant did you 'settle' on 0 degree phase on A.05 as your preferred option in the end?

I'll go and check
STEP.. Step .. step.. step.. step.. step.. step..

step.. step.. step.. step.. step.. Step .. STEP..

0 deg

Really, as I said, with A.05 I couldn't hear the difference with phase that I heard with A.08, so I just left it on 0 degrees. It wasn't a 'preferred' option. I found no preference

Note: the SQ effects are due to second order processing of the Digital data on the DAC die (Processing 1's instead of 0's), and not related to the "Absolute Phase" of the audio system.'

I simply cannot believe that to be true. The chip must be uniquely flawed for that to be the case as it would mean that the very D/A task is utterly ruined by audible signal correlated noise. Which the noise specs simply do not support.

I simply cannot believe that to be true. The chip must be uniquely flawed for that to be the case as it would mean that the very D/A task is utterly ruined by audible signal correlated noise. Which the noise specs simply do not support.

Yep - appears to be the case.

I have now been able to "indirectly" measure the effect by performing an FFT on the DAC 1.2V core supply to the digital sections - you can see different spurie products caused by the digital processing - with the Phase flip resulting in different spurie patterns.

I say indirectly as there's bugger all measurable difference on the audio output.. Still nice to be able to measure a difference somewhere at least...

Noise on the DAC's substrate will invulnerably modulate the internal Clock tree, hence effect the Audio conversion - this Jitter might be "hidden" read de-correlated by the use of a Multibit DAC array, but it will still be there just "Spread" into "noise" which will no longer be our idealised white noise......

The BDAC has a different PSU topology - which should be better able to cope with the nasty load spikes caused by Digital processing, so I'm expected lower PSU noise across a wider BW... at least according to simulations - almost 40dB lower (x100 times lower)...

John - currently really suffering designing the BDAC PCB, and still not updated Sam's or your MDAC...

It's Join's suggestion that this is the case. That's what d3e it's all about - keeping the internal currents under control

In other threads over on diyaudio, it's been noted that the sabre needs well regulated supplies to achieve it's noise figures and doesn't have particularly good pssr

Edit - John beat me to it - hello John

John - currently really suffering designing the BDAC PCB, and still not updated Sam's or your MDAC...

No panic, its giving me a chance to refine my DIY PCM2702 solution.. PSU tweaks make a big difference!

Sam

Winamp has an excellent media library implementation IMHO

Got to agree, Winamp would easily be my preferred music library interface - among other things it's got the most elegant and powerful search engine I've come across. If only it could be made to control the SBT, that'd be a dream come true.

Hey sam are you able to tell me how you get wasapi on XBMC, i assume its a config command inside a .ini file somewhere ?.

Appreciate it.

I am also very interested in geeting my XBMC to put out bit perfect signals.
I have tried the monthly build of XBMC wich have a new audio engine, but no luck. Back to XBMC 11 eden now, but still no bit perfect.
I also have issues with getting my MacMini to work together with the M-DAC via USB. Works fine when i play music, but when i try a movie, with 5.1 the player almost freezes. I get a fps around 7 instead of 24 as it should be. And the DAC is only supposed to bypass the 5.1 to my processor.
USB works fine playing music on my Audirvana player and passing the bit perfect test, even works great with high resolution audio as long as it is two chanel audio.

Didnt knowingly do anything special, pc already had wasapi from my previous use of Mediamonkey.. Installed XBMC (eden) , in the list out output devices in XBMCs setup screen is an option for Wasapi - USB Device.. Picked that, tested it and passed first time.

Sam

I'll go and check
STEP.. Step .. step.. step.. step.. step.. step..

step.. step.. step.. step.. step.. Step .. STEP..

0 deg

Really, as I said, with A.05 I couldn't hear the difference with phase that I heard with A.08, so I just left it on 0 degrees. It wasn't a 'preferred' option. I found no preference

I'm there now, thanks :)

Most of the tech-stuff on this thread is way over my head and if I try to re-read too many times, it has me reaching for the Anadin Xtra...

Didnt knowingly do anything special, pc already had wasapi from my previous use of Mediamonkey.. Installed XBMC (eden) , in the list out output devices in XBMCs setup screen is an option for Wasapi - USB Device.. Picked that, tested it and passed first time.

Sam

Yep there it is, WASAPI in output devices, looked their but didn't click through all the options xD. Thanks sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back